Underscan Issue - 8800M GTS HDMI

Guest Matthew

Guest Matthew

Hi all, at the brink of frustration so here goes:

* Laptop: Gateway FX-6831

* V-card: 8800M GTS

* Driver version: 7.15.11.7735

* Vista Home Premium

My issue is, when I use the HDMI plug and go directly to my Westinghouse LVM-47w1 (or my roomate's Vizio 42" 1080p), I get the dreaded "black bars' around my screen. It's sending the 1080p signal but "scrunching" it down a bit. I've tried multiple resolutions (only 480p does not underscan), multiple refresh rate tweeking, and attempted to use powerstrip to no avail.

Does anyone have some advice? All my search results have been from problems 2+ years ago, but some recent posts say that this is still a known issue with nvidia's control panel. FYI when I try to use "Resize HDTV desktop," it doesn't actually do anything.

More information available upon request.

Thanks

The custom resolution page should have a "Force HD resolution" option or something similar.

At least I have this option with 177.92 and newer. (not sure when they added this option exactly)

That will let you force standard 1080p output like you would get from a 360/PS3/blu ray player, ect.

The other option is to use custom timings for your LCD that would be provided by your manufacturer.

Guest Matthew

Thanks Bill for the heads up - I went ahead and updated to the latest 180 series drivers, and it appears to fixed now. Still took some finagling and I hope the settings hold when I replug the TV in (too scared to test it out right now!), but I'm sure I can get a workaround again if I have to. Thanks a lot.

If the "finagling" was more than checking that box I mentioned you should post about it so other people know how you fixed the problem.

I had HDMI issues for a long time with my projector that weren't fixed till I got drivers with that checkbox.

The driver will/should remember custom resolution settings if you unplug the monitor. You should be able to unplug it, turn the laptop off, ect, and plug it in a month later and it should still remember the setting.

However most likely every time you change drivers the settings will be lost, so write them down somewhere.

The 18x series are still a little buggy so it wouldn't surprise me if the settings didn't stick. You may wanna go for a 177/178 driver.

Guest Matthew
If the "finagling" was more than checking that box I mentioned you should post about it so other people know how you fixed the problem.

I had HDMI issues for a long time with my projector that weren't fixed till I got drivers with that checkbox.

The driver will/should remember custom resolution settings if you unplug the monitor. You should be able to unplug it, turn the laptop off, ect, and plug it in a month later and it should still remember the setting.

However most likely every time you change drivers the settings will be lost, so write them down somewhere.

The 18x series are still a little buggy so it wouldn't surprise me if the settings didn't stick. You may wanna go for a 177/178 driver.

Sorry, should have specified:

In my original version of the driver, I did not have the "force HD" checkbox, but I did have a "force non standard resolution" box or something to that effect. After updating, the box it self did not prove to be the solution. I could not, and still can not, run a custom resolution test for 1080p resolution, but after changing the resolution in the resolution tab from 1080p to 720p and then back to 1080p, it appears it fixed the solution. I'm not positive if the "force HD" checkbox was the solution, but it didn't hurt.