LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware m5500 - Problem: Upgrade from 7600 to 8600GT

TTT1

Hello,

My video card on my Alienware m5500i-R3 laptop was not working so I decided to purchase a 8600GT. I wanted to upgrade my Nvidia 7600.

After installing the card and putting everything together I tried to start my system back up but it makes a loud bleep and the fans will not start up. There is nothing on the screen but the hard drive tries to spin up and it recognized the power.

Sorry if this is not enough information, I'm not sure exactly what else I should tell you all.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello,

My video card on my Alienware m5500i-R3 laptop was not working so I decided to purchase a 8600GT. I wanted to upgrade my Nvidia 7600.

After installing the card and putting everything together I tried to start my system back up but it makes a loud bleep and the fans will not start up. There is nothing on the screen but the hard drive tries to spin up and it recognized the power.

Sorry if this is not enough information, I'm not sure exactly what else I should tell you all.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What bios are you running on your laptop and what vbios are you using?

Also if at all possible could you obtain a later bios than the 2.07 from alienware

I'm running the 2.07. I don't know if I could even find anything past a 2.07, at least not from alienware.

You must go back to 2.06w then work this card fine with 2.07 my laptop starts to windows and then gives conflict.Other problem you have a wrong vbios at your card then start the laptop nothing.

I found the bios. I'm going to see if it helps.

Edited by TTT1

So I tried to flash my bios but it didn't work because the screen is not functioning. Do you think that the video card is not properly attached?

Ok, so I put the new card in and everything is working ok. I flashed my bios to the 1.06w and put in the 8600. I tried to turn it back on but it failed again.

How do I go about flashing my video bios (if that is the problem).

Your Video card must have a Acer Vbios or a Nvidia Vbios with this works the card other Vbios not working blind flash is with this laptop not avaible.Bad problem you must search e user that can flash you the card.Where you buy this card ebay?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back!

Ok, so I sent back the old card and they sent me a replacement. I just installed it and it is working (kind of). I'm still only running on VGA mode but I need some drivers for it to work.

Do you know of any drivers that will work in my m5500 with the 8600GT?

Thanks for all your help.

Guest Amilo4ever
I'm back!

Ok, so I sent back the old card and they sent me a replacement. I just installed it and it is working (kind of). I'm still only running on VGA mode but I need some drivers for it to work.

Do you know of any drivers that will work in my m5500 with the 8600GT?

Thanks for all your help.

Hello! I seem to have same case with Amilo 1556 and GF8600GT (Blue PCB) from Mac Recycling.

It gives long beeb no picture, Fan doesen't start. Power and AC leds on. HDD led activity.

So you got a new 8600GT and it works??

That is right. They shipped me a new card and it is working.

The problem now is that my computer is overheating. I tried playing some games on it but it just shuts down.

I don't know what is a safe temperature is to be running at. Right now it is sitting at 82 C.

Is there a good way to control the temperature, fan control programs perhaps? Or a laptop cooler?

So your GPU is idling on 2D desktop mode @ 82 C ?

With RivaTuner is says that my Core Temp (is this the GPU?) is running at 79-82 on average.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a fan control program that will work with my system.

Edited by TTT1

With RivaTuner is says that my Core Temp (is this the GPU?) is running at 79-82 on average.

It's way out of normal, my desktop temp is about 55 and just tried 3DMark, 75 C. Does your fan increase speed , it should do it on about 60 C? Your cooling system needs servicing - you are about to burn your card soon. Perhaps a bios problem. You could look here, if they have some answers:

http://www.notebookforums.com/forum27.html

Those are normal, default 8600M GT speeds.