LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v179.28 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA

mobilenvidia

Yes it is, and it says " AGEIA Physx is not installed"

reinstalled the 8.11.18 and got the same message

You should have GeForce PhysX as long as you do not have a dedicated PhysX card.

But get 185.20 - it's faster and Control Panel is fixed/enhanced + no HDMI problems for me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• ExNihilo

• Andrew55

• SD403

Does anyone know how to adjust the powermizer settings for the 179.28 drivers? In particular, I would like to set the minimum core and memory clocks below which the drivers will not downclock.

Using these drivers on my HP (9600M GT, 512 megs DDR2 RAM), the GPU clock for the 9600M GT ranges all the way from 100MHz to 500MHz according to GPU-Z. This means that Aero performance (e.g. Flip3D) gets really jerky after the GPU has downclocked itself to 100MHz. It doesn't take long for the GPU to speed up again (e.g. if I let Flip3D cycle through the various windows), but the initially poor desktop performance is rather annoying.

If I use the latest HP-provided drivers (179.04), the GPU clock doesn't downclock below 275MHz. The GPU upclocks to 400 or 500MHz depending on the 3D application. The 275MHz clock speed floor is sufficient for smooth Vista Aero performance on my rig.

Therefore I would like to make 275MHz the clock speed floor if I use the 179.28 drivers.

Many thanks in advance.

Wrong.

3) Add RAM (if possible). You really need at least 2GB for Vista and games to run well. Vista 32 can support 3GB (MS also has some funky stuff that can boost it if your hardware is compatible, but haven't messed with it. It's called PME or something. Haven't tried it myself.)

ReadyBoost's purpose is not to serve FPS and does not affect it in any incremental or noticeable way.

Indexing reducing performance would be false. Windows Vista only indexes when your system is idle.

Many people have the misconception that customizing this setting will produce benefits. Windows Vista optimizes what it deems to be efficient already, hence there is really no need for any modifications.

"Your skill at Trolling has increased!" Hiding behind a Guest account...how original.

The path to disabling Superfetch was perfectly acceptable. After a month of HD thrashing, and gameplay that was as smooth as an arthritic 93 year-old using a cartoon flipbook, I decided to try shutting Superfetch off. The result? Everything from Crysis to WoW was smooth. It's a nice idea, but for every person I've talked to that's gaming, it bites.

As for RAM, you may as well double (at least) the requirement that Microsoft puts on the box for the OS. Their number is to use the OS adequately, not your apps as well. *grin*

Getting past the 3GB limit on Vista 32 has to do with PAE and BCDEdit. Nice article at Microsoft

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have the need for random reads when playing. ReadyBoost is built to handle them. Less waiting = better performance = better FPS. WoW has been a perfect example of the benefits of ReadyBoost. The 4GB flash drive I added is doing work my drives don't have to, and things have been much nicer.

Nice article by "the man", Mark Russinovich: Russinovich explains Vista

Tuning Indexing (or even turning it off) had three articles. Lenovo even mentions something along the lines of it "constantly updating", and suggests nipping it.

TechRepublic

PC911

Lenovo Support

As for swap/pagefiles, I double-checked with our networking guy, just to see how he and other admins thought. This falls into two camps, just like shutting PCs off vs. leaving them on. The problem is, when it's handled dynamically, what happens if Vista "deems" incorrectly? It has to rapidly change the size, taking up clock cycles, RAM, and the drive. I wouldn't call that "efficient". If the system worked as well as you say it did, we wouldn't have options on size, or placement. We'd be sitting here, hoping our drives didn't run out of room, and praying Microsoft's guessing game doesn't get us ganked in an Arena, BG, or Tournament. For non-gamers or games that aren't as performance driven, the standard may very well work fine. When the pagefile is static and on a separate spindle (i.e. drive) however, you're going to see improvement...unless the RPM and transfer rate sucks. :)

So, spank you very much, Mr. Guest...and have a nice day. :)

