LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptops f***** since updating to 180.84 drivers

Guest Matt

Hey,

I installed this driver with the modded inf last night and its f***** my Asus Ms1n laptop with card Nvidia 9500m GS. It started making the fan run alot noisier like its running harder and i dont know what to do. I rolled it back to the previous driver, still no luck, did a system restore to a few weeks ago, no luck, re-installed the OEM driver from the CD after uninstalling the new one, no luck, re-imaged the laptop with the OEM DVD back to original specs, no luck, reset the bios to manafactures default, no luck.

Any idea's guys, or should i send it off to Asus?

Cheers

There is no way this driver could damage your lappy or change any BIOS settings, you must be overreacting about the fan. Maybe it was running the same before but you didn't notice that. Anyway that's not really a serious issue as long as the laptop doesn't overheat (it could be a little annoying because of the noise though)

Next time if you want to roll back to a previous driver, just use Driver Sweeper instead of formatting and reinstalling everything :)

Download GPU-Z, check your temperatures and don't worry :)

Im not overreacting, ive googled a fair bit and there were multiplle cases where the fans have been affected after doing a driver upgrade, but there wasnt really many solutions. Usually you couldnt hear the fans, unless i was gaming for a while and had it sitting on my lap and every now and then they would kick off, now they are constantly running at a higher speed (im assuming, cos its louder) and never shut off.

hey, same for me on my Asus G1S

before 180.84, i used the 180.60 and Fifa09 runs smoothly,

with 180.84 i had some texture problems in GTA4 and Fifa, so i roll back to 180.60 but the performance in fifa and gta is just bad... dont know whats happened...

Since yesterday i reinstalled windows and still the same s***ty performance :)

@Matt

Oh, I'm sorry... Never heard of such issue. Do you have any advanced fan settings in BIOS?

Not that im aware of, i had a poke around and couldnt see anything. There are 3 bios updates available for my model of laptop, and im not sure if i should try flashing it with all of them one by one from the oldest update to the latest to see if any of these make a difference.

I just dont see how my bios could come into play, since upgrading a driver shouldnt affect this, and im not sure how a graphics card driver could even affect the fans. Are there any kind of settings somewhere in windows which could change this...i.e power settings?

I knew i should of left it, all i was trying to do was get GTA 4 performing better. I should probably add that i also installed the GTA 4 update at the same time, but this made things worse with the game anyway.

I knew i should of left it, all i was trying to do was get GTA 4 performing better.

Naaah, not your fault, everyone wants to squeeze out top performance of his comp :)

I just dont see how my bios could come into play, since upgrading a driver shouldnt affect this, and im not sure how a graphics card driver could even affect the fans. Are there any kind of settings somewhere in windows which could change this...i.e power settings?

I'm surprised what did the driver do to your laptop too, but, well, upgrading BIOS is really worth a try I think, BIOS can have a big influence on how hardware works.

You said you re-installed Windows, so all power settings etc. are also back to normal, so if that was an OS issue then the fan should work good now. Anyway you can't change any fan settings in Windows itself. There are external programs you can control fan speeds with such as SpeedFan or RivaTuner, but they don't seem to work with laptop fans since they're usually 2-pinned (desktop PC fans have 3 pins).

Reassumming, try to update your BIOS/VBIOS and if that doesn't work send the comp back to Asus, good luck.

Just thought i would let you all know that i managed to fix it by installing the latest BIOS update, which is strange......dont know how updating a driver did all of this......anyway just a tip for the young players.