LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J

Linkz

Hi all ive had my vgn-ar51j about a year now and its performance is really disapointing. It has the Nvidia 8400M GT 128mb onboard GPU. Left 4 Dead I have about 20 - 40FPS. World of Warcraft about the same. Im using all the default drivers that where preinstalled on the laptop when i bought it brand new at PC World. I have tried looking for new drivers but NONE seem to work. Any help and direction to some nice new shiney drivers would be great.

Thanks

Shaun

I have tried looking for new drivers but NONE seem to work.

You need to use modded inf. Read guides.

If you don't wanna bother with this get 178.24 or 180.44 by Dox from my sig.

thanks. the laptop chipset is the Intel 965m. i tried updating these too but they wont install. I know this laptop should run better but it just feels so chokey. is there anything else i can get to speed this puppy up

Can you post what error message appears or what happens after you run the setup file? Also make sure you uninstall your previous driver before installing a new one. Using Driver Sweeper program to delete left out files may also be needed.

basically says the driver im trying to install doesnt correspond to anything that i have on my laptop

basically says the driver im trying to install doesnt correspond to anything that i have on my laptop

That happens if you don't use modded inf. You have to download the drv_inf.gifModded INF (from the same thread you got the driver from) and put it in the directory where you extracted the driver (overwrite the original one). It won't install without the modded inf.

You don't have to do it with 178.24 and 180.44 both customized by Dox.

If that doesn't help then I'm helpless

got the 17x installed now which is good there is a slight increase in performance. Now i would like to upgrade other drivers for this laptop for everything else, can u help with these? Ive tried the sony site, the intel site and neither really provide any updated drivers :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, i am also looking for sony drivers but i need ones for the AR51M. Have been looking but dont know which to even try. Can anyone offer some assistance! Also has anyone overclocked one of these laptops as i would like to know what it can take.

Thanks