LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Attention HP/Compaq owners

zipper

The new 179.28 driver is the first and sole good one regarding performance/benchmarks and working digital video output. Worked for me for HDMI and reported to work on DVI via docking station. Worth testing :)

I agree. 3Dmark 06 scores this 200 points below 179.14, but 179.28 can be overclocked considerably higher. Achieved my highest stable overclock with this driver and 3Dmark 06 score of 10,844 points @ 1200 x 800. Plus everything works like zipper said. HDMI/ bluray/ SLi/ overclocking/ powermizer/ no down clocking.

Very supportive of this driver.

I believe these are the only drivers that I might like, since the sleep feature actually works. Before installing this driver I had Dox's latest modded driver and I had a problem with everything lagging while there was any audio playback. Now that's gone (hopefully). Functionality versus performance: functionality works for me.

Edited by FadeToBlack

modifying drivers give better resolution support and tweaks for openGL etc. so while whql or unmodified drivers support bluray, more often than not a modified driver will give better performance. the latest 179.28 is not the highest performing driver to date. but i have made some modifications to it, and it gave even better performance. unfortunately like u said, obviously my bluray wont work, but when i want to watch a bluray movie, i just install a different driver.

176.92 is still the best blueray HD movie playback driver for my system.

If you mod it to support your card you might actually see a difference in functionality and probably performance.

even though my card is supported, i added every other mobile card that was not there. changed a few other things liek resolution and a few DX10 tweaks.. was still just as good.

(although if i went further and changed other settings im not familiar with/ have limited knowledge on, then yeah that would probably create instability)

Wook, what were the clocks you used to get and the clocks you can go up to now with this driver? :)

for some reason i could only go from 625 800 to --- 645 810. now i can go to 660 820. this may just be my system, but worth a try.

The official WHQL 179.04 is ways better; high performace (>200 3DMark06 pts more than the previous 176.22 driver). CUDA/PhysX Acceleration enabled and plays Blu Ray

That's bull regarding the performance of 179.04 compared to 179.28. The latter runs rings round the former.

for some reason i could only go from 625 800 to --- 645 810. now i can go to 660 820. this may just be my system, but worth a try.

It might just be your system, but at least it worked for you. But you mean that you can go higher without artifacts, what prohibited you from doing this from the last driver? I heard this might not be as good in performance terms compared to the current 18x series, but it's very stable. :)

I'm currently running 181.00 I can overclock my GPU Core to 530 (without artifacts), and if I go any higher you would get some artifacts. This GPU Card is limited to it's overclocking abilities of course, and with it being an IGP. Anyway, I'll give this one a try later. :)

Edited by Shaythong

no i just get the 'driver stopped responding and has recovered' thing. yeah my system only overclocks a little, but this driver lets it go a whole lot further. i assumed it may be the same for other systems. let us know how it goes for u

• 5 weeks later...

The new 179.32 from HP/Compaq may be still better regarding the HDMI support - performance is about the same yet.