LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware m9700 SLI problems

Goddchen

hi all :)

i've alredy read and tried the guides mentioned here in the forum, without success :)

i'm having an alienware m9700 with 2 Geforce 7900GS (256mb).

i can enable SLI without problems. the problem is: with sli, i get less fps / 3dmarks than without SLI. besides, i think i get low fps / 3dmarks at all (3000 3dmarks with SLI, 3300 without SLI). Farcry 2 for example lags a lot even at 1024x768 all setting at lowest possible. :P

i have newest nforce chipset driver installed and i tried the driver from alienware support, the laster 178 driver as well as the new 180 driver. no big difference between them...

any ideas?

by the way, what does that SLI cable do? i plugged it out and started the notebook, and i was able to enable SLI anyways... what is this cable good for?

[EDIT] To clarify things: i don not speak of the sli connector chip, there's also a cable which connects both cards directly, it can be seen here

http://4help.alienware.com/cgi-bin/alienwa...%2BrVqBLQ%3D%0A

Goddchen

Edited by Goddchen

the sli bridge cable allows the cards to communicate directly. Without the cable, sli is possible but the cards talk over the pci-e bus thus reducing performance.

the sli bridge cable allows the cards to communicate directly. Without the cable, sli is possible but the cards talk over the pci-e bus thus reducing performance.

ok got that: ) is there any way to check whether my cable is working or not?

because you are getting different results in 3dmark '06 then it certianly seems that SLi is not working. Especially seeing as you get less performance in 3dmark 06 when enabling SLi. (this is probably due to CPU performance dropping trying to work with SLi)

You can try the cable, it would be a cheep option to see if it solves the issue. i assume you are not under warantee?

• 10 months later...
Guest cmcomputerrepair

hi my name is chris. saw the picture. i REALLY need that cable. anyone know where to get it? i have been frantically searching all over the net (literally) and cannot find this darn cable. any help is appreciated. thanks guys! btw the cable probably is working, but rather there could be other problems with the card itself. also is there a difference between the parent and child cards?? or can i just put two identical cards of the same type in there? that i really dont know. never had to care until i had to repair the alienware series last week.