LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell's XPS one

Guest Fred

Guest Pitchblak

So you must have the 24in one then Hoak? if you have 64bit software?

I've been looking at the ATI Radeon HD 3650 and the Nvidia 9600M GT (Green PCB) and both of them seem to NOT have the gap on the large pin out areas, which makes you think they might work. Drivers being the only question, and dell has drivers for the 9600 and maybe the normal drivers from the ATI/nVidia websites might work?

Hi, I have the 20" version and do not use 64 bit software. I tried ATI HD3650 (without a gap at the interface) -> still not working. I think Dell has a proprietary MXM slot in the XPS One such that only Dell cards will work. Oh well, I think I'm stuck with the integrated graphic or trying to sell it to get some games going.

Guest Guest

To Guest_Hoak,

For whatever its worth; I did UPGRADE the Vista Ultimate to 64 Bit; and I DIDNOT use the Dell Video drivers, mainly because they were built for the 32bit XPS One. I used ATI's 64 Bit drivers, I did not load the Catalyst software, mainly because I did not need it.

So far so good... ; give me holler if you have any questions...

ElsagBailey

• 1 month later...
Guest Taylor (Guest)

any news on this? I have an XPS one A2010 (20") and installed the 9600m to a black screen... though windows boots. Any workaround? DO i need a new BIOS version or something?

• 8 years later...
On 29. 3. 2009 at 8:38 AM, Guest hoak said:

Hi, I have the 20" version and do not use 64 bit software. I tried ATI HD3650 (without a gap at the interface) -> still not working. I think Dell has a proprietary MXM slot in the XPS One such that only Dell cards will work. Oh well, I think I'm stuck with the integrated graphic or trying to sell it to get some games going.

Not really, DELL modified the vbios of the ATI card to work with the XPS, the slot is a standard one. However the system BIOS is missing any mxm structure, this is inside the vbios and because of this is the card working and any other not. To make it work you have it add the mxm structure inside the bios, modify the DSDT table and Intel QST to ale everything work :) iam running an xeon E5450 ( you need to add the microcode and use the only stepping of the CPU), windows 10 and a nvidia 9600m gt 512MB DDR3 there :)

T

• 6 years later...

Fascinating old thread about the XPS One 20,

but for now, I'd be happy just to get this old classic system to recognise the basic default MXM card that originally came with it.

It may well be a DELL card, the model is : MXM 7308-MG and I cannot find a driver anywhere online. DELL support don't have it (so they say), it's not detected in the device manager, it's not detected by these driver downloader softwares (at least one ones I've tried)...

Does anyone have any idea where to get the driver for this ?  (BTW there one site that comes up on a web search that states "here's the driver for the MXM 7308-MG" and it leads to a link for an exe file.

It's a disappointment and just installs another driver downloader software which doesn't detect this card after getting hopes up) !

IMG_20240111_11583920.jpg.b82ea1ed71d9bcb42c2b1cb34e8c297d.jpg

Thanks!

IMG_20240111_115900 20.jpg

Edited by Jean-The-Aware
missing words

Hey StefanG3D, 

Well. the bios - I tried to update it but it wouldn't work. Then,  in doing my research, many are saying there are problems with the 06 (latest) bios and advise against it so I just left it.

There are no signs in the device manager, just showing intel video.

It's running win 7 x64.

I've seen in the past on other PCs, occasionally nothing shows at all in device manager then when you install the gfx driver It comes to life and shows up.

There must be a driver for this somewhere on Planet Earth, surely 🙂