LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Weird problem with Amilo 1536 and 8600GT

Ferlauf

Hi guys!

Since my ATI x1400 card almost died (artifacts in 3D), I have decided to replace it with another card.

So I have bought an Asus 8600 GT with 512MB DDR2 (model P555). I put it in, but the notebook was resetting all the time. At first, I thought it's not going to work at all. But just in case, I was trying to switch the cards several times. And once, I switched the cards right after the notebook was working for a while with my old x1400, so it was still hot. When I turned it on, the message about wrong MXM structure popped up. So I figured out that the problem is that notebook doesn't want to boot while it's cold.

After a while I managed to update the BIOS with this one: Acer.8600MGT.512.070920. And then I was using it without any problems during the whole day. Also, I was playing games and everything, without any problems. Until I turned it off...

After half an hour, it didn't want to turn on. It was resetting just like before. Then I tried the same thing: put the old x1400 and let it work for half an hour, then turn it off, and rapidly replace the cards. And only this scenario works.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? I assume that there might be some electronic components that need to be warmed up in order to work, maybe some capacitors in the power input circuit or something... I also tried to warm it up with the hair dryer, but that didn't help...

Any ideas?

update your motherboard bios

Well, I tried that, of course... That was the first thing I did... And not only with one revision, but with 4-5 of them...

I tried both with FSC's BIOSes and with Alienware's... With the new ones and with the old ones... But nothing happened...

Well, I tried that, of course... That was the first thing I did... And not only with one revision, but with 4-5 of them...

I tried both with FSC's BIOSes and with Alienware's... With the new ones and with the old ones... But nothing happened...

Have you tried with the uniwill vbios, i'm running this card on my xi1546 no problems

Edited by facey

Have you tried with the uniwill vbios, i'm running this card on my xi1546 no problems

I didn't dare to, since their last official BIOS is from 2006.

Thanks for posting your ROM. But, unfortunately, I have the same one and it doesn't work... :)

I didn't dare to, since their last official BIOS is from 2006.

Thanks for posting your ROM. But, unfortunately, I have the same one and it doesn't work... :)

I think you have defective card unfortunately...

I think you have defective card unfortunately...

I tried it in my friend's notebook and it was working fine.

Now I managed to warm up the processor with a hair dryer, and after 1-3 minutes it boots up without any problems.

Weird...