LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 180.70

Dox

Hi Dox. I have tried many many drivers since I got my inspiron 1520, and this is the best driver I have ever used! I have sooo many problems with this computer as other 8600 nvidia users have, especially with this type of computer. The most recent problem was that game performance lagged severely as I played, and I would have to restart the computer to start playing again. Your driver is the first driver to fix this problem! I can't believe how well the computer runs, and how good the frame rate is. But, the only problem is I get the same crash that the previous post describes. The whole screen jumbles up and nothing works while just surfing the net. It seems that this happens for users with the same card in your previous driver versions as well. If you can fix this crash in later versions, I seriously suggest presenting them to Dell, as I've had to go through hell to find adequate drivers. :)

I suggest you try my test 180.84, works fine for all who tried it.

or use my 178.42 - very good release that was.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• Galdere

• Shakey_Jake33

• Areez Oke

Thanks Dox, will try the new 180.84 release. However, the 178.42 driver, although seemingly stable, caused noticeable slowdown everywhere. I'll see how it goes.

Working great, I swear I gained at least 10-20 FPS on CoD World at War, C&C Red Alert 3 seems to run a bit smoother too.

Still staying away from Anti Aliasing though :)

Anyways, this helped a lot thanks Dox :)

Thanks for Dox!!! But now question to him: why on your drivers my G9600M GT getting hot as hell??? I have 51-54 degres in idle and 86 in 3dmark06(all previous releases of your drivers, I'm testing 180.70 at the moment) with cooling pad Thermaltake T1000. Standard drivers i have 43-45 idle and max 72 after long playing

I hope DOX can unlock this driver for those with locked system BIOS's

Here is a message I just sent to DOX:

Hi Dox,

First, thanks for all your great work!

Are you aware of the overclocking lock that some systems have? OCing works with 169.04 but not with any other drivers. I have researched it extensively and found that it comes down to one file:

nvlddmkm.sys

Here is where I recently wrote about it:

Let's Unlock the Overclock

There are many people experiencing similar issues, do you know how we can fix our problem?

Best,

PS Many others have a similar problem:

\

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18589

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...596#post3670596

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22159

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22136

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22136

Thanks Dox! I've had so many stuttering issues with official 180.70, I tried powermizer disable in driver level as well as within regedit. I've tried to customize the settings and turning things off. I was worried I was having a power/hardware issue.

But thanks to your custom 180.70, games such as oblivion, left 4 dead, mass effect, the witcher, crysis, farcry 2, and fallout 3 have all improved considerably.

For example, my oblivion would stutter every few seconds, it is still there but it is so minute that it is marginally present.

All games are now running moderately in native resolution which is 1440x900.

I'd say considerable improvement, where I was annoyed playing some games before, I am now enjoying them. I figured you'd want some feedback to your drivers.

Unfortunately I have no benchmark or frames per second recorder to show any factual evidence. My eyes and descriptions are the only things I got.

Nvidia 8600m GS 256, Dual Core 2.5ghz, 3 gig ram, Win xp 32. Dell Vostro 1710.

no worries frank,

what you experience with my drivers is what i always try to achieve with them every release. :)

Hi! Just found this site. I'll be trying your drivers later. Any comments to the overclocking lock post by Goal_OC_Unlock? I've got the same problem and it's annoying really... Thanks for the work on these drivers!

yeah,

this driver is over optimised.

My test release 180.84 has nvmctray enabled, so you should use that :)

Only for xp and vista 32bit though.

Hi DoX,

Downloaded 180.84 for XP, attempted to install on an M1330 with an 8400M GS and the driver states its not made for the operating system when using the have disk method. I found this out after normal install seemed to go through but it never installed drivers.

i mst install this driver, but i tes point score at 3D Mark 06 i get 1114 this far with my driver from microsof update i get score 1198

please any help for me..............

sorry my laptop acer aspire 4530

GeForce 9100 G MY Grafic card

My OS Vista Ultimated SP1 64 BIT

sorry my speek engglish not good i'm from indonesia.

Edited by Abdullah Alhabsyi

Hi DoX,

Downloaded 180.84 for XP, attempted to install on an M1330 with an 8400M GS and the driver states its not made for the operating system when using the have disk method. I found this out after normal install seemed to go through but it never installed drivers.

XP 32-bit sry

zoot this thread is for the driver 180.70 :)

as noted my test release for 180.84 isn't "supported" i.e I dont answer questions for it since its for testing the new installer.

zoot this thread is for the driver 180.70 :)

as noted my test release for 180.84 isn't "supported" i.e I dont answer questions for it since its for testing the new installer.

Cool beans, I ended up getting 180.70.1 prior to seeing your reply anyhow...

The only reason why I left the feedback I did was because your last post was recommending your 180.84 release to people.

well all i can say is make sure that you downloaded the XP_180.84 not Vista_180.84.

