LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Drivers crashing Vista's Sleep Mode

YG007

OK. I've been reading up on a lot of forums about the issue people have with nvidia cards in their laptops and vista, pertaining to waking up from sleep mode to a frozen computer/black screen.

I have this issue, so for the past few months I've been trying to find the source of the problem. I've tried updating every driver possible (Synaptics touchpad, Realtek HD sound, Intel Gigabit LAN, Intel 4965 wireless, Intel Turbo memory, Intel INF AuthenTec fingerprint sensor, video driver [180.70], bluetooth) and had no luck. During this time I also had the dredded 8600m GT slowdown issues in games. While playing around, I noticed when disabling powermizer in the nvidia driver (3333 to 3322) that my laptop (LG R500/Vista64/4GB RAM) would wake up from sleep properly when plugged in. EVERY TIME! I just want to iterate that 3322 disables powermizer when on AC power. Then I tried to put the laptop to sleep in battery mode, and suprise suprise.... it froze when trying to wake it up.

So, I tried my theory out... I went into the registry and changed the powermizer setting from 3322 to 2222. Now ALL of powermizer is disabled (battery and AC). I try sleeping and waking up. Both AC and battery sleep and wake up properly at all times now!!! BUT... now theres no power saving for the video card.

Now that I've proved that its nvidia and not a BIOS issue (LG said they dont have a new bios for the R500, and they said theres no plans to make one in the future) SO I have to rely on Nvidia to fix their powermizer functionality so it can properly wake up from sleep.

Anyone have any ideas on this topic?? Does anyone else here have laptop issues with sleep mode?? If anyone else has a different solution, I'd be willing to try it out!!

use the original inf and add your device id and the card name then install, (make sure you use driver sweeper to clean out old ones) then everything should work

OK. I've been reading up on a lot of forums about the issue people have with nvidia cards in their laptops and vista, pertaining to waking up from sleep mode to a frozen computer/black screen.

I have this issue, so for the past few months I've been trying to find the source of the problem. I've tried updating every driver possible (Synaptics touchpad, Realtek HD sound, Intel Gigabit LAN, Intel 4965 wireless, Intel Turbo memory, Intel INF AuthenTec fingerprint sensor, video driver [180.70], bluetooth) and had no luck. During this time I also had the dredded 8600m GT slowdown issues in games. While playing around, I noticed when disabling powermizer in the nvidia driver (3333 to 3322) that my laptop (LG R500/Vista64/4GB RAM) would wake up from sleep properly when plugged in. EVERY TIME! I just want to iterate that 3322 disables powermizer when on AC power. Then I tried to put the laptop to sleep in battery mode, and suprise suprise.... it froze when trying to wake it up.

So, I tried my theory out... I went into the registry and changed the powermizer setting from 3322 to 2222. Now ALL of powermizer is disabled (battery and AC). I try sleeping and waking up. Both AC and battery sleep and wake up properly at all times now!!! BUT... now theres no power saving for the video card.

Now that I've proved that its nvidia and not a BIOS issue (LG said they dont have a new bios for the R500, and they said theres no plans to make one in the future) SO I have to rely on Nvidia to fix their powermizer functionality so it can properly wake up from sleep.

Anyone have any ideas on this topic?? Does anyone else here have laptop issues with sleep mode?? If anyone else has a different solution, I'd be willing to try it out!!

Yea i have this problem to so i hope some one will come with a solution soon:D

Its seems all 180.xx drivers have this problem. Although maybe not everybody is affected there is still quite a few number of people who are.

Just to let you know using the original inf and adding the device ID doesn't solve it. I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 btw.

What have nvidia changed with these 180.xx drivers from previous ones with powermizer that it causes the laptop to no longer wake from sleep?

I hope Nvidia or somebody fix this soon, its been 2 months already since the first 180.xx drivers were released.

Yeah, just to update, using the original INF (180.70) from LG Korea, and it still crashes. For now I completely disabled sleep, but I don't want that to be the permanent fix. Also, about the changing res issue, I found that any game that you run that is a lower res... even when you quit and it returns to your normal desktop res, it will change your desktop's res to the game's res on next reboot, or when your screen saver turns on. So, hopefully they fix that eventually also!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK!!! This is DEFINITELY a nvidia problem. I've just installed Windows 7 beta and it still crashes with any 180.xx or above driver when waking up from sleep mode. Nvidia better get their act together and fix this!

No, it wasn't ever fixed, sadly...

...for that matter, can someone please point to the file and line for the OP's hotfix? It'd be appreciated, since messing with the files and registry isn't something I'm totally comfortable with at this point... many thanks.

EDIT: For anyone else who's wondering, this guide explains it perfectly.

Edited by Stryker Zero

I, too, downloaded the 185.20 drivers and noticed stuttering within my games... at first.

The past two days, my laptop stopped waking up from sleep (black screen as described above). And as of last night, my display would start artifacting while either playing games or using AutoCAD 2009. My card wasn't overheating however, as GPU-Z portrayed my video temperature at less than 70 degrees Celsius.

Since sleep would freeze my computer, I would be forced to shut it down. Upon starting it back up, my computer would be defaulted at its lowest resolution: 800x600, and I would have to manually adjust the resolution back up to 1440x900.

Well after I got a BSOD a couple of hours ago while in-game, I decided to look on here for a fix. I discovered this topic and decided to install a 179.xx driver, since someone mentioned that all 18x.xx drivers were having this problem. I ended up downloading the latest 179.xx driver, 179.32 (for Vista 32-Bit) and after the past two hours of gaming, I have had zero stutters, zero artifacting, and just to see, I've put my computer to sleep twice and successfully woken it up.

So if you don't feel like risking anything by manually modifying your registry, a fix (only tested on Vista 32-Bit) that I have had success with is downloading the 179.32 Vista driver and modified .inf file along with it and using that one.

Edited by Maian

It is not the solution installing 179xx drivers. The latest are no so effective and FPS is low in the games. But 18xx drivers are more fast, the videoadapter is not so hot as it was on 179. So, the conclusion is - try to get the advanced solution of the problem. Does NVidia aware of its fault? Can it be away of the problem?

:) Yes, it's the same.

nvsvc.exe for XP and nvvsvc.exe for Vista.

It's the nvidia driver helper. Need only for apply your settings on desktop at startup.

If you don't use it, you can disable the service.

Performace and control panel are not subject to this service. :)

Ok I did my test. I installed Dox's latest 181.22, and disabled the Nvidia Driver Helper service (nvvsvc.exe). After that I tested sleep mode and hibernate -> it works (it wasn't working with the service enabled). So, the problem lies there. Google tells me this about the service: "This service is used by some of the specific advanced features of your NVidia graphics card, in particular overclocking, overriding of the refresh rate for OpenGL games, and dual monitor display. It is also needed if you have configured your PC or laptop to go into Sleep Mode or Hibernation." Also, some pages recommend disabling the service.

Anyway, I think it would be a good thing trying to implement nvvsvc service from previous driver into the any 18x.xx driver, just to replace assigned .exe and .dll , and see if it "fits".

yeah, thats another way of doing it,

you could try it with my driver and see if it works

I wanted to do it, but I can't find the way to locate the nvvsvc.exe and nvsvc.dll from the 179.28, or 178.24, cus I'm probably bit of a noob. Dox, in yours driver folder those are just there, and in other drivers those are probably archived or sth. Advice?? :)

Sure thing, I had the original. But, I'll have to postpone the test, cuz handball here in Croatia, semifinals against Poland. Can't miss that!