LaptopVideo2Go Forums

amilo pi 1536/1556 alienware bios for memory upgrade and video card

Guest mat

I just bought one card ATI HD3650 512 MB. I have a problem. When I turn on my computer, 2 or 3 secons later it turn off. It doesn't start. If I put the old card, the computer start without problems.

I put a new bios (2.07), becouse I want 4 gb of RAM, but does not work anyway.

Which is the problem that I have? Is the new card broken?

Sorry for my english

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aczelkri

• eugene2878

• mtmarco

• Alberto_AF

I just bought one card ATI HD3650 512 MB. I have a problem. When I turn on my computer, 2 or 3 secons later it turn off. It doesn't start. If I put the old card, the computer start without problems.

I put a new bios (2.07), becouse I want 4 gb of RAM, but does not work anyway.

Which is the problem that I have? Is the new card broken?

Sorry for my english

i dont think that the vcard is broken i think there is a wrong bios version on card or laptop.

Perhaps there is a problem with your heatsink, did u ve modified the cooler for the mxm vcard adapter.

sorry 4 my english 2

i dont think that the vcard is broken i think there is a wrong bios version on card or laptop.

Perhaps there is a problem with your heatsink, did u ve modified the cooler for the mxm vcard adapter.

sorry 4 my english 2

Is not problem with my heatsink, becouse it only run 2 seconds. There is not time for take heat enough.

I speak with the seller, and he said me that HD3650 is not compatible 100% with amilo pi1536. Is it true? Which card is compatible?

I change the bios for version 2.07. But I try with 1.19 and 2.06 too.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Meins321

i can only speak for my m5550, i am running a HD4650 1GB DDR2 mxm-2 card out of an acer laptop with red pcb.

cpu is t7200, 4GB ram, 3.25MB recognised (as it is a chipset limitation that was introduced by intel and only one who conquert it was dell in their xps with an extra bios module that didn't fit inside an AW-Bios, and yes it is an bios related problem which is very deep in hardware)

booting and running fine under windows 7 x64

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Which BIOS good for me?

Pi1536 + 8600M GS 512MB DDR2, Win7 Ultimate x86 and now i have 2+0,5GB ram but i would like to upgrade for 2x2 = 4 GB ram.

It works great now.

The 8600M GS have Acer bios.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out a way to operate my Xi 1546 with more than 2.5GB RAM with 9700GT. No BIOS was perfect. One lets you use 3.25GB RAM, but your nVidia card just starts Windows in 4-bit mode, the other lets the GPU work perfectly but limits the RAM to 2.5GB.

The old ATI x1800 was OK with 3.25GB RAM, but the nVidia card is not.

Please do correct me if you find the answer!

BTW I wonder if those 1GB HD3650 and HD4670 cards really use the full 1GB video RAM. The thing is - so I read - that the motherboard chipset is only capable of using 4GB of total ram, video memory included. Now 3.25GB system RAM + 1GB video RAM > 4GB.

Hi!

Which BIOS good for me?

Pi1536 + 8600M GS 512MB DDR2, Win7 Ultimate x86 and now i have 2+0,5GB ram but i would like to upgrade for 2x2 = 4 GB ram.

It works great now.

The 8600M GS have Acer bios.

Edited by aczelkri

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out a way to operate my Xi 1546 with more than 2.5GB RAM with 9700GT. No BIOS was perfect. One lets you use 3.25GB RAM, but your nVidia card just starts Windows in 4-bit mode, the other lets the GPU work perfectly but limits the RAM to 2.5GB.

The old ATI x1800 was OK with 3.25GB RAM, but the nVidia card is not.

Please do correct me if you find the answer!

BTW I wonder if those 1GB HD3650 and HD4670 cards really use the full 1GB video RAM. The thing is - so I read - that the motherboard chipset is only capable of using 4GB of total ram, video memory included. Now 3.25GB system RAM + 1GB video RAM > 4GB.

1.19: 4Bit vga mode

2.06: vga good but memory limit 2,5gb

2.07: 4Bit vga mode

So, i put back the last FS BIOS.

• 1 month later...

I'd like install one 8600GT 256MB for my Uniwill 259EN1 (same as Alienware m5500)

- 1,5 GB RAM Installed

What bios version will work for it?

Anybody can post a link to Alienware 2.03 (m5500) BIOS Version? I think it's what i need.

Thx a lot, and sorry for bad english.

No, 4GB is not possible. 3.25GB is the max with ATI video cards. With nVidia cards 2.5GB is the max. Don't ask why, I have no idea, it is just my experience :)

is there a fix for using T7200 + 9600m GT + 4GB? like a bios mod or something???

