LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Extremely low fps in WoW

matt151

I just recently came back to WoW after a few month break before the new expansion. Well now the new expansion is out and im back to WoW but my FPS is extremely low now, in the 1-10 range. Before I quit I would stay steady at about 25-30 fps with no problems at all. I know the grpahics have been enhanced but that shouldn't matter as I am running everything on the lowest setting at a 800x600 res. When I first log into the game my FPS will be fine around 30 but then after about 3 minutes it will suddenly drop out of nowhere and never climb back up. I've posted numerous times on the WoW tech forums but I keep getting useless answers or just ignored.

Im running vista 32

2gb ram

256 shared video

Amd turion 64x2

what nvidia card have you go? and what driver are you using? are you overclocking?

this will help me answer your problem.

Most often its the GPU downclocking because of heat/ overclocking too much.

what nvidia card have you go? and what driver are you using? are you overclocking?

this will help me answer your problem.

Most often its the GPU downclocking because of heat/ overclocking too much.

No overclocking

geforce 7000m

driver: 7.15.11.6749

Update your driver, try DOX's new ones with the powermizer utility in.

Also try running wow with the -nosound command, as that can improve FPS, as you say you already have all the ingame video options on low and low res and no AA etc.

The game has changed since you last played and your graphics are basically no longer good enough.

you currently have 167.49

i would suggest 179.14

available here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showforum=110

download driver and modified inf file. extract the driver to a folder, then copy the modified inf file to that same folder. then run setup.exe

Best performing driver to date.

Also try using an application called RMclock

go through the settings and see what you can change. look at CPU and CHIPSET and untick all the boxes. also change the pulldown menu and set it to "maxamum performance."

hope this helps

regards,

Hamish

you currently have 167.49

i would suggest 179.14

available here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showforum=110

download driver and modified inf file. extract the driver to a folder, then copy the modified inf file to that same folder. then run setup.exe

Best performing driver to date.

Also try using an application called RMclock

go through the settings and see what you can change. look at CPU and CHIPSET and untick all the boxes. also change the pulldown menu and set it to "maxamum performance."

hope this helps

regards,

Hamish

Thanks, ive been looking for a newer driver for a while. But I'm still having issues, ill log in and have a steady 30-35 fps and then it will drop to like 8 and refuse to climb back up.

Thats a heat Problem I think. I have the same problem when the laptop stands not on a desk but on my couch or bed for example. Then after a few minutes the fps go extremly down until the notebook cooled up a bit.

Probably heat related, but the driver can crash/misbehave even when the temperatures aren't so high. Another driver may be better.

like zipper said. sounds like a heat issue if you have tried many drivers. you could try rivatuner and 'force constant performance' do a search and see how to do this. then you can be sure if its heat or not

I just recently came back to WoW after a few month break before the new expansion. Well now the new expansion is out and im back to WoW but my FPS is extremely low now, in the 1-10 range. Before I quit I would stay steady at about 25-30 fps with no problems at all. I know the grpahics have been enhanced but that shouldn't matter as I am running everything on the lowest setting at a 800x600 res. When I first log into the game my FPS will be fine around 30 but then after about 3 minutes it will suddenly drop out of nowhere and never climb back up. I've posted numerous times on the WoW tech forums but I keep getting useless answers or just ignored.

Im running vista 32

2gb ram

256 shared video

Amd turion 64x2

1) Drivers? When was the last time you updated?

2) Defragment? When was the last time?

3) Where is this happening at? Not ingame but i mean are you at a hard surface or a couch?

4) could be a spyware problem, do you have anything at removes it?

5) If you have ntune, use the nVidia monitor to log your GPU Temp changes every 5 seconds, make the file no bigger than 54mb, restart than start playing WoW. When your fps drop see how much the temp changes. If it isn't over say 75-80 its not really a problem.

6) Sense WoW expan came out are their any problems that activision-blizzard released reguarding fps issues? I don't play the dumb game so i dun have a clue.

Edited by Squall_Rinoa89

1) Drivers? When was the last time you updated?

2) Defragment? When was the last time?

3) Where is this happening at? Not ingame but i mean are you at a hard surface or a couch?

4) could be a spyware problem, do you have anything at removes it?

5) If you have ntune, use the nVidia monitor to log your GPU Temp changes every 5 seconds, make the file no bigger than 54mb, restart than start playing WoW. When your fps drop see how much the temp changes. If it isn't over say 75-80 its not really a problem.

6) Sense WoW expan came out are their any problems that activision-blizzard released reguarding fps issues? I don't play the dumb game so i dun have a clue.

1. A few days ago

2. Not recently

3. Usually on my lap

4. I do nightly scans and haven't found anything

5. n/a

6. no

Also i've noticed that my sound gets distorted as soon as my fps drops.

1. A few days ago

2. Not recently

3. Usually on my lap

4. I do nightly scans and haven't found anything

5. n/a

6. no

Also i've noticed that my sound gets distorted as soon as my fps drops.

motherboard issue? I know Dell & nVidia have been having a ton of issues and im not sure if its just a dell thing or not.

Try defragmenting, see if it helps. I use AusLogics Disk Defragmenter (Google it). It's much faster than the microsoft one and i haven't had a problems. Defragmenter is free but to remove junk files you need to buy the program. I just use it as a disc defragmenter. Vista one blows.

Hmm, in German Blizzard Forums I see quiet a lot people complaining about huge FPS drops since the expansion.

Some of them claim, their mashines run Crysis on max settings fine but have like 20 FPS in WOW.

The only thing the Admins tell you then is usualy, that the GFX of WOW had been improved with the addon.

Viewing distance was increased from 800 yards to 1300 yards (can be pushed til 2000 yards by a console command btw). Groundeffect density (gras and the like) was increased, water reflection added, a new glowing effect and new "real" shadows. Also, the new continent has much more objects standing around than the old continents. Even with the same settings, you should have lower FPS on newer continents (the continent of the first addon dropped FPS to 50% compared to the original continents for example)

Suposedly, if you put all the sliders to middle position, you get what was the max position before the addon. But "Matt" claims, he playes the game on minimum settings. :)

Well, I recall that the new shadows arent the same as the old, even on lowest settting. There is a command, to be placed into a file, to go back to the old shadows. But I cant find it.

Still there is this problem of people with absolute high spec mashines, that cannot be explained by this.

motherboard issue? I know Dell & nVidia have been having a ton of issues and im not sure if its just a dell thing or not.

Try defragmenting, see if it helps. I use AusLogics Disk Defragmenter (Google it). It's much faster than the microsoft one and i haven't had a problems. Defragmenter is free but to remove junk files you need to buy the program. I just use it as a disc defragmenter. Vista one blows.

defragged, still having the problem. Yesterday my laptop had been turned off for a while and i went to play it and placed it on my desk. I started up wow and had fine fps for about 12 minutes, longer than usual and then it dropped.

Yea I think the issue is the fan because i have usually 30 fps and when the fan turns on I only have 1-10. Please email me at insanerocker123@gmail.com with any feedback to help me resolve this issue. Thanks.