LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN issues

mobilenvidia

Just got this card yesterday with great expectations to doing a review on this card.

But when I installed it, then installed the latest drivers, I discovered the drivers refuse to start (Code 10 and 39 errors) with Vista

Trying various drivers, forcing different chipsets to no avail.

I've also tried these in my Wifes Dell Latitude D820 and no luck there either and she's running WinXP

Now my Dell i9400 and my Wifes D820 both have the Intel 945M chipset and NVIDIA graphics.

It looks like there is some issue here with these cards.

This may also be the reason why the Atheros WLAN cards are not behaving in i945M based laptops

So if you own an Intel 945M based laptop and are looking at upgrading your WLAN.

DON"T get an Intel 5x00AGN card, they simply don't work (future drivers may fix this)

Avoid Atheros based cards, can give problems without my Parity error fix (Vista only)

Broadcom based cards work just fine, no Client Utility in Vista

But Ralink (as reviewed here[/url)] is the way to go, it got it all.

Realtek and Marvel cards not tested so can't comment (yet)

So testing WLAN cards has become rather hard with all my available machines :)

So tested machines are, Dell i9400/E1705, Dell D820 and Toshiba A100, all have NVIDIA graphic cards.

All feedback welcomed.

I am sure you have done this, but I am just curious. Did you actually get that card to work on another machine not using the 945M chipset? And if you did have you RMAed the card to see if it was just a dud?

Thanks!

Guest Kurinando

I have a compal HEL80 laptop.

The original wireless card was the intel 3945 ABG, i then switched to the Wifi 5100 without any issue.

The latter card was also tested in a dell presion 4300

In that same computer a intel Wifi 5300 got problems, the same "error 10"

I thinks that because the laptop has a 945/965 chipset, therefore it has pci-e for the wireless it should work well.

In the wifi 5300 more investigation should be done to find out what's happening.

Greeting from Portugal

Guest wondering
Just got this card yesterday with great expectations to doing a review on this card.

But when I installed it, then installed the latest drivers, I discovered the drivers refuse to start (Code 10 and 39 errors) with Vista

Trying various drivers, forcing different chipsets to no avail.

I've also tried these in my Wifes Dell Latitude D820 and no luck there either and she's running WinXP

Now my Dell i9400 and my Wifes D820 both have the Intel 945M chipset and NVIDIA graphics.

It looks like there is some issue here with these cards.

This may also be the reason why the Atheros WLAN cards are not behaving in i945M based laptops

So if you own an Intel 945M based laptop and are looking at upgrading your WLAN.

DON"T get an Intel 5x00AGN card, they simply don't work (future drivers may fix this)

Avoid Atheros based cards, can give problems without my Parity error fix (Vista only)

Broadcom based cards work just fine, no Client Utility in Vista

But Ralink (as reviewed here[/url)] is the way to go, it got it all.

Realtek and Marvel cards not tested so can't comment (yet)

So testing WLAN cards has become rather hard with all my available machines :)

So tested machines are, Dell i9400/E1705, Dell D820 and Toshiba A100, all have NVIDIA graphic cards.

All feedback welcomed.

On the Dell, do you have the 3rd antenna (grey) hooked up? or are you using the default 2 antenna's that comes on the 9400

I have had similar issues with the Dell E6400, i think it had a 5300 or a 5100, cant remember which as it was a clients.

Any how, the issue i found was linked to the ms .net version. From clean xp build, the dell drivers installed .net 2.0 and all was fine, we updated patched, installed office2007 and still all fine, until ... ... The CRM system they use is a little old and installed .net 1.1 sp1, which killed the network card dead.

Uninstallation of .net 1.1 worked fine, but not for the crm system. Dell not overly helpfull about this and in the end, we removed it from the dell and now have a USB wireless card in there until such time as a solution is found!

Hope this helps!

I have a e6500 (45 chip), with a 5300 card. Not experienced a single install problem or issue to date.

The issue seems to be with 945M chipsets.

I also read somewhere 965M chipsets had issue but there is a fix.

I'm sure the card will work in a newer chipset Notebook.

But in the meantime Intel can get some bad rap for not having these work in all Notebooks.

Wonder how many folk are caught out ?

any update on this?

i have a gateway mx6955 that uses that chipset and interested in upgrading it to this.

and does anyone have anyone have info on the 4965agn working on these chipsets too?

• 1 month later...
Guest ranger

got a brand new out of the box Alienware laptop M17 the monster of laptops, and the wi- fi 5300agn does NOT I repeat NOT, work. There is an issue with chip set compatibility and Intel knew this according to the research I have done. Their answer to why,( when they found out ), did they keep selling them was that most people wont ever use them. most people will still connect to the modem via a cable and if it does not work out on the road we can say it was a compatibility issue with the site the customer was trying to connect to. to this end the only people that knows there is a problem are the guys like you and me that buy the card and try to use it. those of you that say you have no problems are lucky you obliviously have a chip set that is compatible. The other thing that I find funny was that not everyone is telling Intel or the tech support of the company they bought the card from that they are experiencing this problem therefor there will be no fix in the near future. So people get off your butts and say something, you spent good money on something that they knew had problems and you YOU are left out to dry they got your money and now you will be stuck with a 3oz. paperweight unless you do something about it

any update on this?

i have a gateway mx6955 that uses that chipset and interested in upgrading it to this.

and does anyone have anyone have info on the 4965agn working on these chipsets too?

i have the PM965 in my XPS M1530, with the 4965 AGN, worked since day one. i know this isnt the exact problem being thorwn out there, just wanted to let you know...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Topbrief

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Latitude E4300 with the Intel 5300 Card in. The card has (in the last few days) died - the feature remains listed in Device Manager but is not working. Intel's diagnostic tool merely reports that it is disabled.

The hardware switch is not the issue - the same error reports with it in either position.

I've tried to disable and renable the device but the system crashes.

I have uploaded and installed the latest drivers from firstly Dell and then Intel (who were more up to date) to no avail.

I have removed and reinserted the card but this made no difference.

The BIOS has been updated to the latest (A05) version.

I have also done a Factory Restore but this hasn't remedied things either.

The Device Manager says I'm running the Mobile Intel® 45 Express Chipset Series.

Am I wasting time trying to fix this? Should I get DELL to supply a new (non-Intel) card?

Has anybody got any suggestions on how I could solve this.

Thanks

Topbrief,

Leeds, UK

It does seem to me like a hardware problem. If your system is still under warranty, you can get a new card from Dell. If your system is not under warranty, it would be cheaper to buy a card separately from a store like Amazon.com. However, despite your broken card, I would still recommend getting an Intel card. Other cards are well known for having troubles that the Intel cards do not have.

The issue seems to be with 945M chipsets.

I also read somewhere 965M chipsets had issue but there is a fix.

I'm sure the card will work in a newer chipset Notebook.

But in the meantime Intel can get some bad rap for not having these work in all Notebooks.

Wonder how many folk are caught out ?

Do you happen to know where you saw the fix for the 965M chipset. That's what I have and I can't seem to find a fix anywhere

• 5 months later...
Guest bulldog89801

I have a dell aps m1710 with the 945 chipset, Nvidia 7950 gtx and the intel wifi link 5300. I love it! I updated my intel chipset drives direct from the intel website and then removeb the 4965 agn drivers and card. Installed the 5300 card and newest drivers from intel and it worked first time out. Remember to custom install the intel wifi drivers and enable the intel my wifi program!