LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5520-5716 8400MG Overheat?

saczilla

These are my specs:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5520-5716

Card: NVIDIA Geforce 8400MG

Driver: 6.14.11.7637

Date: 8/19/2008

Basically I installed these drivers over my factory ones cause I wanted better performance when I had vista. When i downgraded to XP I went to the acer site and the drivers they have wouldn't install. I found the set that people recommended was the best for my card and installed them.

Now when I have my laptop on I have to have a fan blowing on it because the top left hand corner gets REAL warm. I figure this is the side with the graphics card.

I am thinking either the new drivers are overheating the card or maybe my fan is clogged up.

Any help would be appreciated cause this problem is driving me nuts and I am sick of always having to have a fan blowing my laptop..kinda defeats the purpose.

Going by just that isn't going to give an accurate temp reading, what you should do is, download a program called ntune and use it to monitor all of your temps, when gaming and when not gaming. Then I will be able to get a perfect idea of how hot your laptop really is. Thank you!

Alright, well when you get the program, please give idle temps and temps when the card is under some kind of use, like watching videos, stress test or so on.

Ok so I did a test with the fan not blowing on my computer so I can get a real test going.

Idle temp: 50 - 52

Stress test (youtube, other video sites, browsing)...I opened multiple youtube windows and let them all load while i watched others.

Temps: 69...72..SHUTDOWN!

Ask me anything else you need to know...i hate having to have a fan blow on my laptop..this is why I wanna get a macbook haha

Actually, those temps are far from bad, what I think you should do is try these drivers and see if your problem is solved:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=20269

No problem glad to help!

Alright so it's still shutting down. I think that i'm gonna go get one of those spray canisters and open up my laptop to clean off excess dust that is prolly inside.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Acer helper

I can solve your problem saczilla. I hope.

I have the same laptop and "had" the same problem. My computer worked fine out of the box then about 6-8 months later it started to overheat in the same manner as yours is. Turns out that the cooling fins were getting blocked with lint/hair.

I opened up the back of the laptop. took out the 4 screws holding the fan plastic plate in place (on the bottom of the laptop). The fan plate is then only held by plastic tabs. Gently remove the plate and you will now have complete access to the fan. you need to unscrew the 3 screws holding the fan in place. Then gently take off the fan. Once the fan is off you can clean out the lint and hair that is mostlikely blocking your fins.

Ciao

:)

• 4 months later...
Guest Guest

I have the same laptop and "had" the same problem. My computer worked fine out of the box then about 6-8 months later it started to overheat in the same manner as yours is. Turns out that the cooling fins were getting blocked with lint/hair.

I opened up the back of the laptop. took out the 4 screws holding the fan plastic plate in place (on the bottom of the laptop). The fan plate is then only held by plastic tabs. Gently remove the plate and you will now have complete access to the fan. you need to unscrew the 3 screws holding the fan in place. Then gently take off the fan. Once the fan is off you can clean out the lint and hair that is mostlikely blocking your fins.

Ciao

Thanks so much :o I was having the same problemos! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

I had these problems and i did what you did awhile ago it helped im now 3-4 months later and im over heating again im going to clean it out and buy a cooling pad im tired of it over heating

• 4 months later...

I made some quick instructions in how to clean the fan filter, since this thread is the first result in Google. And just happens it helped me find the cause for severe overheating which lead to big performance issues. :)

I hope someone can find a use for it.

Let's see... do I just add them as attachments hmm...

post-42012-125621999625_thumb.jpg

post-42012-125622000422_thumb.jpg

post-42012-125622001561_thumb.jpg

post-42012-12562200217_thumb.jpg

post-42012-125622003175_thumb.jpg

post-42012-125622003993_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Ciao

I have to say, this solution will work for most overheating problems. I have the same model aspire as the one in question, and I feel that my overheating problems might surpass these simple dust-clearing problems. I've had this laptop for over a year with no problems, and installed Windows 7 on it with much fanfare; the laptop has worked better in every aspect I can think of. However, as recently as a month ago, I left my computer on to run an errand. When I came back, the image on the screen was very distorted (colors were askew, it looks sort of like the extra channels you used to have on cable - not snow, but funny colors and whatnot). When I tried to turn the laptop off and on, the same screen problems would occur, but this time before I even had a chance to log in. After shutting it down and letting it sit unused overnight, it worked fine for a few hours - then the same problem. Now, I find that this problem happens even more frequently than before. It is sad to say, but I've had to resort to keeping a cold compress underneath the laptop while using it on my desk - I don't even think of keeping it on my lap anymore. I've found that the top left area gets extremely hot (like above). I've taken the computer apart as per your directions and cleaned out the dust-bunny family which apparently was residing inside my heatsink (to the point that the fan itself was almost free of dust).

I can use the laptop for short bursts, but I'm afraid to do anything more than use the internet browser. Even using VLC media player to watch some TV shows can cause this screen malfunctioning. I think it's an issue with my graphics chip, but I am nowhere near being an expert, just a mere aficionado. I am capable of doing whatever fix might work, but I'm terrible when it comes to diagnosing anything. Has anyone had an experience similar to mine, and if so, what were you able to do to fix it? (Buying a new laptop is currently nowhere near possible, as I'm just about to start a new job in a month out of state, and I have so many new expenses it makes me sick; I guess the final blow is this happening to my laptop, so if anyone has some assistance, it would be much appreciated.