No, it's apparently a limitation of this particular notebook chipset.

in conclusion: what is the best configuration?

i have got an amilo pi 1536 whit 2.07 alienware bios and T7600 2gb ram & ati x1400

i want to upgrade ram and gpu, which configuration whit 2x2gb ram can you suggest me?!

i bought a 9600m gt but i understand that if i want to let it work i must become crazy: i must edit the vbios and flash it, but i'm lazy so i think i will sell it.

does someone know a working solution?

The fastest card you can put in is AFAIK the nVidia 9700M GT DDR3 (or GDDR3? I am not sure). It allows 2.5GB RAM. ~6100 3DMarks

The fastest card that lets you use 3.25GB RAM is the ATI 4670. ~4700 3DMarks

I don't know much about the vbios and such stuff. My 9700M GT was working right out of the box, but it is possible that the dealer had weaked it beforehand. He also said that the 9600M GT has BIOS issues (like 30 sec wait at bootup and vbios things) while the 9700M GT is free of problems.

Edited by aczelkri

i think there's got to be a fix because with the 1.19w you got 4bit s*** with 2.06w it works but there is memory limited and with 2.07w 4bit s***

• 3 weeks later...

Would you please send alienware M5500 2.03 bios to me

nonaboncy@yahoo.com.hk

Thanks & Regards

With the 2.03 bios you can put into amilo pi1536/alienware m55xx a nVidia card and 4 GB of ram???

Second question, hi guys can someone of you tell me if the 9600M GT with 512mb ddr3 vram and with acer bios works on amilo pi1536? don't matter if there is the 30 sec boot problem or i have to edit and reflash vbios, i know how to do these things, i want only to know if the card boots up after these problem! please give me answers:)

here is a link of a 9600m gt mxm i've found on ebay, please tell me if is good for amiloes:

With the 2.03 bios you can put into amilo pi1536/alienware m55xx a nVidia card and 4 GB of ram???

Second question, hi guys can someone of you tell me if the 9600M GT with 512mb ddr3 vram and with acer bios works on amilo pi1536? don't matter if there is the 30 sec boot problem or i have to edit and reflash vbios, i know how to do these things, i want only to know if the card boots up after these problem! please give me answers:)

here is a link of a 9600m gt mxm i've found on ebay, please tell me if is good for amiloes:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360335422320&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

this is the 9600m gt on ebay.

Someone of you know good sellers for 9700 or ati hd 4670 also?

thanx in advance to all.

The fastest card you can put in is AFAIK the nVidia 9700M GT DDR3 (or GDDR3? I am not sure). It allows 2.5GB RAM. ~6100 3DMarks

The fastest card that lets you use 3.25GB RAM is the ATI 4670. ~4700 3DMarks

I don't know much about the vbios and such stuff. My 9700M GT was working right out of the box, but it is possible that the dealer had weaked it beforehand. He also said that the 9600M GT has BIOS issues (like 30 sec wait at bootup and vbios things) while the 9700M GT is free of problems.

hi Aczelkri, i've a rapid question: the 9700m gt that you are using and that is compatible with amilo pi1536, what vbios mounts? An acer bios? Because i've found on the web only an MSI 9700m GT. Can you post the link of the seller of your card? Please answer!

And do you know if the 9800m gt is compatible? because has a sli connector that may not fit in the amilo mxm slot.

Finally for the hd 4670, i can't find cards on ebay, and i don't know what are the models compatible with pi1536.. have you got some informations?

Thank you in advance.

ps: i've found this 9700: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190500012031&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

can it go?

Edited by mtmarco

Hi all,

which is the best bios for an Amilo Pi 1536 and ATI X1400 to use more than 2GB of ram? What is the maximum after the bios mod? Can u link me that bios?

Thank u :)

P.S. is it removable video card?

Hi all,

which is the best bios for an Amilo Pi 1536 and ATI X1400 to use more than 2GB of ram? What is the maximum after the bios mod? Can u link me that bios?

Thank u :)

P.S. is it removable video card?

The video card is absolutely removable (is mxm slot card), you can change it with almost every new card: nvidia 9600m gt, 9700m gt, or ati mobility hd 3650 or hd 4650, but you have to buy mxm cards.

The bios for 3.25 gb of ram are the Alienware bios 1.19w or the 2.07, but these bios works with good graphics only with ati video cards, and with no more than 256 mb of vram. The links are in the previous pages in this post.