LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Flashing Vga BiOS with 9500m gs (g84 board) - Is it safe?

sondredh

Hi, i have an acer aspire 6920g laptop. I have been overclocking my 9500M GS for a long time now with 712 core, 458 memory, 1424 shaders, (original 475,400,950) max temp 62c, and it has been very stable, But i have only been able to overclock with the 169.04 drivers and these are very old :S . I have GTA IV and it's running very crappy with these drivers (8-12 fps, sometimes i can only see a blue background with cars flying in the air) even if i set all settings to the lowest possible (800x600, low, viewdistance etc. to 1). So i tried the DOX 180.84 drivers and it increased the performance of GTA IV quite a bit(now its running at aprox. 20 fps on low, 1366x768, no blue bg.). I tried overclocking with rivatuner with the DOX drivers, but the clocks reverted back to stock speeds. I've read This guide about flashing the Gpu BIOS. Is it very dangerous to flash the VGA BIOS? Can't i just reflash with my backup BIOS if it goes wrong? Has anyone done it with a 9500M GS? Since the 9500m gs has the faulty G84 board, should i rather wait for a patch for GTA iv that fixes the texture and low fps problems?

Thanks =)

As long as you do not screw the system up to the point of non-bootability, you can easily re-flash the original BIOS.

dude i can confirm that flashing of the gpu bios is 100% safe with tis laptop as i hav done it since the first day i got my lappie :) no probs till today. Even if u manage to screw up somehow u can always do a blind flash back to your original bios, so go ahead and do it already man! btw nice clocks u hav i tempted to try it out. how's performance? mine clocks are 670/470/1425

As long as you do not screw the system up to the point of non-bootability, you can easily re-flash the original BIOS.

But i've read somewhere about "blind flashing" and that you may need a PCI card or something if it goes wrong?

dude i can confirm that flashing of the gpu bios is 100% safe with tis laptop as i hav done it since the first day i got my lappie :) no probs till today. Even if u manage to screw up somehow u can always do a blind flash back to your original bios, so go ahead and do it already man! btw nice clocks u hav i tempted to try it out. how's performance? mine clocks are 670/470/1425

Ooops, didnt see your post. I get around 4300 pts in 3dmark06

No blind flashing basically means yours screen is blank and u hav to navigate blindly to reflash back to the original bios. So its best you leave your first boot device as the thumbdrive u r using to flash. in case after flashing to the new clocks your lappie boots into a blank screen you still be able to boot back into your thumbdrive and blindly type the command to flash back to your original bios. everything should go well i flashed mine a number of times already.

what resolution you tested it? im reinstalling 3d mark to test my clock i forgotten mine already. btw im using dox 180.84. would u mine posting back your scores if you decide to go ahead with flashing and install dox's drivers. i wish to see which clocks are better :)

btw u need to force flash your bios otherwise it will not work. add a -6 to force flash.

eg: nvflash xxxx.ROM -6

It didn't work :S

i get this error when trying to flash it:

Starting Windows Millennium Emergency Boot...

Microsoft® Windows Millennium© copyright Microsoft corp 1981-1999

C:\>nvflash OC.rom

Nvidia Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.72)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

ADAPTER: GeForce 9500M GS (10DE,0405,1025,0146) H:--: NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.0000)

does not match adapter PCI system ID (1025.0146)

ERROR: PCI Subsystem ID mismatch

I've tried making a new BIOS but i still get the same error:S

btw u need to force flash your bios otherwise it will not work. add a -6 to force flash.

eg: nvflash xxxx.ROM -6

Sorry forgot to refresh the page again :) .ok i will try your method...

goodluck dude :) it should work tis time. post back aft u succeed. btw i tried your clocks got sum artifacts when i run 3d mark was unsuccessful so i flashed back to mine.

