LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 8920G-9500GS

MrGin

1st hello to all of you,i'm from Greece.This is my 1st post and it starts with a question(a lots of questions better to say).I have the Acer 8920G with the 9500GS gpu.Can i upgrade the GPU?

The motherboard is an MXM II/III type compatible? Is this the only criterium that should i look for when searching for a replacement of the GPU?

I found This http://cgi.ebay.com/Nvidia-8800M-GTX-MXM-g...1QQcmdZViewItem

Its an 8800GTX is this compatible? I also found at the "sales MXM card" someone who sales an 9800GTX,is this compatible? If none is compatible which one

do you suggest? And besides removing the back of the laptop what else should i do before replacing the GPU?

I saw something about updating the BIOS to make it compatible with,where can i check if the newer BIOS makes the Laptop compatible with other GPUs besides the 9500GS? Thanks in advance and i m sorry if i got you tired with all these questions...probably more to come! :)

Edited by MrGin

1st hello to all of you,i'm from Greece.This is my 1st post and it starts with a question(a lots of questions better to say).I have the Acer 8920G with the 9500GS gpu.Can i upgrade the GPU?

The motherboard is an MXM II/III type compatible? Is this the only criterium that should i look for when searching for a replacement of the GPU?

I found This http://cgi.ebay.com/Nvidia-8800M-GTX-MXM-g...1QQcmdZViewItem

Its an 8800GTX is this compatible? I also found at the "sales MXM card" someone who sales an 9800GTX,is this compatible? If none is compatible which one

do you suggest? And besides removing the back of the laptop what else should i do before replacing the GPU?

I saw something about updating the BIOS to make it compatible with,where can i check if the newer BIOS makes the Laptop compatible with other GPUs besides the 9500GS? Thanks in advance and i m sorry if i got you tired with all these questions...probably more to come! :)

Hi mate welcome to the forum

Probably the 8800M GTX won't fit to your laptop. 9500M GS, 9600M and 9650M are MXM II where 8800M is MXM III. Probably you can go for the 9600M or the 9650M. If you find any, make sure is DDR3 and not DDR2, in order to see a difference comparing it to your current one. You will probably need to change the BIOS unless it's loaded with a compatible ACER bios. Changing the cards is almost like changing the RAM.

EDIT: I just check Acer website and it looks like there is an 8930 variant with a 9700M GT card which means 8930 has MXM III slot, so you can put MXM II and MXM III cards. The 8800M GTX will fit but probably you are gonna need to update the BIOS as that card is not from an Acer laptop.

Edited by nklive

EDIT: I just check Acer website and it looks like there is an 8930 variant with a 9700M GT card which means 8930 has MXM III slot, so you can put MXM II and MXM III cards. The 8800M GTX will fit but probably you are gonna need to update the BIOS as that card is not from an Acer laptop.

whatch out... 8920 is ddr2 centrino 1, 8930 is ddr3 centrino 2

not sure if 8920 is mxm-II.

8930 is MXM-III (9700m GT)

I am going to order a 8930 which comes with the 9700m GT. You have meantioned that it could be possible to upgrade the graphics card although acer currently do not seel any laptops with a better graphics card. If I was able to get a 9800 series gpu that came from a different laptop would this work? I read that you have to update the bios is that a hard job to do considering acer havn't probably got one?

Thanks!

possibly.. But unless acer actually has MXM GPU's for sale, then its very unlikely. Others will fit, but may not display anything, and even changing GPU bios may not even solve this.

I did read that MXM type III are the only slots the will fit the 9800 GTX... but also have seen that clevo have a 15" laptop with MXM type II that has either 9800 gt or 9800 GTX.

If i were in your position i would actually contact the companies directly, that way u are not taking our advice, as it is usually speculation and roumers.

Some models of the Acer Aspire 8920G came with a GeForce 9650M GS - a rebranded 8700M GT - and is thus MXM-III capable.

The problem comes from having a compatible VBIOS on the MXM card to be installed; Acers can be really stubborn about what they accept.

I would personally try to get said 9650M GS since we know it works with your original model.

I emailed acer...

Hi

I am soon going to order a 8930 which comes with the 9700m GT. Although this will be powerfull enough for the games I currently play I am aware it soon strugle to play the latest games at higher settings due mainly to its 128bit architecture.

