LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8400GS Overheating

Mr. Magoo

I have spent some time looking over the board trying to find answers to two of my problems.

1) When I try to run Mass Effect my system overheats quickly

2) I am sure this is a drive/firmware issue between the Video and possibly the system.

I need a recommendation for the driver that will work best. Mass Effect is the most intense game (graphically) that I will be playing, but I often watch HD videos

I am currently running an untweaked 177.98 driver

System:

Sony Vaio SZ650N/C

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Seagate 7200.2 RPM disk

XP Pro SP3 (32-Bit)...(Yes I know I only see 3 GB of RAM..)

MoBo BIOS is latest, etc.

Some one please help. I am just trying to get the most out of my purchase, and unfortunately Sony Support is not good for that...

Edited by Mr. Magoo

what happens? when it overheats?

Huh? Well I should have included that...

First the screen goes blank, than less than a second later the whole system shuts down.

But funny enough it will reboot immediately with no problems.

BTW I have tried with driver 180.77 and still having the same issue.

I have spent some time looking over the board trying to find answers to two of my problems.

1) When I try to run Mass Effect my system overheats quickly

2) I am sure this is a drive/firmware issue between the Video and possibly the system.

I need a recommendation for the driver that will work best. Mass Effect is the most intense game (graphically) that I will be playing, but I often watch HD videos

I am currently running an untweaked 177.98 driver

System:

Sony Vaio SZ650N/C

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Seagate 7200.2 RPM disk

XP Pro SP3 (32-Bit)...(Yes I know I only see 3 GB of RAM..)

MoBo BIOS is latest, etc.

Some one please help. I am just trying to get the most out of my purchase, and unfortunately Sony Support is not good for that...

The overheating is most likley caused by the fact the cpu and gpu share a heat pipe, one heats the other. so if youre cpu is heavily loaded, the gpu teperature will quickly climb to over 100 degrees!

Happens all the time in Fallout 3 on my machine, I used power settings to limit the cpu to 80% maximum speed and temperatures stayed around 90 degrees. There is such a gap between the cpu and gpu performance thet gameplay didn't slow at all.

Sadly the 8400m is prone to overheating and sudden death.

hey pal before trying anything else , please open ur lappy and chexk for dust inside . this is the problem usually ...