LaptopVideo2Go Forums

gta 4 very bad performance ... :( any suggestions ?

Pistino01

so today i installed gta 4 and to my surprise , performance was veeeeeryyyy bad ... at resolution 17xx/xxxx (dont remember , but it was just below full hd) the average FPS was only like 10!!! any suggestion would be greatly appriciated ... im running 179.13 driver and have allready installed the patch for the game (which has done nothing noticable on my sys btw. )

so again any help would be appriciated...

Thx , Pistino01

Hi,

I guess your problem is the resolution. The 9700 GT isn't the fastest card around and seeing that even a 9800 GT has problems with this game...

Here's a benchmark: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/...4_GPUs_1280.PNG

As you can see, the PC is a rig with an overclocked Quad Core Extreme and the tests were done in 1280 x 1024 and no AA (only AF).

Yet, the GeForce 280 GTX still only gets around 40 FPS... (the mobile 9700 GT has got less power than the 3870 - which gets 30 FPS - so it's clear for me that your resolution is much too high for that GPU)

Also you should keep in mind that GTA IV is highly multicore optimized (some benchmarks showed up to 25% better performance (Dual vs Quad) when using a quad core) so will get even less with a dual core.

=> The resolution is much too high for your GPU too handle in GTA IV (it's buggy as hell and a power ######)

PS.: I've got a laptop with a 7900 GSX and a T7200 (as you can see on the left) and can't even play smoothly on 1024 x 640 (most settings are just above the minimum)...

//EDIT: In addition you can use a few tweaks. Some people reported that setting the settings via parameter (and not in the options menu; your Link could look like this afterwards: “D:\Games\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe” -windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1680 -height=1050) gives an FPS increase. You can additionally disable Clip Capture (can be found in Options -> Game) which records the last 30 seconds of the game (so in case you do something cool, you can just pressa button and upload the scene ;-) )

Edited by FrozenLord

Guest david guest
Hi,

I guess your problem is the resolution. The 9700 GT isn't the fastest card around and seeing that even a 9800 GT has problems with this game...

Here's a benchmark: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/...4_GPUs_1280.PNG

As you can see, the PC is a rig with an overclocked Quad Core Extreme and the tests were done in 1280 x 1024 and no AA (only AF).

Yet, the GeForce 280 GTX still only gets around 40 FPS... (the mobile 9700 GT has got less power than the 3870 - which gets 30 FPS - so it's clear for me that your resolution is much too high for that GPU)

Also you should keep in mind that GTA IV is highly multicore optimized (some benchmarks showed up to 25% better performance (Dual vs Quad) when using a quad core) so will get even less with a dual core.

=> The resolution is much too high for your GPU too handle in GTA IV (it's buggy as hell and a power ######)

PS.: I've got a laptop with a 7900 GSX and a T7200 (as you can see on the left) and can't even play smoothly on 1024 x 640 (most settings are just above the minimum)...

//EDIT: In addition you can use a few tweaks. Some people reported that setting the settings via parameter (and not in the options menu; your Link could look like this afterwards: ?D:\Games\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe? -windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1680 -height=1050) gives an FPS increase. You can additionally disable Clip Capture (can be found in Options -> Game) which records the last 30 seconds of the game (so in case you do something cool, you can just pressa button and upload the scene ;-) )

yeah its a proper bag of bollocks TBH. only got the game running 25 fps+ consistantly by doing the following:

using XP

patch

use -minspecaudio switch to reduce cpu footprint (caps frames at 34 fps but also ups the lowest frame you'll hit)

turn off clip capture

turn off SLI as this only uses cpu power of which the game is desperately in need

set nvidia profile to performance

lower draw and distance to as low as you can bare (i find 10 is acceptable :s)

turn off shadows and get rid of the car density as every one of them will steal chunks of CPU cycles

i can play comfortably now at 1600x900 on m1730 C2D T7500 8800m GTX

...but performace is still not as it should be.

main thing to lower until it is patched are your expectations.

another tip on the GTA4 forums is to take the shaders from "other" cards and dumping them in the nv8 folder (if you have a 8x00/9x00 or better).

remember to back 'em up before modding.

Guest david guest
another tip on the GTA4 forums is to take the shaders from "other" cards and dumping them in the nv8 folder (if you have a 8x00/9x00 or better).

remember to back 'em up before modding.

take shaders from other cards? tell me more, please

Guest baltusrol's mason

fantastic!

got 10fps + increase by using above methods.

clean after install i was leaving safehouse and seeing 25fps looking up the street

after above tweaks now get 34 which is the max capped.

can also put detail/draw up to 20.

very smooth very playable on 1600x900 medium textures / high shaders / 20 / 20 / 1 / 0

for shaders tweak just rename atidx10 to nv8 in shaders folder

could someone tell me what to do with the shaders ?? in detail ... please

Thx , Pistino01

lol ok figured it was very easy ... a 5year old could do it ... and it really improved my performance . but not as high as 10 fps... now im averageng at 20 fps...

thx alot guys ...

Thx , Pistino01

Now im having only 4.8 fps . ( The game is very very slow )

But graphics are good .

i have intel core 2 duo E4600 @ 2.40 Ghz

2GB DDR2 Ram

512 MB video Memory .

What can i do ..please help .....

Thanks in advance

Basicaly it is just a badly optimized game, and rockstar need to do something about it quick. Even proper rigs with GTX 260s are struggling.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wolffarted

yeah, this game is very CPU limiting, I have three GTX 280s, turned off SLI because GTA4 doesn't support it, my cpu is an E8400 @ 3.95Ghz and rarely does my fps go over 22, it usually wonders around 10 - 20. cpu usage is pretty much always at 100% usage so, i guess i need to upgrade to a C2Q or i7 =( this game needs a serious patch to reduce cpu usage its insane.

rig:

Lian Li PC-P80 Case#

Samsung T260 26" screen (1920x1200 res)

Three XFX 280 GTX's 702 core with linked shader, memory @ 1240Mhz.

E8400 @ 3.95Ghz

XFX 780i MB

4GB Ocz RAM, cant remember clock speed but its around 1000Mhz at the moment.

anyone who has over 30fps all the time MUST have a C2Q or i7, its a discrace, no other game uses nearly as much cpu power as this.

• 7 months later...

it just a very bad console port...

you cant get much more performance.

rockstar sucks in this point