Can you tell me if in the future I will be able to upgrade the graphics to 9800 gt or gtx? From what I have read these are far superior graphics cards. I have looked at mxm-upgrade.com and they say it may be possible, but I would need to contact you as they werent sure that a 9800 graphics card from another manufacturer (MXM type III) would work or need a bios update from acer?

Hope my question makes sense and you are able to help.

Thanks

They replied with...

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

Aside from driver updates its not possible to upgrade the graphics card of any laptop.

Regards

Acer Technical Support Team

Which was a lot of help!!! I done some searching and found some older acer aspire laptops which have been upgraded from 8400m to 8600m gpu's successfully.

Some day they must release a laptop with 9800gt or gtx, hell even 9700m gts would be good for a while, why did they never build it with a gts anyway I dont know!

Is there any other place I can find out if it could work? What if I phoned them?

Thanks

Typical response from customer "support", even Acer has had upgradeable laptops (GO5200/5350/5600/5700).

Acer's only replying as such to avoid unnecessary repair costs from people who do stupid things to their systems.

There's only one way to find out if the cards are compatible - test them yourselves.

This is the world of MXM upgrades, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks every1 for the replies and a Happy New( :) :) ) to every1.....As i see it the solution is ....buy try post the results and i am going to try but not right now...I saw that the new 8930 comes with 9700GT....and i would like to ask if i get a GPU a 9700GT that wont work what do i need to do to flash the Vbios(which application etc..).I also asked Acer Greece and their reply was That the only upgradable parts are HDD and memory and only these they can change.

Edited by MrGin

• 2 years later...

As it seems to have MXM 2.x slot type III, the form factor seems to be OK. Can't say about the BIOS.

Guest djbenson

i now have a 9500m gs installed, but i truly believe that it must be able to install a 9700m gt..

i have flashed my bios to the latest version but i have read about VBIOS.. where or how could i possibly flash that?

the bios is free to download on the acer website so if i flash my 8920 with the 8930 bios...?? but i think it is risky..

on the ebay shop the 9700m gt is confirmed as working on the 8920 but i don't know how trustworthy that source is...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Im another Greek Guy that has a 8920G. I really love this laptop due to its big screen. The model I have has an ATI 3650 HD Video card that I am not satisfied at all. I also had thermal problems as my laptop shutdown from high temperature at some point. About a month ago I replaced the moob which had a problem and now everythings works just fine (except GPU ofc). So what do you suggest as a video card? My current spec is 4gb DDR2 800mhz Kingston 1 hard drive that it was shipped + Western Digital at 7200RPM and 16mb Cache. Probably soon Ill replace the CPU to T9400 (Current is 7500) I found one about 120€ and the last part of the puzzle is the Video Card. Im also thinking of ways to lower the temperature of this little monster (put extra copper parts under the bottom cover and similar things but I need to finish with VGA 1st and then ill go for the rest. Hope to solve it waiting to hearing from you all...

Guest alcatraz

Hello everyone. Im another Greek Guy that has a 8920G. I really love this laptop due to its big screen. The model I have has an ATI 3650 HD Video card that I am not satisfied at all. I also had thermal problems as my laptop shutdown from high temperature at some point. About a month ago I replaced the moob which had a problem and now everythings works just fine (except GPU ofc). So what do you suggest as a video card? My current spec is 4gb DDR2 800mhz Kingston 1 hard drive that it was shipped + Western Digital at 7200RPM and 16mb Cache. Probably soon Ill replace the CPU to T9400 (Current is 7500) I found one about 120€ and the last part of the puzzle is the Video Card. Im also thinking of ways to lower the temperature of this little monster (put extra copper parts under the bottom cover and similar things but I need to finish with VGA 1st and then ill go for the rest. Hope to solve it waiting to hearing from you all...

I would go for the Core 2 Duo Extreme CPU as I have the same model and it rocks! I am also looking for similar graphic update. I also have the same graphics card as you but I dont know what I can run on the system. I surely read on another site on the web that the x920G family so that includes 5920g 6920g and 8920g ... all can run a 9650GT without issues, but they had something tweaked and it was not a hardware thing but a software one ... Also they talked about an A1 and a C1 revision. They confirmed that the C1 has better performance. Hope this helps you