LaptopVideo2Go Forums
Dox

"Low level" Gpu Overclocking

Dox

thanks guest rene.

If you have you cant flash try this:

in dox mode C:\> type nvflash protectoff select overridesub

then to flash C:\> type nvflash [name of you bios].rom

if you cant boot into windows after the flash you can try turning protection back on

type nvflash protecton

if you cant still boot it means you've gone to high on your OC.

Guest Guest
thanks guest rene.

If you have you cant flash try this:

in dox mode C:\> type nvflash protectoff select overridesub

then to flash C:\> type nvflash [name of you bios].rom

if you cant boot into windows after the flash you can try turning protection back on

type nvflash protecton

if you cant still boot it means you've gone to high on your OC.

also tried that but in vain.. protectoff thing

it says unknown eeprom

Urexis

For those of you with specifically an Inspiron 9400/E1705 and a GeForce 7 series, here is how you can unlock the vid BIOS for later overclocking using a higher level tool such as RivaTuner or ATItool (this method is preferable if you don't want to have your clocks raised permanently, although you can always enable RivaTuner's setting to apply clocks on startup, thus essentially achieving the same thing).

For the 7950 GTX would recommend at least upping the memory clocks from 600MHz to 700MHz as the latter is the factory stock, but DELL in all their wisdom decided to underclock to 600MHz (granted that's partly due to the fact that they themselves know they can't cool their notebooks for s***, but get some AS5 on it, and all should be dandy) Most of you will already know all of this, but it's relevant to the thread, so i'm posting anyway for those who don't.

Link to archived webpage: http://web.archive.org/web/20070706075557/.../jlgm/peng.html

As always, you're flashing your BIOS here, it's dangerous yada yada, don't do it if you have any doubts etc. The instructions on the page should be sufficient, should you have any queries, make sure you don't contact me, i don't want any further advice from me being responsible for frying your card.

Other than that, enjoy your new clocks, i've managed to squeeze about 1000 3Dmarks (06) just through OCing (stable clocks) and other optimizations. Thanks to Dox for the drivers as always, it's a great resource you have here |-_-|d.

P.S. For those of you that have done a bad flash, here's a useful link concerning recovery:

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread181387.html

I don't guarantee that it'll work, but what have you got to lose?

Edited by Urexis

Anurag
nvflash -4 -5 -6 [your rom name here]

what does this do??

Urexis

If you follow the second link I posted, you'll see:

"The -4 -5 -6 command arguments will be referred to as force flashing. This bypasses certain safety limitations built into nvflash."

Hope that helps.

Galdere

DOX - Link for "HP bootable software" is "Page not available. Contact the administrator" on Notebook Review.

Maybe change to the direct link - http://rapidshare.com/files/112382685/SP27608.zip - same as it is for the boot files?

Cheers

Edited by Galdere

Galdere

Hadn't felt this was necessary before, but with Dox's walkthrough, and the added bonus of being able to use his new clocks as a reference on the same machine and card as mine, helped me decide to give it a go.

Works great. Nice extra with a good explanation of how to go about it.

Thanks very much Dox. :-)

Dox

you welcome.

I have an 8% overclock and I'm happy with that, gives a nice boost in performance.

I see you are from England, I live in portsmouth :)

Happy Holidays

Galdere
you welcome.

I have an 8% overclock and I'm happy with that, gives a nice boost in performance.

I see you are from England, I live in portsmouth :)

Happy Holidays

Yeah it's a safe bet with a worthwhile bonus (plus you've tested it for me :) )

I get a noticeable boost with NO change in temp at all that I've noticed as of yet.

I'm from Manchester. Merry Christmas Dox, the LV2G team and all forum users. :-)

Guest S.o.n.y.

I tried to flash with command "nvflash -r OC.rom" but I just got error message: "Supported eeprom not found." and it gave my eeprom ID number which was 20,00ff. Does anyone know how to fix the error I got? Or at least to tell me why do I get this error message. Thanks.

