LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Far Cry 2 Framerate issue! PLEASE HELP!

rocksolid77

Hey all,

This is my first post and since it's negative I'm not so happy about it! I just got Far Cry 2 and I'm loving it. I installed it and it played just fine but not well, then I updated to the special "Far Cry 2" drivers and those only helped a bit but I was still satisfied with the performance I was getting. Now I have the problem that I'm experiencing some serious amount of lag, even in DX9 and on low settings! I just don't get it! Currently I'm using the 179.14 mobile drivers which are not PhysX enabled. Could it be that if I have a driver installed which sin't PhysX that then the GPU itself has to do all the physics calculating?? Please help me with this problem and any suggestions about drivers would be appreciated! (I already installed Vista again!)

Specs:

ASUS G71v Gaming Notebook:

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53GHz @ 2.77GHz (overclocked with the ASUS DirectConsole)

nVidia GeForce 9700M GT 512MB GDDR3 (stock clocks)

500GB Harddrives

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Service Pack 1

17.1" WUXGA widescreen display (1920x1200)

Blu-Ray ODD

Please help!!! :)

Do the newer 180 series drivers help?

Do the newer 180 series drivers help?

well at the moment I'm trying out the 180.44 drivers but with each driver it's the same. Sometimes the frame rates go up to 50 or 55 but it lags the whole time..

ok, fixed the problem. Here's what I did (in case anybody else is having the same issue..):

I completely deleted everything nvidia related. Drivers, registy etc. and then I did a clean install of one of the new drivers (I guess it's 180.70). Now Far Cry 2 seems to work very well again and there's even a slight improvement! So to anybody who's experiencing the same problem, do the above. I also noticed that when the driver supports PhysX, the CPU load is much less so the GPU (Physics Chip) is doing the calculating which is very good if you have a solid CPU which can then process other stuff and make your game look beautiful :)

Anyways, I'm going back to Africa now!!

problems are normily caused by something as simple and stupid as that lol

Edited by GaryHook

I also noticed that when the driver supports PhysX, the CPU load is much less so the GPU (Physics Chip) is doing the calculating
Did you use the 1.80.70 or the 1.80.70 from Dox ?

And what's up with the temperature of your GPU ? Like before with the 179.14 or hotter ?

Thx.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Well im glad you fixed the problem. FC2 plays extreamly well. And looks great. Im still using the 178.13 Drivers because they seem to be doing fine and im afraid to switch to make performance worse or ahve to clean my drivers (such a hassle) mainly cuz im very busy lol. But yea, FC2 im running all high, shadows medium, with textures and some other stuff on ultra. Great fps 35+, 1440x900.