LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclock 5920G - UT3 performance

idro

First of all Merry Christmas to everyone :)

I was wondering if its possible to overclock my acer 5920G CPU from 2.2 to 2.4 or higher?

I have 8600M GT 512 DDR2. The default clocks for my card are 475/400 and I have it overclocked to 630/475. Anyone in here can overclock more than this with the same PC as I have?? Cuz every time I try to use higher clocks I get artefacts. What drivers will give me a better range of overclocking?

I dont know if this information is required but I'm using this:

(CPU1) IntelĀ® Core?2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz @ 2200MHz (Acer, Inc. Chapala mainboard) (RAM) 3GB, 2.31GB free (HDDs) 219GB, 54.6GB free

(VGA1) NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT [Custom Forceware 178.24] (512MB), 1280x1024x32, 60Hz (OS) Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP3) , 1h 29m 45s uptime, 2d 4h 10m 15s uptime record

I'm asking all this because I'm trying to play UT3 @ min 60fps at all costs but I have some drops in some maps like shangrila and deck. I already tweaked my ut3 config to maximum possible and I'm using 800x600 but looks like my pc cant handle it.

I'm trying to optimize this laptop to UT so please guys I need your help :)

Edited by idro

I was wondering if its possible to overclock my acer 5920G CPU from 2.2 to 2.4 or higher?

Nope...

Anyone in here can overclock more than this with the same PC as I have?? Cuz every time I try to use higher clocks I get artefacts.

You shouldn't rely on others' results cause there is no 2 identical GPU's in the world (e.g. they're built on different pieces of silicon, every piece has slightly other heat resistance) , if someone manages to clock it higher it doesn't mean your GPU will work at the same frequency. When you see artifacts your GPU says DO NOT WANT! :)

What drivers will give me a better range of overclocking?

Do you mean you want to avoid artifacts or to unblock the zippers in application to let you overclock higher?

Best wishes :)

Nope...

You shouldn't rely on others' results cause there is no 2 identical GPU's in the world (e.g. they're built on different pieces of silicon, every piece has slightly other heat resistance) , if someone manages to clock it higher it doesn't mean your GPU will work at the same frequency. When you see artifacts your GPU says DO NOT WANT! :)

Do you mean you want to avoid artifacts or to unblock the zippers in application to let you overclock higher?

Best wishes :P

Ofcourse I want to avoid artifacts :)

I'm afraid it's impossible :)

I just don't understand why is so impossible to overclock my cpu..

GPU is the main component responsible for performance in games. Getting 1-2 fps (and that's what you'll most likely get with additional 200MHz) more isn't worth taking the risk of touching the processor, it's more sensitive than graphics and not mistake forgiving. You can easily fry it with a wrong setting, while GPU is usually only going to hang up and restart your system.

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

You can also reflash BIOS with higher frequencies if you have such option.

If you'll encounter overheating problems you can undervolt your core with RightMark CPU tool.

Do this all at your own risk.

• 1 month later...

I'd like add something here. UT3 has some problems with optimising GPU. It seems that UT3 uses the CPU to load data onto the GPU, and it uses the CPU too MUCH. But so far i have noticed it happens mainly under Vista x86/x64. UT3's performance seems fine on XP x86, so I'd suggest you change your OS. (Do a dual boot)