LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Very serious overheating problem! Help needed!

ninja_pig

As most of you know, I've overclocked my 9600m gt to a 9700m gt. It all worked for a couple of days, than the problems started. Very peculiar problems. Laptop started overheating on the FurMark stress test. Temperatures hit over 95 degrees! I reflashed the original BIOS ( original clocks ), and the same thing happens. Now, when I remember, the same thing happened before even flashing anything, but I did not give it much thought.

And the weirdest thing, laptop only overheats when horizontal ( placed on the glass surface table )! I raised it horizontally for about 30 centimeters from the table, held it by the very edges so I don't obstruct the airflow. It overheated in about two minutes of the stress test ( from 45 degrees idle to over 100 degrees celsius ). But the laptop is mildly warm, not hot!. No hot spots, no overheating that I can feel by touching it on the keyboard, upper or underside. The air coming out of the laptop vent was same as when it is idle ( idle warmth ).

Then, I placed it vertically ( on the side ), screen opened at an angle of about 90 degrees, and started the stress test. The temperature was around 82 to 85 degrees. It did not rise any further. 85 was the temperature maximum. As soon as I took it and placed it horizontally with my hands, 30 centimeters from the table, it has risen to about 95...

What gives? Where is the problem?

LAPTOP PLACED HORIZONTALLY - ON THE TABLE OR RAISED IN THE AIR ---> OVERHEATING!

LAPTOP PLACED VERTICALLY ( ON THE SIDE ) ---> NO PROBLEM!

Fans kick in when they should, everything is clean, processor is undervolted... I'm pulling my hair out here!

Help!

Edited by ninja_pig

Warm air moves upwards, in horizontal it tries to go thru your lappie, in vertical it flows easier out.

That is true ( the warm air physics thing ), but this is too much ( 20 degrees temperature difference ). Could this be because of some manufacturing, or a sensor problem? The laptop is not hot, just very mildly warm, just as on idle. And one more thing. When the stress test reaches 105, the critical temperature protection of the 9600m gt DOES NOT KICK IN!

Edited by ninja_pig

Everything's cool, guys. The highest temp this card is running is 95 degrees, after a combined furmark / orthos stress test for an hour. The problem was in RMClock. When I had it turned off, or upped the voltage a bit, everything was perfect. The highest was not 105, but 95.

I don't see the connection between the two... but it is there. So, if you experience temperature problems, try to rise the proc. voltage a bit. Worked for me.

Edited by ninja_pig

holy s*** !! u could cook on that thing !! please make sure there is no dust inside of your lappy , and also what driver are u running ??

Well, this thing is cleaner than clean. Absolutely no dust inside. And the thing is, the maximum temperature was achieved using Orthos and FurMark ( 1440x900, 32MSAA, stability test ) at the same time. Both cores were running at 100 percent, and the card was fully loaded.

MAX critical temp during the stress test was 95, and max 72 to 75 on any game I tried for atleast two hours ( Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2, Trials 2 Second Edition, Gears Of War... )

RMClock is to blame! I removed it, and when it restored my processor to it's original voltage, everything was fine.

Well, this thing is cleaner than clean. Absolutely no dust inside. And the thing is, the maximum temperature was achieved using Orthos and FurMark ( 1440x900, 32MSAA, stability test ) at the same time. Both cores were running at 100 percent, and the card was fully loaded.

MAX critical temp during the stress test was 95, and max 72 to 75 on any game I tried for atleast two hours ( Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2, Trials 2 Second Edition, Gears Of War... )

RMClock is to blame! I removed it, and when it restored my processor to it's original voltage, everything was fine.

I am having the exact same problem as you did. My GPU temps are hitting 90+ in about 2 mins of Furmark. But the thing is I never used RMClock, so I wonder what the problem is. =\

I am having the exact same problem as you did. My GPU temps are hitting 90+ in about 2 mins of Furmark. But the thing is I never used RMClock, so I wonder what the problem is. =\

I really don't know what the problem could be... I was stumped myself. Please, do try a couple of temp monitoring tools like Everest, Speedfan and Rivatuner and come back with the temps. Could very well be some software problem...

Edited by ninja_pig

I really don't know what the problem could be... I was stumped myself. Please, do try a couple of temp monitoring tools like Everest, Speedfan and Rivatuner and come back with the temps. Could very well be some software problem...

I use HW Monitor to check my temps. After playing any game for about 10 mins, my temps are 85 - 90C, which is extremely high. I do have my laptop lifted and I also stuck a fan undearneath the GPU intake. Also when the temps hit 90C or so, the air flow coming out of the GPU is not hot at all. Matter of fact, its kinda cool...so I am not sure what the problem is =\.

Also, this is a brand new laptop so no dust issues or anything.

you'v try to change termal paste??? (use Artic Silver 5 decrease temperature)

• 2 weeks later...
LAPTOP PLACED HORIZONTALLY - ON THE TABLE OR RAISED IN THE AIR ---> OVERHEATING!

LAPTOP PLACED VERTICALLY ( ON THE SIDE ) ---> NO PROBLEM!

Fans kick in when they should, everything is clean, processor is undervolted... I'm pulling my hair out here!

Help!

Put your laptop upside-down. It'll make us laugh badly and your temp probably goes down like hell since you might smash that crap instantly.

Note: with NVIDIA control panel, it is possible to rotate your screen though. Get your self external keyboard and mouse. Plus a very nice frame to hang it upside down LOL !!!!!!

Good experiment though LOL

Hmmmm I wonder why NinjaPig becomes so silent?

Did you fry your graphic card?