LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Clevo D901C with dual nvidia Geforce 9800M GT (but no SLI support)

Bilgediver

Howdy, first timer directed here from tech support. I purchased a Clevo laptop from Avadirect.com (anybody's experience with them?) a few months ago and purchased the machine above (the OEM of Alienware/Falconnorthwest/prostar/sager/PCTorque's top models).

Info is copied from the info I gave for my profile:

2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GT 512MB GDDR3

Mobile Graphics Card, SLI Configuration (working on driver support for SLI though)

INTEL, Core? 2 Extreme X6800 Dual-Core, 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm, 75W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail

KINGSTON, 4GB (2 x 2GB) ValueRAM PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM SODIMM, CL5, Non-ECC ;

3 X SEAGATE, 200GB Momentus 7200.2, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache, 2.5-Inch, SATA 3 Gb/s, w/ G-Force Protection, OEM

Dual-boot

MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM

MICROSOFT, Windows XP Professional Edition w/ SP3, OEM

I'll get my BIOS version and all that later when I'm actually back on my laptop.

Is there a way to get SLI driver support for the 9800M GT?

From the back and forth on Customer Support from the Avadirect website (who actually directed me here) - Names have been changed.

:)

Me:Another question, I'm attempting to run on battery and obviously it runs down the battery like a sailor drinks. I've attempted to turn SLI off to see if it will help and that function won't appear in the nvidia control panel like it should according to the manual from the CD. Is it because the driver for the 9800M isn't as complete as the 8800? (I noticed that the discs included include both the driver for the 9800 AND the 8800), and it will come out in another update?

Me:I attempted to see if there were driver updates for the 9800M GT graphics card and this is what I got (using their Autodetect) Why would the nvidia website recognize my machine as an Alienware? " NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT 175.97 Alienware requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site. You can find more information at: http://www.alienware.com/. The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's."

Them:Hello You, Nvidia's website only supports model GPU for alienware and that is why. You have to refer to www.pro-star.com to get the latest updated drivers for your video card. Try and update the drivers. Please let us know. Thank You

Me:I updated the drivers, and after a bit more snooping it doesn't look like the 9800M GT doesn't support SLI at all, just Hybrid-SLI (and only in Vista)?

Them:Hello You, Vista and mobile nvidia drivers do not have the support for SLI. There is a website you can go to that has modded current nvidia drivers and might have the option to SLI. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ Thank You

Screenshot from User Manual:

b2fe9c21804269.gif

Screenshot of actual nVidia Control Panel:

2368d221804433.gif

Notice there is no "SLI Mode" option under 3D settings (and yes I've looked under custom view to see if that option is even available)

Merry Christmas, btw.

Edited by Bilgediver