S.o.n.y.

kereta

Just curious, is it possible for me to overclock using other softwares such as rivatuner after i flash my video card.

ps: i am planning to underclock my "low level" GPU clock speed using bios flash to reduce my GPU temperature.

zipper

Flashing shouldn't affect the other properties - if overclocking worked before it should work still.

Guest Rene
I tried to flash with command "nvflash -r OC.rom" but I just got error message: "Supported eeprom not found." and it gave my eeprom ID number which was 20,00ff. Does anyone know how to fix the error I got? Or at least to tell me why do I get this error message. Thanks.

S.o.n.y.

@S.o.n.y.

You need to do type this at the command line.

nvflash -r

nvflash -6 *.rom

(*) is your file name.

let me know

T0mat3

hi, im getting some sort of hierarchy problem. Im guessing its because my laptop can run SLI. It says i cant change it because its not the right hierarchy even though i only have 1 gfx card. Anyone know how to solve this? ive tryed the -4 -5 -6 trick and the -r one also. Let me know :)

Edited by T0mat3

Dox

You could try and uninstall one card from the device manager then flash the one installed.

Then uninstall that then install the one that you uninstalled, then flash that?

illmatic

This s*** really F(&^*** pisses me off man.

I can't do Dox's low-level bios guide cause I have an HP and the BIOS shows up unknown

I can't do the BIOS editing with Phoenix BIOS Editor cuz the HP DV2500T's BIOS don't unpack correctly.

The only way to overclock this F(&^*** thing is using drivers 169.04 which are outdated as heck, so annoying

Guest Guest
This s*** really F(&^*** pisses me off man.

I can't do Dox's low-level bios guide cause I have an HP and the BIOS shows up unknown

I can't do the BIOS editing with Phoenix BIOS Editor cuz the HP DV2500T's BIOS don't unpack correctly.

The only way to overclock this F(&^*** thing is using drivers 169.04 which are outdated as heck, so annoying

I had this problem and I was able to fix it by using WinPhlash and repeatedly backing up the BIOS and using the created file as my replacement file for the next backup- after a few iterations, the file it produced opened in Phoenix BIOS Editor.

;

Be careful! Be very very careful when it comes time to phlash--- I was so scared I almost pee ed my pants! But it worked! :)

Mushu

Anyone know why I get the "Could not enable the PROM pins" error? It only appears one time after a couple of beeps or so.

Guest Ahm3dS

Hallo..

I overclocked my pc from 700mhz to 880mhz its running OK i got more 5fps in gta iv but after 15min of playing the fan run verry fast and the air go out verry fast and make noise is this dangerous wot i can do ? i back to default and remover overclocking?

radixxx

Dox good work but whether it will work with the DELL XPS M1730 - 8800M GTX SLI ? ? ?

Or maybe someone already tried ? ? ? :)

Guest LLW_89

Thanks Dox.

Actually the command line in nvflash -4-5-6 xzxz.rom is not works in my system. After tried a lot of time, I found out the command line C:/> nvflash -4- -6 xzxz.rom will out for the subsystem ID mismatch and also the board error.

LLW_89
Dox good work but whether it will work with the DELL XPS M1730 - 8800M GTX SLI ? ? ?

Or maybe someone already tried ? ? ? :)

Just do the same thing that DOX said.

For the SLi when you enter into boot you should type C:/> nvflash --index=0 -4- -6 xzxz.rom (for the first GPU) and for the second GPU you should tyoe C:/> nvflash --index=1 -4- -6 xzxz.rom. It is strongly suggest that you use the same BIOS for both GPU. I think you should do the flash for twice.

Edited by LLW_89

McGoof

I can't dump my bios using any program... Nvidia program says that my device is not supported. nibitor causes BSOD and finally- GPU-Z says, that BIOS reading is not supported on my device... Can be this caused by Compal (I have VBI laptop) as subvendor? Howerer, would it be very risky trying to update bios?

post-29336-1233259154_thumb.gif

Edited by McGoof