LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GTA IV - low performance on GTX 260

Guest void

Hello,

I have a little problem with the game GTA IV. I bought it a few days ago, but it doesn't work exactly as I supposed. When I ran the game for the first time, the default settings for my computer was: texture quality - high, rendering quality - high, view distance 32 (maximum is 100), detail distance 65 (max 100), shadows 10 (max 15). I ran the benchmark to check if i could play on the current settings. Average FPS was 37 so i thought - that's nice, i'm going to have fun and i started playing. Unfortunately, during the game, FPS is actually almost all time lower than 20, so the game isn't really playable (why does benchmark show average fps 37 if i didn't even see the similar number during the game).

So I set details to: medium/high, view distance 18, detail distance 40, shadows 0. This time benchmark gave result 47 fps, while in the game it still doesn't get higher than 34 fps (most of the time it is about 24-26). I don't know why do I get so low performance in the game. My computer is pretty good in my opinion, I have the latest drivers for my video card (180.48), I updated BIOS and drivers for the mainboard. I really can't find out where the the problem is.

Specification of my computer:

- Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2,33Ghz @ 3,00 GHz (overclocked)

- Video card: Asus ENGTX260

- 4 x 1GB DDR2 Patriot

- Chieftec 450W

Benchmark results:

Statistics
Average FPS: 37.86
Duration: 37.19 sec
CPU Usage: 97%
System memory usage: 65%
Video memory usage: 88%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1440 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 32
Detail Distance: 65

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium 
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU	 E6550  @ 2.33GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

Statistics
Average FPS: 47.62
Duration: 37.09 sec
CPU Usage: 94%
System memory usage: 55%
Video memory usage: 57%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1440 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 18
Detail Distance: 40

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium 
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU	 E6550  @ 2.33GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

An interesting thing is also that when i changed all settings to the lowest, fps value didn't increased much, i got about 8-10 fps more.

A few minutes ago I did 3D Mark Vantage test and I got 18350 points, 8445 GPU score.

If anybody knows how to solve this low-performance problem, please tell me.

The "high" texture and rendering settings are only for NEXT GEN graphics and yes, even the latest high end computers can barely run these, therefore I would suggest you use medium textures and medium rendering quality. You can try adding tweaking these commands and add them to the GTA IV Shortcut:

-shadowdensity 1 -renderquality 1 -viewdistance 22 -width 800 -height 500 -fullscreen -nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank -percentvidmem 100

My laptop is worse than yours and I still get decent frame rates (20-30 FPS is decent for me lol).

All in all, it is a badly optimized game.

Don't do what the guy above has suggested. 800x500 won't work and the other options either aren't suitable for you or at all.

Your card can handle the game better than he is suggesting, but I don't see that your spec as a whole is dealing with it any worse than you should expect from, as the previous poster correctly points out, "a badly optimized game".

This site is for laptops, and you would be better off comparing on sites such as gtaforums or guru3d, and look there for suitable tweaks (which are limited and very system specific). It's also worth optimizing your system as a whole, if you don't already.

The GTA4 benchmark does not represent ingame performance.

GTA IV is a poorly coded and optimized port that atleast runs... You can't even get past a certain point in Bully with more than 2GB of RAM...

Trust me, it is not your computer. For some proof, pop on down to the Steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337