LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem Updating Driver: "Windows Encountered A Problem..."

Santiago.AM1

Hello; First of all I would like to excuse myself in advance if this isn't the right place to post this topic or if it's an extremley common problem. However I promise I've looked around and found nothing similar.

I've installed GTA IV and i've been reccomended that I update my driver to the latest 180.84. I used the Driver & Inf file from here and followed these instructions.

However when the computer starts installing the drivers it gives me this message:

"Windows Encountered A Problem Installing The Driver Software For Your Device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while trying to install it

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

The system cannot find the file specified."

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with a GeForce 8600M GT card, Using Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Santiago.

You must download the driver, then download the modded INF file provided by the site (the link right next to the driver download). After you download both components, extract the driver, then drag the INF file into the folder in which you extracted the driver.

Then run it, that should fix it.

You must download the driver, then download the modded INF file provided by the site (the link right next to the driver download). After you download both components, extract the driver, then drag the INF file into the folder in which you extracted the driver.

Then run it, that should fix it.

Then run what? The manual method or just double click the setup file?

Guest Timmeeey

hey!

i've got the exact same problem. i tried to install it with the have-disk-method (which resulted in the in the first post stated error message) as well as the setup file ("The system has not been modified.").

try this

ok guys... If you are still having trouble installing the driver, download driver from here: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_gtaiv_downloads.html

use the modified inf providied here: modified INF

note this inf is for vista 32bit

I tried Wook's method and I think it works. Only drawback is I cant seem to be able to access the nVidia control panel by right clicking on the desktop?

So I'm not really sure how to check if I have the new drivers or not :)

However they did seem to install well and the process did seem to go much further than on previous ocasions.

Wook, mind explaining to us why this time it worked?

I tried Wook's method and I think it works. Only drawback is I cant seem to be able to access the nVidia control panel by right clicking on the desktop?

So I'm not really sure how to check if I have the new drivers or not :)

However they did seem to install well and the process did seem to go much further than on previous ocasions.

Wook, mind explaining to us why this time it worked?

You can check which driver you are running by using an app called GPU-z

Yeah the control panel is not available by right clicking. But is available in the windows control panel. hope this is ok guys.

The modified inf file i have providied is slightly different that the one originally posted. Not a lot has been changed, but i've included a tweak to add support for blueray and HD dvd's (as whenever a driver is modified it seems to stop this from working)

The inf provided here is made to work with the original 'engligh" version of 180.84.

The 'international' 180.84 and Pieters inf file did not work for me, as there were some missing paths inculded in the driver.

Glad to help guys

EDIT: to add the nvidia shortcut when right clicking.

Go to windows control panel, then nvidia control panel.

Click: view/ advanced

Click: view: Tick the box: "add desktop concept menu"

done..

Done!

Thank you very, very, very much wook! I've tested it and GTA IV does in fact run smoother. However it still wont let me boost up the gfx quality just a little, it says the memory usage exceeds my video memory (it only displays the dedicated memory). Although I guess that's a question to be asked somwhere else...

Thanks again!

unfortunately dedicated ram is all that counts. turbo cache and everything else they call it can help with operating systems, but for games using ram and using it for Vram would give decreased performance.