LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell D830 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M

Mortani

Thank you all for your great help with this site. I've tried a couple of the most recent versions of the 18x and 17x series drivers. I'm trying to install any fairly current driver but I keep having the same problem. It only detects the laptop WUXGA with only 16 bit color depth. External monitors are fine. Any thoughts.

Is there any further information I could supply to help figure this out?

• 3 weeks later...

it's similar problem to the one i'm having. after installing newest drivers from dell (179.24 or .29) only 16 bits is selectable, but on other drivers (i.e. 174) everything is ok. i've got 64 bits Vista and WUXGA... maybe it's something with memory management?

it's similar problem to the one i'm having. after installing newest drivers from dell (179.24 or .29) only 16 bits is selectable, but on other drivers (i.e. 174) everything is ok. i've got 64 bits Vista and WUXGA... maybe it's something with memory management?

I also got this problem after installing the newest drivers from Dell. (D830 - Vista Pro 64-bit),

but I found that I can go around this problem by defining a custom resolution at the NVIDIA Control Panel. Just tick the "Allow modes not exposed by the display"

Could you contact dell and tell them that the problem exists in more then one laptop ? :) I've emailed them with this problem and answer from Dell goes like this: we've got no similar issues repoted in our system, problem is on your side... :)

Many beta drivers do share this problem - 181.20 and 181.22 are the latest for me that don't allow custom modes to be created.

Guest TheCleaner

I had the exact same issue on Vista 64 bit on a Dell 830 with WUXGA and BIOS A14.

I resolved it by getting the 176.44 drivers (which is a compromise between the newest ones on Dell's site and the ones they release back in 2/08)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21361

Those drivers worked just fine for me and actually seem to work better than any I've used in the past so I'm not even going to bother messing with Dell support over this.

Oh, btw, it seems that the "16 bit problem" is only for the actual laptop display. A connected external monitor or 2nd external monitor will display in 32 bit mode just fine.