LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Heat problem on my Geforce Go 7900 GTX

Kurakil

Hey guys i'm pretty new to this website and i ve been trying a few drivers here and there over the last few days but i didnt manage to fix my problem

I have an XPS M1710 from Dell with a Geforce Go 7900 GTX, Its a good graphic card i think really, but it comes with a lot of heat problems (temperature rises and then i get a memory parity error bluescreen)

I am travelling for the next 6month and i m not gonna be able to take my fan table with me and i wondered if you guys can help me.

Basically, on my really old drivers i was able to tell my graphic card how much power to give thru the powermizer, Low, middle or high performance,

but with all the new drivers i ve been trying i am not able to do that anymore, even if i turn on the powermizer thing it basically does it by itself.

I want to be able to tell my graphic card to run with middle or low setting on games that dont require its full power but havent been able to find the right driver to do it

Can you help me out with this or even a better solution ?

I m already using I8kfangui to boost the fan to maximum and notebook hardware control to manage the processor, tried rivatuner but it s a bit too complicated.

Thanks in advance :

Edited by Kurakil

Have you tried cleaning out your fans? My m1710 reaches near enoguh 100 with a bit of dust in the heat sink, and 86 odd when cleaned out. Thats with I8kfanGUI left on automatic, not full fans.

yup, i clean them weekly. the only thing left for me to be able to play would really be to force my graphic card to work in middle performance mode i think. But can't with this new stupid powermizer

guess i ll try some more drivers here and there, maybe really old ones will give me the old powermizer bar back to be able to force switch the power

just wanted to post the device ID if it was of any help to help me :)

DEV_0299&SUBSYS_019B1028&REV_A1

• 1 month later...
Hey guys i'm pretty new to this website ... I have an XPS M1710 from Dell with a Geforce Go 7900 GTX, Its a good graphic card i think really, but it comes with a lot of heat problems (temperature rises and then i get a memory parity error bluescreen)

While I can't help you directly with what you're after, but I can empathise wholeheartedly with you: I'm also extremely new, and I have the exact same system and I burnt out a GPU because of heat issues.

(Worse yet, nVidia don't even support our cards anymore, and the latest driver you can get from Dell is... catch this... ver. 84.21 from July 2006.)