LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Compal FL90 - HD3650

Korso

Hi to all forum members!

I was thinking about replacing the 8600m GT that's bundled with my rig (Compal FL90), cause of the downclocking and thermal problems. So, it's possible to replace it with a hd3650? I've seen some post about it, but nothing concrete, and I don't want to waste my money :)

Any kind of bios modification would be neccessary?

Thanks a million for reading and for your patience :)

it is hard to say, but I have an acer laptop, and the card I got was an acer one, and appears to work with some XPS, MSI laptops, but nothing about compal or HP. if you are sure you have MXM, you can use the card most likely, but a bios change might be necessary, EVEN with mine, it works, but it gets too hot, the 3650 I got was with 675/750MHZ(core/mem) I had to downclock the memory to 700 and change the core voltage down a little, both done in the BIOS, now the card runs fine. Before the bios modification, the laptop shuts down after it gets too hot, and with the memory on factory clock speed, I get artifacts.

Thanks a lot Morris for your answer. I bought a 3650 and i'll let you know how it went when I install it.

Edited by Korso

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot Morris for your answer. I bought a 3650 and i'll let you know how it went when I install it.

Breakthrough!!!!!! Finally (after a long, long, time), I could replace my dying 8600m gt for the ati 3650 hd on a compal fl90. Did not need dremel or any modification. Just bought artic silver 5 thermal compound, and artic silver purifier to clean the old thermal paste. Undervolted the CPU and the GPU, and now my temps are incredible!!! CPU Idles at 51 and GPU idles at 54.... OMG, i can't believe this Thanks all for the tips, they where incredible helpful