LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GTA 4 on 8600M GS

Guest seclub

I have a 8600M GS with the lates 180.84.1 Dox optimized drivers and the game goes perfect for 10 mins, then goes super bad to 3-4 fps for about 30 sec, then goes good for a minute and then again bad and so on. My processor is Amd Turion64 dual core 2,1GHZ and I have 2 gigs ram. I have some suspicion it's overheating of the video card that's causing the problem because it goes to about 90 degrees while playing but it doesn't shut down or give a error message.

Any help will be appreciated.

Very probably a heat problem. Give a clean to the cooling system - compressed air or a vacuum cleaner with a tiny nozzle. A laptop cooler may help - or downclocking the video card if possible by speed reasons. My first solution was to raise the back of the lappie by about 4-5 cm, it helps a bit, too.

same happens to me ... and i agree that it is a heat problem ... although not with the GPU in fact its the CPU . i dont really know the solution to this problem , cuz my laptop is 3 months old and it cant be a dust issue ( but just to be sure i cleaned it out , didnt help ) . but you can try it . also you can try "downvolting" (not sure about the name :) ) your CPU . this might help , then again it might not . its all up to you. BUT , i ve also read a few posts and rewievs of the 8600M , that it has got overheating issues ... but if you never had this ( or very few times ) problem before i think it is the CPU. have in mind that GTA IV is a very CPU demanding game and can easily stress out your CPU .

Thx , Pistino01

but you can try it . also you can try "downvolting" (not sure about the name :) ) your CPU . this might help , then again it might not . its all up to you.

You can do this with RMClock.

If the GPU is reaching 90 degrees, then it'd be interesting to know what the CPU is getting to, to be able to try and draw any conclusions.

It would be useful to know any command line parameters you are using etc, and how large your virtual memory is preset, as the occasional slowdowns may be memory related.

Edited by Galdere

If the GPU is reaching 90 degrees, then it'd be interesting to know what the CPU is getting to, to be able to try and draw any conclusions.

It would be useful to know any command line parameters you are using etc, and how large your virtual memory is preset, as the occasional slowdowns may be memory related.

both CPU and GPU get to about 90 degrees, I have 2 gigs ram and the virtual memory is automatically controlled by windows and is currently 2346mb.

Guest Guest swe

I have the same problem on my Dell Vostro 1500(2GHzDuo, 2GbRam, 8600M GT 256Mb, Vista32)

This only happens in Gta4, and Ive played many demanding games before with no problems (Crysis, COD4 etc)

Memory problem or heat problem? I dont know.

both CPU and GPU get to about 90 degrees,

Mobile Turion's max temperature is probably 95 C, so it might be downclocking - I remember my earlier laptop downclocked at 78C already!

So both temps are too high really. As previous posters have said, it does look like your CPU would be an occasional downclocking culprit before the GPU is to blame in this case.

Also I'd also suggest making a custom size virtual memory file that is one and a half times your RAM size. Give your drive a full defrag, and maybe even disable the swap file, reboot and delete it, then defrag and set the new one up.

So both temps are too high really. As previous posters have said, it does look like your CPU would be an occasional downclocking culprit before the GPU is to blame in this case.

Also I'd also suggest making a custom size virtual memory file that is one and a half times your RAM size. Give your drive a full defrag, and maybe even disable the swap file, reboot and delete it, then defrag and set the new one up.

I set up the page file to 3100mb, made a defrag but still no change. And what should I do about my CPU?

You've several options, some mentioned above. Clean out the fans inside and the vents, reduce the voltage a little, buy a cooling stand etc. Research these options before undertaking them. The simplest and most obvious things should be considered first, like the surface you are using it on and any overclocking in place for example.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! And me, got same s*** problem my loppy goes up to 97 C :) , i'm usin 185.20 as it gives me more perfomance, but if i put 2 more gig of ram it resolve problem little bit i think, will see, but could anyone tell me is it safe or not playing for 2 hours with 94 c??

Guest MonkeyMhz

Wow, 90C+ thats hot, ive also noticed this with GTAIV. I thought it was only me but i guess other ppl experiance it too, cept my case isn't severe, and ive already UnderVolted my CPU ages ago, its probably one of the best things ive ever done, but anyways im reaching

78C-81C on CPU, which is extreamly high for me since I never see it ever go over 78C in any occasion, it even stays below 80c when rendering for 4++ hours, so I have no idea why GTAIV makes it go to 80C, ive just overlooked it for now. lol.

80-86C on GPU, which is also quite a bit since most games, ie.Crysis only reach about 81C Max after hours of gameplay.