Perhaps 99% safe - as long as power is not interrupted. Flashed several times years ago with no problems - except using a too hot overclock but managed to flash back.

true true i forgot to count in those unforseen circumstances :) even so i think u wil be wise enof to hav the battery plugged in just in case :)

Hey! =D Been waiting for someone to try flashing their vbios! wheee. im currently formatting my usb drive so that i can flash my vbios. i'm using the same lappy as urs btw ;D cheeeers

It worked!! :) :) :P

I flashed it with 700,450,1400 just to be sure.

3dmark 06 , standard (1280x768, no aa etc.) DOX 180.84 : 4568

sm2.0(1880 pts) + HDR/Sm3.0(1772 pts) = 3652

This is even better than my highest overclock (not very stable, crashed after 10 min when gaming) at 734, 470, 1468 with the 169.04 driver which got 4545 pts

in 3dmark06.

Fallout 3: + ~5 fps

Gta IV :runs at ~25-30 fps, everything on low so its a + 3-5 fps

Cod:Waw: + 3-5 fps

Gonna try my other games later.

Thanks for all the help :P

it worked for me too!!! tho i only clocked it at 665/1390/450.. using dox 180.70 driver. his 180.84 driver makes the players in fifa 09 turn into a puppet show. hahaha. thank you guys! :)

my 3d marks score based exactly on sondredh settings is 4676.

SM2.0 score-1949

HDR/SM3.0 score-1844

CPU score-1735

my clock settings are 670/470/1425

It seems i have found the right balance between all, stable in all games never crashed b4.

any1 with better setting/results plz do post it up!

Let the overclockin' feast begin! :)

hello. ever try to change the value for 2D? cause im experiencing laggy aero.. if you do.. whats ur value then? =)

nope nvr tried b4 tho it should work as well through flashing. i don't mind it being laggy anyway :) saves some power when on the move :)

altenative method without flashing would be forcing ur gpu to work at 3d(full speed) all the time by using powermizer switch.

Guest Chris2009

Hi Guys,

looks I found the right place :) I am totaly new with overclocking.. but also like to speed up gta iv a bit.

I use 180.84 (also strange it still show me in my nvidia control panel - systeminformation- 167.64

video bios. 60.84.69.00.36 So I even dont know if my 180.84 updated worked (i just think it is a bit better than before)

Now about Overclocking: Is it possible that someone make step by step tutorial how to overclock my 6920g with 9500m gs, like you did.

I downloaded rivatuner, but have no clue where to put my fingers.. how to make that burning that bios.. etc

So a small Tutorial for a young fox would be great :)

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Hi Guys,

looks I found the right place :) I am totaly new with overclocking.. but also like to speed up gta iv a bit.

I use 180.84 (also strange it still show me in my nvidia control panel - systeminformation- 167.64

video bios. 60.84.69.00.36 So I even dont know if my 180.84 updated worked (i just think it is a bit better than before)

Now about Overclocking: Is it possible that someone make step by step tutorial how to overclock my 6920g with 9500m gs, like you did.

I downloaded rivatuner, but have no clue where to put my fingers.. how to make that burning that bios.. etc

So a small Tutorial for a young fox would be great :P

Thanks in Advance

Chris

hello and welcome!

about ur driver prob, if u r using dox's optimised 180.84 then evrythin should be alrite. if u installed the original 180.84 drivers, u need to use the custom inf provided so ur gfx card be properly detected, tho it would break ur blu ray playback. so i recommend using dox's drivers, search it within LV2GO! :)

as of now, there are 2 guides available:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=160237

or

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22286

i used the 1st link's guide more detailed. remember at the end before flashing u nid to add -6 to force flash otherwise it will not work.

eg:nvflash xxxx.ROM -6

if u stil hav any probs jz post bck i'll do my best to help u out! :P all the best!

btw if u wanna use rinatuner method, u gotta go bck to 169.04 drivers which is waaay old. gta 4 would suffer using that drivers so u'll be better off flashing & using the latest drivers. don worry about the flashing part its vry safe make sure u follow step by step. :)

• 4 months later...