LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Should I buy a Compaq Presario CQ50-106

Ankit Garg

Hi!

I am interested in buying a laptop with a decent graphics processor. I have come accross Compaq Presario CQ50-106 which fits in my budget. I just want your opinion on how it will perform. These are the specifications

Processor : AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core Processor QL-60 (1.9 GHz)

Chipset : NVIDIA MCP77MV chipset

Memory : 1GB DDR2 (667 MHz)

Hard Disk : 160 GB SATA

Display : 15.4" WXGA TFT with Bright View Screen Technology

Hard Drive : 8X SuperMulti Drive Double Layer (8.5 GB) DVD Writer

Graphics : NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8200M, Up to 128 MB shared video memory

I just want to know if this one would be able to play games like NFS Pro Street, Hitman Blood Money, Splinter Cell Double Helix, GTA 4 etc. I just want to play some new games and I can settle with medium details. Will the graphics card on this one able to satisfy what I need.

Any opinion will be valuable.

Thanks in advance :)

That GPU is an integrated nvidia, not a dedicated, and it is is really slow, I don't think you will be able to play these games even on low settings with an acceptable framerate

I reccomend you buy laptop with a graphics card like 9500M or better

Can anyone suggest any other laptop which can fulfill my needs. I am from India and my budget is around 40,000 Rs...

8200 would have been decent for gaming, 4 years ago.

What is that budget equivalent in USD?

You should aim for a 8600M/9600M GT or 9700M GTS or any 9800 card.

If you get a 9800M GT/GTS/GTX card, you can probably skimp on all the other laptop components, if you just want to game.

• 1 month later...
Guest Eric Abraham Martinez

Honestly I dont recommend you this laptop, I own one and have a lot of problems

1.- cheap and poor keayboard, it doesnt was designed with programmers or high uptime use in mind

2.- the lcd dont keep its place, if you carry this notebook from one place to another the screen movement appears to be like a plane wing in crosswind

3.-poor battery, with only 2000 mAh compared to other models it's the half power, if I try to use my notebook configured at "high performance" mode

battery only works fine about 1 hour roughly

hope this could be helpful

• 4 weeks later...

i also have the same laptop but unlike the last guy to post i dont have any real problems with it. the keyboard is a bit poor but i get about 2.5 hrs on the battery if im watching dvds. i can play call of duty 4 and world in conflict with no real problems at all. and AMD has software on there website to make your cpu a bit better for gaming. i dont have any problems with my lcd either. im starting to think maybe the last guy to post got a return sold to him as new or something. all in all im happy with it for the price i payed ($450). but what you really need to do is look at how much time youre going to spend on it doing what and decide if it will fit your needs.

i did upgrade the ram cause 1 gig isnt quite enough to do allot of the things i want. i would say for gaming hardcore and allot you should probably look for something with a bit more cpu tho 1.9ghz heats up kinda quick on a laptop when its gotta do the kind of math some of the new games require.

• 1 month later...
Guest HEMOO

they don't know about laptop cq50

i have cq50 107ee and my 8200 is doing well

COD 4 very high 1280x800 FBS:15

NFS PROSTREET very high 1024x768 FBS:17

NFS UNDERCOVER very high and shadow high 1024x768 FBS:12

CRYSIS high 800x600 FBS:9

THEN IT IS GOOD GRAPHIC CARD BECAUSE YOU HAVE BETTER VGA CARD THEN YOU SAID SOMTHING NOT HAPPENED.