Hi Guys,

Installed these drivers on my xps1530 with 8600M GT card, before this i had 179.13 drivers on which GTA IV worked perfectly fine. After installing this driver GTA started behaving weird, once I start the game all I see is a few selected meshes & skybox, nthing else is getting rendered. Everything else appears blue, but the game goes on. I rolled back to the earlier drivers ( 179.13 ) but the problem remained. Then I reinstalled GTA IV, but still the problem was not solved. Finally, I downloaded 179.28_notebook_winvista_32bit_beta drivers from NVidia site itself but the problem still persists. Again i reinstalled GTA IV thinking lets try out everything fresh once again & nthing changed.

This is my first post over here, so dnno much abt the rules where to post & thing, posted here since this version gave me the problem. Has anyone else encountered same problem like this? I badly wana continue playing GTA IV :)

Thanks.

I don't currently have GTA IV (debating between PC and 360), so I can't help with something that specific, but did you try running something like DriverCleaner or Detonator Destroyer? If not, there could be something from other driver revisions left over that are blowing things up.

Edited by SD403

Give this a try:

Uninstall your existing driver, reboot into safe mode and use driver sweeper to clean out any remnants of it, reboot and install Dox's 180.84.1.

Edited by Galdere

Dox Drivers & Driver Sweeper resolved the problemo

Wowww ... i can play GTA IV once again! :)

Thanks Guys!

17xx are a little more reliable and less bugged but 18xx may be a tad faster, but the differences are under 1% and with some setups near 0%. GTA IV works mostly best with 18xx drivers.

I run Vista Ultimate 32bit on Dell M1730, 2.8 Ghz with 8700M GT Sli card, and after loading the 179.28 driver, all my problems with Far Cry 1.4. disappeared!!!!!!!!! I didn?t even overclocked the card. The game runs like magic. Great job, many thanks.

That's what WHQL drivers should always do, work without bugs - what they not too often do...

Good evening.

i´m serching a driver for my sli notebook. (my english is not very good)

I can´t find some the rigt vor my. i´ve got some problems with cod4+5.

whitch one is the right and the "best" for it?

Toshiba Satego X200 21L PSPBXE

Windows Vista Home Premium 32

2GB RAM

2* Geforce 8600M GT (SLI)

Thanks for help

why cant i download??? i get redirected to a error page with:

How did you end up here?

Please go back and try again.

Disable addons in firefox and you should be good to go.

Hi there, I read above that this driver is WHQL certified.

However, on the nvidia page it's stated that this is still a beta driver. No remark whatsoever about WHQL.

Others that are have the WHQL flag instead of the beta flag.

Now, is it WHQL certified or not?

I am having a Blu-Ray playback problem and want to rule thing out...

Thanx

Run dxdiag to check WHQL - I don't have this anymore, now running 179.32 WHQL.

Guest fourteen probably
Run dxdiag to check WHQL - I don't have this anymore, now running 179.32 WHQL.

Good hint. And yes, according to dxdiag the 179.28 has a WHQL certificate.

Did you encounter any enhancements of the 179.32 WHQL? Is that an officially issued driver by Nvidia or an OEM version?

It's HP and I think a descendant of 179.28 with a little better HDMI support for tricky HP lappies.

I'm running a 8200m on a hp g60-125nr. I can't seem to install this driver. I keep getting either a no hardware compatible found or a driver up to date problem. Even with the modded inf. Any suggestions?

Using the 179.28 on Acer 5920 I noticed that with the Nvidia Performance Utility (or whatever it is called) the option to direct the video output solely to external monitor (Full-HD Samsung via HDMI/HDCP) does not work.

Clone view does, but in that case only with the Notebook Display's native resolution (1280x800) which is not really good when watching Blu-ray 1080p on a FullHD with a max of 1920x1080.

Anybody else who has encountered this? I am about to rollback to 175.90 but I figure my performance for playing GTA IV will then suffer.

What a drag.