LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba Qosmio 305-706 graphics problem

Guest derkaren

Guest derkaren

I have been fighting this all night and am very frustrated...i have a toshiba qosmio x305-706 with dual nvidia 9800m gts and the SLI crap. I wiped my drive while upgrading vista home to vista ultimate 32bit--bad move. Stupid- thought i had the recovery dvd but didnt. Called toshiba and there are no drivers for download---amazingly. I have tried installing the different drivers found here, followed the instructions, etc. Everytime i reboot the nvidia drivers fail and i am back to "standard vga device." The error is almost always "ERROR CODE 31-device cannot start" or "Windows found a driver for this device but an error occured while installing". The device manager also shows errors on the 3d video controller and ethernet controller. I ran the techpowerupGPU and it thinks its running the ForceWare 179.14 driver-but Windows says different...ithe cards are definitely not working/recognizecd..0 memory, etc. BIOS version listed is 62.94.50.00.16. I don't have much experience with laptops and any help at all would be greatly appreciated!.....

so you are using driver from our site, and the modified inf files that we provide also?

try installing a 180 series driver. they are pretyt bad, but bear with me. They have an auto-uninstallation feature, that happens before the new driver is installed. Try if that works.

(remember to use the modified inf file also)

Guest derkaren

Thanks for the response....i tried this. The cards will show up in the device manager by name occasionally- but wont start ever..same error.can't load drivers error code 31. Same conflict with 3d controller and ethernet.

have you tried the application called 'driver sweeper'

boot to safe mode, and run this application. this will clean all nvidia *.dll files out of your system. then you should be able to install your driver of choice.

Guest derkaren
have you tried the application called 'driver sweeper'

boot to safe mode, and run this application. this will clean all nvidia *.dll files out of your system. then you should be able to install your driver of choice.

Thanks! I did this, installed the drivers and it finally worked. Your help is much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! I did this, installed the drivers and it finally worked. Your help is much appreciated.

what exactly did you do? I have the exact same computer and I cannot get these drivers to work at all :)

download the app called 'driver sweeper' then boot to safe mode and run the programme. it will clean out all nvidia files from the system. then whenu boot to windows, u will be able to install any driver u wish. If u are after one from this site then u will need the modified inf also.

read the FAQ to find how to install.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, wondering which drivers you installed? So far most everything I've tried except for the 176.49 release that Toshiba supplies either won't install, or crashes Vista on login.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i just upgraded to this system, try the 185.20 drivers, no modded inf, and all goes well, hybrid SLI working well, and these seem to be the only working drivers to support physx on our systems

• 2 months later...

Hey dude i need to know what driver are you installed exactly? i tryed everything here and this is no working =(

currently i am using the 182.46 drivers, replace the original inf with the inf from the forum, use driver sweeper to remove old drivers install these, but watch the prompts, i think it took me 3 reboots to finish installing these. just read everthing as it comes along. after, also install the most recent physx drivers, make sure your power profile is set for multi-gpu enabled, and nvidia controll panel has physx enabled. hope it helps.

i have tryed this driver, works very fast with applications, but not with games. I have a many artefacts in games... any idea? =(

no, i use this driver to play:

Oblivion

GTA IV

Crysis (and Warhead)

Fallout 3

Bioshock

left 4 dead

The Witcher Enhanced Edidtion

all problem free all but GTA on max settings, on GTA textures are med, everything else is maxxed, all avg. over 25 FPS. do you overclock? these drivers do run about 5 degrees hotter, if you oc you might want to turn it down. currently i run these speeds:

182.46 CPU 2267MHz 600/799/1500 Core/Mem/Shader

3dmark06 9836

sm2 4310

sm3 5146

cpu 2016

3dmark Vantage p7832

GPU 6629

CPU 17176

182.06 CPU 2550MHz 720/950/1750 Core/Mem/Shader

3dmark06 11070

sm2 4848

sm3 5818

cpu 2257

3dmark Vantage p9227

GPU 7843

CPU 19603

You know where i can get 181.11 or stock 176.49 drivers?

any of the drivers here should be considered stock untill the modded inf is put in. what i was saying about overfclocking is that it can cause the display artifacts if you oc too far, if you are already having these problems then you should not do this untill it looks right at stock settings. have you instaqlled the latest nforce drivers? which os version are you running? what about physx drivers? are they the current whql drivers? get physx here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0203_whql.html have you also updated your directx? i know i saw a recent post about a directx update, try all of these, and get back to me...

Guest Guest SanekN

hi! thank you very much for your help!

i dont overclock =( i dont know where i can find nforce drivers, tryed to google, but found just an old version. It's MCP79 isn't it? I have vista 32 bits, i have installed the last physix, also updated my directx!

I tryed to tell about that at service center, dude say its not normal and i have to give my laptop to the service...

i dont think the Qosmio X300-14n has sli, or the nForce chipset required to install nforce drivers. try running cpuid and tell me what chipset it lists for you as having. there are other tools to OC a intell chipset. you can use ntune to oc your graphics card. i just dont suggest it untill you have a driver providing good native support. you could also try modding the inf for the 185.66 drivers and installing them. they work VERY well for my system.

Guest Guest Sanekn

yeah, it has sli! its nforce 730i chipset inside with 9400M! I try to install 185.66 drivers, butt i think this is a problem of graphic cards... =(

then the next thing to do is measure the temps on the cards to see if it is hardwarew related. i would recoment downloading gpu-z and using it to record the temps on the 9800's right now after 3 hours playing crysis my temps max at 93C but at desktop or net surfing sit near 45C. post back with some temp data. you could also use cpuid hardware monitor to measure min/max temps.

Guest SanekN

is it a 1.50 bios for ours laptops is newest? why it hasn't 1.90 bios support? =/ Called a support, the guy told me to use stock drivers or try to update bios firstly... But for pqx31u laptops i can't find anything, the only think i find is 1.50 bios =( I cant measure the temps, i have a bsod direcly with games and mark06 =) But in windows i have 50-53C...

the 1.5 bios is for those qosmio models with the intell chipset. yours is the latest bios for the nforce chipset that you have. it does seem to be a temp issue with those temps. what about clock? use nvidia system tools or gpu-z to measure clock speeds as well as temps, is powermizer kicking in for your system? cause if those temps are for low 3d power mode, you really do have a hardware issue. if all else fail, do what the toshiba rep asks, when it doesnt help... send it in for repair. sorry for the bad news (i think) but get back to me with clock speeds, etc...