I've had people with vista download and installed my XP driver even when they see the file has XP on it.

I've used 180.84 on my XP test machine and it works fine, I also had a look at the files and 8400M gs is in there ready to be installed.

My last update dates from juli 2008 LOL i bought my laptop a BTO a month ago with 8600M GT. but no support at all about drivers! I will try this one as soon as i get home. I expect a huge preformance boost to be honest. ive been playing with the crappy 160.xxx drivers for far to long now!

SO if im correct, then this driver wont whine about that my card is not supported? like the official drivers from nvidia do. Man i cant wait to try them out.

cant find version 180.70 on the nvidia site btw!

@DOX, maybe you should stop deleting files out of the driver files for making it smaller and just fix it so that everyone can install it. almost everyone is having problems with files missing you deleted. they are in the driver for a reason you know! i think almost no one cares about a driver of 100 mb as long as everything works instead of a driver with loads of error messages only 32 mb. And maybe if you dont delete all the files more games will work and dont crash too. (just my thought)

lol, If i include the nvmctray the file would be 0.xx mb bigger :)

Its the other files which has no effect for games etc that I delete.

Plus I dont fancy waiting 30 mins to upload a file.

I have slow net,

Hehehe well i shut up then lol! I really hope i can get it to work tonight! im dieing to get my hands on a custom driver update for my 8600M gt 512mb.

Are there any specs needed to work DOX? like a type of brand? Im just wondering where you got the drivers from. and why im not able to find them on the nvidia site. or are the mobile versions of the driver in the global desktop drivers too?

Im just afraid to get the message "no compatible hardware found for this driver" again. Oh man! im so looking forward to tonight. and test this driver for my notebook!

Just a thought: have you ever considered to contact nvidia in some kind and ask them if they were interested in your drivers for mobile versions? maybe you CAN get some money out of it that way :) or atleast a good internet connection :) J/K :P

Thanks for all the effort m8! now lets hope that it works for me too

CHEERS!

Edited Away

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

Dear Goal_OC_Unlock,

Who do you think I am? You think I am a "tech support guy who is a quick help go to type person that MUST help people because you think I sit in front of the computer all day"?

Theres a support section: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/3-support-discussion-english/ in out forums for things like this.

I do this for free, I am not obligated to help everyone.

Theres plenty of things out there with a little google searching can help.

Of course I know a work around for it.

But from your Post why should I help such a arrogant and sarcastic individual?

SO here's what I suggest:

A. You stick to older drivers that work

B. You ask your manufacturer for an unlocked bios

C. You ask your manufacturer for an official overclocking driver from them

D. You do more research on how to do low level driver overclocking.

Thank you!

But from your Post why should I help such a arrogant and sarcastic individual?

Dear Dox,

I just reread my post and I realize now how sarcastic it sounded. I'm sorry. Seriously, I did not mean to be insulting. I read somewhere here that you sometimes have to disable your PMs and so I figured that you already had 100s of other pointless requests pouring in all day. In an environment like that, I figured I'd better try to get your attention.

I understand if you don't want to help me after this. Sorry for the trouble. I'll go remove my old post now.

And by the way, I tried B and C repeatedly, but Sony just tells me to check back again at a later date (I even called a friend at the Sony research center in LA). No luck- And in terms of researching low level OCing - I've been reading everything I can get my hands on (I even started a book on hacking in the hopes that I can modify the vnlddmkm.sys file) but it's hard to find good resources. I'm patient (maybe not with people but always wrt learning! :) ) so I'm just going to keep at it.

Sorry again for my post.

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

hey no worries mate :)

You're back on my good books, takes some doing when you admit you are "wrong"

Sorry if I sounded harsh, just putting my point across :P

I've been busy with real life and been messing around with 180.84 :)

Heres a workaroun (dangerous)

Basically you can download

Nibitor

GPU - Z

nvflash

Use GPUZ to "dump" your video bios.

Use Nibitor to open that video bios file and you can change clock speeds there.

You can flash your new bios using nvflash

To get it to flash you need to make a bootable USB stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530

Follow the guide in the link.

Now your clocks will always be overclocked, regardless of driver.

Notes:

Different drivers has different overclocking tolerances

A bad flash can fail your gpu.

regards.

Does this driver get good performance from an 8400m gs, or do you know the best one to try, ive been looking for one for a while.

Thanks

Guest RS  aka OC

But we cannot take that approach because our GPU BIOS is integrated into the main BIOS for the system ala: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...596#post3670596

One approach is to dump the system bios and use Phoenix BIOS editor to modify the GPU BIOS. Unfortunately- many mfg 's such as LG and Sony won't give us our BIOS.

What is so interesting about 169.04- is that the nvlddmkm file somehow ignores that overclocking is disabled - and it works universally-

We are discussing the details of this problem on this thread:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22174

Best,

RS