LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with 9800M GT's using external monitor

BloodLust22

I have a Sager NP9262 that has Nvidia 9800M GT's. I'm trying to hook up my external monitor to it. However, everytime is tries to switch from the laptop display to the external the system crashes to blue screen, memory dumps and reboots. It will continue to do this until I either turn off the monitor or disconnect from the DVI socket. I have tried 5 different Nvidia drivers from here including the most recent Beta driver. Nothing seems to fix the problem. I have no idea what to try next since I'm not that computer savy. Any ideas? Please help. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue.

No, this isn't a hardware issue, but can you try the 178.13 drivers with modded inf? Just to see if it still happens as it still looks to me like a driver problem.

Just tried that driver set with the modded .inf and no luck. Crash, memory dump and reboot.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 3b

BCP1: 00000000C0000005

BCP2: FFFFF80002540369

BCP3: FFFFFA6010440950

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Here's what it says everytime. Doesn't mean anything to me.

Edited by BloodLust22

... Didn't see your last edit sorry.

Strange. I don't know but it does still look like a driver problem, did you uninstall the last drivers cleanly (driver sweeper)?

Strange. I don't know but it does still look like a driver problem, did you uninstall the last drivers cleanly (driver sweeper)?

I just go into safe mode and uninstall via remove programs from the control panel. Didn't know there was another way. Should I try that? I'm not sure if that would be the issue though since this problem started with my originally installed drivers before I started adding and deleting.

Oh, in that case it wouldn't be the drivers. Okay, here's what I'll do. I'll do a bit of research on it and see what I can find.

Oh, in that case it wouldn't be the drivers. Okay, here's what I'll do. I'll do a bit of research on it and see what I can find.

I appreciate it. I've done some googling myself and haven't found anything...

Me neither, will look some more though.

• 2 weeks later...

When restarting the computer with both monitors on what happens if you try Fn +F4 (or whichever combo your lappy has to switch monitors) before the GFX driver has been loaded. Does the screen go to external then? If it does, the hardware should be OK.