LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell's XPS one

Guest Fred

I?ve just got a ATI AMD HD 2400 XT 256MB M74 M MXM II Video VGA Card and I installed it in my Dell XPS One when I boot it up I have no picture does mean this card is not compatible. If so, which video cards can I use?

Thank You

I’ve just got a ATI AMD HD 2400 XT 256MB M74 M MXM II Video VGA Card and I installed it in my Dell XPS One when I boot it up I have no picture does mean this card is not compatible. If so, which video cards can I use?

Thank You

People with Dell laptop. Do not even bother to write any posts in here. Dell video cards are not MXM. You need to look for another forum.

i had an XPS 1530 and that was not MXM. I also dont think the XPS 17" are mxm either. They use a different card format. Is this what you mean?

• 1 month later...
People with Dell laptop. Do not even bother to write any posts in here. Dell video cards are not MXM. You need to look for another forum.

The XPS One does use a standard MXM video card.

Are you sure? Dell uses different modules in *most* of their laptops, hence making this a probable exception. If so, then any mxm 2 theoretically should work.

Are you sure? Dell uses different modules in *most* of their laptops, hence making this a probable exception. If so, then any mxm 2 theoretically should work.

Yep! affirmative! Dell XPS one do use MXM type graphics. Check out this picture.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst.../sm/chipset.htm

Here is the picture of graphics card with removal instructions.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...sm/td_video.htm

Yes, but is the electrical connection MXM or proprietary, that's the point.

Hmm the XPS One is not a laptop... It's a all-in-one like the iMac and if it's anything like the iMac which also has a MXM slot you might have troubles with the bios...

Hmm the XPS One is not a laptop... It's a all-in-one like the iMac and if it's anything like the iMac which also has a MXM slot you might have troubles with the bios...

• 5 weeks later...

Do you get any video at all (ie BIOS boot screen)? I installed a nVideo 8600M GT MXM II in my Dell XPS One and it worked w/o any problems. I can't tell for certain, but from the pics I've seen of the ATI card compared to the nVidia I installed, there appears to be a missing pin or a gap in the middle of the large side of the MXM connector on the ATI one; the nVidia one does not have this gap. If that is the case, then maybe it has something to do with that.

Guest Guest

Hi guest,

May I ask you which version of XPS One you have? The 20" or the new 24"? Also the 8600M GT that works in your system, is it blue or green in color? I looked up on Ebay and there seems to be 2 types of 8600M GT, one with the blue color (with a gap in the middle of the larger band) and one with green color (without a gap)?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Dell XPS One 20", too. Please clarify, thank you.

I just bought a Nvidia 8600M GT and put it in my Dell. It fit physically but I also got a black screen. I can hear the computer boot in to Windows but cannot see anything. I don't know how Guest_Ryan can get it to work, any hint?

Guest ElsagBailey

I am no expert, but I would suggest trying to boot into the "SAFE" mode and see if you get a screen. If you do, then its one of loading the video drivers for your new video card. A reboot should give you a normal screen. I also have a DellXPS One but have not upgraded the video as of yet. I hope to hear good things...

I put the card in and could not see anything, even the BIOS screen, black screen all over. So I guess you cannot boot into SAFE mode. My best guess is the motherboard is BIOS blocked and only recognize Dell cards with appropriate vBios. I ended up returning the card though. Still waiting for someone to come up with a solution since there's at least one guy successfully installed it. Thus, there must be a way.

Guest morris

yeah well on ebay someone was selling a 7900 gs that stated it worked with dell computers..but unfortunately someone beat me to buy it now for 150.00 now im just waiting for anyone with anything...i really want to upgrade the card to get some games going here..

Guest Elsag Bailey

Guest hoak,

Sorry that it did not work. Some how I feel Dell would not do anything to ATI's Video Card, Dell really does not like maintaining someone else's design. But its only an opinion.

I'll bite the bullet and get the ATI 3450, its a step up from the 2400, but should work. It will be a week or so, but I'll let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck

Elsag Bailey,

I hope to hear good news from you. I really love my XPS One, just hate the fact that it cannot play any game. Since the original poster said that ATI HD 2400 from other manufacture did not work for him, I tried Nvidia and failed. However, I notice that my non-working Nvidia card does have a missing gap in the middle of the greater band (like Guest_Ryan mentioned). If your card does not have , and it works, I guess we will know what the problem is.

Guest morris

after couple days trying to get Dell to sell me the ATI 2400 Video Card for XPS About few minutes ago i finally got one of the persons to sell it to me..Came out to $66 for the upgrade Standard Delivery (didn't feel like 16 for 1 Business Day was worth it)

Part #

DP831:- Graphic Card (ATI) & Heatsink Assembly, XPS A2010

Hopefully this helps out a few people looking to upgrade the card..

Cant Wait Until Mine shows up 3-4 Days..Will keep You Updated. :)

Guest morris

i want to get the 9600m but are the specs and size for it to go int the 2010? ive tried so hard for the dell rep to get me to this part (took over 1hr talking) but no luck unless someone else has a shot at it with their 2024 maybe they can talk to someone telling them they needed it replaced? so we can have the part #? and the reason i got the 2400 because first it was cheap 52.99 i believe +tax+ship and so yeah..im not going to do any crazy gaming..(id just build my own computer for hardcore gaming) let me know if someone has a 2024 so we can have the part # for the 9600m thanks!

Guest ElsagBailey

Guest_Hoak,

Just a quick update; no success in finding a bargin ATI 3450; so as with Guest_Morris, I went to Dell and ordered the DP831 (Graphic Card (ATI Upsell) & Heatsink Assembly, XPS A2010); its refurbished, but guaranteed to work. Its shipping 4/1. I'll let you know what happens.

FYI, in two seperate conversations with Dell, they did not recommend any Video Card as an upgrade to the XPS ONE RED (2010). They explained that the Option Upgrade was only valid at the time of the intial purchase. No reason was given as to why the shipped system could not be upgraded.

As with Guest_Morris, it takes a little work to get the DP831 Video Card (Kudos to Morris for finding this PN) from Dell; Total charge was a little more than $60. I also learned of PN JG367 (256MB Graphics Card, M58, XPS M2010) but nothing on who is the Mfg. Price, around $370... Wow!

Watch for an update, I hope Guest_Morris does his first..

Guest ElsagBailey

Guest_Hoak,

Just received the Video Card from Dell; had the new card installed in about an hour; re-booted the system; came up in VGA mode. Device Manager detected the new card and asked for the Drivers; Downloaded and installed the Video drivers from the Dell site; rebooted and everything is running well.

As for the information you requested, the large pin out area has NO gaps.

The only left for me to do is find some 64 Bit video drivers that are compatible with the ATI Radeon HD2400;

I wish you sucess in whatever your final direction takes you...