LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Random Blackout-Monitor Standby

titan818

Hey all,

I'm having a problem where during higher 3D performance, the monitor will go black>into standby, and the system will freeze. It stays on, but I can provide no input. I have to hard restart to get things back going. I've gone from the 180.70 to 180.43 to 176.92 and theyre all doing it. I'm not sure if its a temp problem- RivaTuner is monitoring things, and at idle im running at about 85, while at performance im somewhere like 105, but not entirely sure because the system keeps crashing! Speaking of which, i cannot find any way to control fan speed, ATITool, EVGA Precision, the NVidia panel, and RivaTuner all have it blocked out or not there. Is this just not possible for my model? Thanks for any input, Titan

Toshiba X205-Sli3

8600M GT 256Mb (Sli)

Vista x86

Currently running 176.92

Well, you share an unfortunate problem that many others have, the infamous 8600m overheating issue, that's your problem. At 105C, your pc is doing all of these weird things to protect itself basically. The only solution is to ring up your manufacturer and have them replace the mobo. I know it sux, but it is something you have to do in order to remedy the situation. Good luck!

Well, you share an unfortunate problem that many others have, the infamous 8600m overheating issue, that's your problem. At 105C, your pc is doing all of these weird things to protect itself basically. The only solution is to ring up your manufacturer and have them replace the mobo. I know it sux, but it is something you have to do in order to remedy the situation. Good luck!

Is there a newer version of the mobo? Is it simply replacing it? or would this be a more efficient model?

I'm not sure, but what i expect they do is just replace it (same motherboard type) and test it to see if it overheats. If not, then they give it back to you. As i said not too sure of the procedure, just speculation.

Overheating makes sense to me, but are we sure its the problem? I was reading around other threads/forums and people are getting the standby problem even when their machine is way cool.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t56375.html

What are the temperature operating limits for this card?

What are the temperature operating limits for this card?

120-130 degrees, but your 105 is already way too high. It shouldn't go over 90 degrees. This is what most likely causes your hang ups, but even if it's not, you should fix it asap. You could clean your cooling system out of dust or buy a cooling pad.

120-130 degrees, but your 105 is already way too high. It shouldn't go over 90 degrees. This is what most likely causes your hang ups, but even if it's not, you should fix it asap. You could clean your cooling system out of dust or buy a cooling pad.

Good call. In fact, the past 4 hours were me dis/reassembling the entire laptop to get to the fans. What I found was basically a dryer-lint style sheet covering my GPU fan exhaust duct. (as well as CPU). I've got everything back in action now, temps are running around 65. I do have another question though. My cards are reading a 10 degree difference from each other, and its pretty much holding that difference as they both warm up. They used to run around the same temp- is one just coincidentally getting cooled more than the other? or could this be an error?

I don't think that should be much of a problem, what are the highest temps both cards go up to?

I don't think that should be much of a problem, what are the highest temps both cards go up to?

HL2 engine is putting them at 92 and 73.

Not so bad, i guess. A little high for one card, but nothing to be too alarmed at. Your second card is very cool though.

My cards are reading a 10 degree difference from each other, and its pretty much holding that difference as they both warm up. They used to run around the same temp- is one just coincidentally getting cooled more than the other? or could this be an error?

Just a slight difference in airflow and/or contact to cooling device is needed to make the difference. Most important is the max temperature, where they should be about equal.

Good call. In fact, the past 4 hours were me dis/reassembling the entire laptop to get to the fans. What I found was basically a dryer-lint style sheet covering my GPU fan exhaust duct. (as well as CPU). I've got everything back in action now, temps are running around 65. I do have another question though. My cards are reading a 10 degree difference from each other, and its pretty much holding that difference as they both warm up. They used to run around the same temp- is one just coincidentally getting cooled more than the other? or could this be an error?

So now I've got everything nice and cleaned out, and I'm sure these cards are staying cool. But this problem keeps happening. COD5 is doing this as well. What else could this be?

(Running 179.14 till some of the 180 madness blows over)