LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WinDVD problem

marftarf

Hi:

thanks for all your work on these .infs! I had been using 45.23 and it really improved game performance. However, I recently moved from Canada to the UK and so had to switch the region settings on my dvd-rw and WinDVD to play european DVDs.

the first DVD I tried to play after this wouldn't work - winDVD opens and says "create layer failed" or something like that "try lower resolution and colour depth". I had to go way down in resolution before anything would work. I tried uninstalling the video driver and going up to 53.04, same problem.

when i went back to the original toshiba-supplied driver (36.39) I didn't have the problem anymore. grudgingly, then, I am temporarily going to stick with the oldie but baddie 36.39. Any ideas on what might be happening here?

many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
moved from Canada to the UK and so had to switch the region settings on my dvd-rw  

Hello,

i suggest that you flash your drive to rpc1. We have the same model, so you have the R6012 drive. The lastest region free firmware is x332. Be aware that you LOOSE your WARRANTY (if you still have one or extended it to 3 years like me) and your TOSHiBA XP OEM Recovery CDs don't work anymore, because the recovery setup program checks the hardware/firmware of your built in components. As long as you dont have to return your Laptop to Toshiba for warranty stuff, i.e. harddrive replacement (like in my case) you can flash your drive. There is even software out there which can do the job of rpc1.

Regarding the problem of WinDVD, i can't help.