LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Updating Drivers problem

Guest Addicted

Guest Addicted

Hey,

I have a 8600M GT, and i was using the 179.13_vista drivers which were very stable. I installed GTA:IV and as im sure you are aware i had major lag issues (not so much fps but poor graphics) so i thought updating the drivers would be a good idea. I updated to the latest ones 180.84 and although GTA:IV looks the same, game such as CS:S perform much much worse (nearly 100fps decrease). Now i've tried using the Nvidia File Remover after uninstalling drivers which successfully removed all the drivers in safe mode. After this i then reinstalled some older drivers (180.70) and i am still faced with the same lag. Somewhere or somehow those 180.84 hate my laptop and have made gaming pretty much unplayable. I was wondering if anyone had any advice of what i can do before i am faced with formatting to get back the performance? I've also tried using RivaTuner to reset all the settings to default but this has had no luck :)

Thanks,

Addicted

i registered up now so i can track the thread :)

Try going back to 179.13, does that improve performance again? The utility driver sweeper completely uninstalls all driver entries. A faq on how to use it is available from: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

i tried uninstalling, then using Nasty File Remover to remove the drivers in safemode, then i even reinstalled back to 179.13 and im still losing the performance :)

However im going to try again in a few minutes, so ill report back if anything is different!

uninstalled the driver and removed all the nvidia files, and now i've reinstalled the dell stock driver (as i did this first before) and now i've just installed that 179.13 driver so i will see if it's made a difference!

EDIT: still same problem :)

Edited by Addicted

Do a system restore to your 179.13 setup until you can judge what the problem is. Are sure you haven't just got vsync on? Make sure the new drivers are actually installing properly and you haven't removed any chipset drivers.

i have system restore disabled because it didn't work when i needed it last time, i have a backup of the whole drive using Acronis but i don't really want to revert back to it as it's a failsafe option and only has drivers installed! Vsync is set to off :) and i don't believe there any part of the chipset is nvidia, apart from the graphics card! :*(