LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Atheros AR928X XP and VISTA driver differents

Guest RadApl

Hi,

I just bought Fijitsu u2010 UMPC with Atheros x928 adapter. On installed Vista this adapter work without any issues. But now I install Windows XP and this adapter make me crasy:-(. Signal worth and transfer rate down up to 3 times. I install XP drivers 7.6.1.149 from Fujitsu web site and 7.6.1.160 from this site, but no difference, ugly connection. Even if I close notebook to 1 m from AP - signal is "Good", on my workplace is "Very Low" or sometimes to "No Signal". With Vista "Excelent" near AP, on workplace "Very Good" and transfer rate 25-30% from 54M.

Anybody can advice me to fix this strange issue?

I think the atheros XP drivers are not so well these days, i would suggest you look into the powersaving feature and make it maximum performence rather then power saving. you can also try the driver from microsoft's windows updates, since they are WHQL for sure.

Morris Lee

I think the atheros XP drivers are not so well these days, i would suggest you look into the powersaving feature and make it maximum performence rather then power saving. you can also try the driver from microsoft's windows updates, since they are WHQL for sure.

Morris Lee

Hi Morris,

I already tried power save settings, not help:-(

When I install windows xp - it was recognized as Unknown Network Adapter, so I suggest there is no avalable driver from Microsoft.

The 928x chipset is only supported in 7.6.1.xxx drivers.

Just uploaded 7.6.1.170 give these a go.

Am also working on modded XP driver, in Vista they give better range.

The 928x chipset is only supported in 7.6.1.xxx drivers.

Just uploaded 7.6.1.170 give these a go.

Am also working on modded XP driver, in Vista they give better range.

I try new version 7.6.1.170 - the same issue:-(

Now I'm using driver from Vista which was shipped with UMPC (version 7.6.0.108!) which give me good speed but range still not good (BTW may be it just windows indicator because connection show "Very Low" or "No Signal" but it work without reconnecting on the speed approx 30-35% in 54M)

I will first who will try your modded XP driver! Thank you for your job!

Who can help me how to uninstall all Atheros drivers from a system? Because I try all version which was backup by Windows and I need to clear it and try again from begining.

I try new version 7.6.1.170 - the same issue:-(

Now I'm using driver from Vista which was shipped with UMPC (version 7.6.0.108!) which give me good speed but range still not good (BTW may be it just windows indicator because connection show "Very Low" or "No Signal" but it work without reconnecting on the speed approx 30-35% in 54M)

I will first who will try your modded XP driver! Thank you for your job!

Who can help me how to uninstall all Atheros drivers from a system? Because I try all version which was backup by Windows and I need to clear it and try again from begining.

Sorry, for mistake. Of course Vista driver can't be installed on XP. But software (which is mentioned as Vista driver) install driver 7.6.1.200, I think take from system backup.

I try your modded driver, it work much better, speed is good, but still indicator show me "Very Low" signal. Is it possible to fix it? I try different Wireless Mode and AntenaSwitch, but nothing changed.

Sorry, for mistake. Of course Vista driver can't be installed on XP. But software (which is mentioned as Vista driver) install driver 7.6.1.200, I think take from system backup.

I try your modded driver, it work much better, speed is good, but still indicator show me "Very Low" signal. Is it possible to fix it? I try different Wireless Mode and AntenaSwitch, but nothing changed.

You might have antenna issues, not being connected properly.

The WLAN card does work with no antenna's but range will be affected big time.

Check the little tiny connections on the WLAN card they should be in firm.

Also there should be 2 or 3 antenna wire depending on model of WLAN card.

This is builtin adapter (Fijitsu u2010/u820), I don't want to open it. I think this is driver issue because:

1. On Vista (shipped driver) - no any issues, work very well

2. I have in office two same UMPC and symptoms are exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I have same problems with Windows xp on a Toshiba A300-1GC and i have olso atheros wireless card but exately as Guest_RadApl_* i try to go online connecting my Netgear dg834g and i have allways weak signal,vewry low,no signal ext ext.

Were i can get drivers modded so that i can try them and i can see if i can sort out my troubles?

Thank's

Helen

If the shipped driver works then later ones should too.

The Driver INFs are bascially the same with each new release.

Try the modded driver it has some performance/range tweaks

If the shipped driver works then later ones should too.

The Driver INFs are bascially the same with each new release.

Try the modded driver it has some performance/range tweaks

Were i can get them?I think i fount them but i olso think they are for Vista and i have Xp.

Thank's

Helen

:)

There should be a CD with your machine or failing that, Toshiba have drivers on their website for specific models that I aasume should work :)

There should be a CD with your machine or failing that, Toshiba have drivers on their website for specific models that I aasume should work :)

I was woundering about the modded drivers "Try the modded driver it has some performance/range tweaks" maybe that will sort out the probles i have.

Best regards

Helen

You won't know till you try them.

Yes I agree with u but my request was another...can un give me the link were i can download this drivers modded for my notebook with Windows Xp so that i will be able to try them?

I cn finde them,i think the one that are on the bigining of this post are for Vista not for Xp.

Thank's!

Helen

Yes I agree with u but my request was another...can un give me the link were i can download this drivers modded for my notebook with Windows Xp so that i will be able to try them?

I cn finde them,i think the one that are on the bigining of this post are for Vista not for Xp.

Thank's!

Helen

Helen, are you having a 'Boy' look ? :)

The very first post (pinned) in this section Atheros modded Driver with NMI:Parity error fix, for Vista and WinXP is where you seek salvation.

Helen, are you having a 'Boy' look ? :)

The very first post (pinned) in this section Atheros modded Driver with NMI:Parity error fix, for Vista and WinXP is where you seek salvation.

So they will be v7.6.1.170 with modded INF v1.21 for both WinXP x86 and x64Should work for ALL Atheros Chipset versions,unfoirtunately i have allready tryied them without any success. :P

Is hard to write ot but my Netgear dg834g dosent work then so well as people says so...maybe one day if i will win some money :P i will buy another roter with most power range.

All the best

Helen