LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Amilo Pi1556 and GF Go8600GT upgrade ?

Guest Amilo4ever

Guest Amilo4ever

Hello dear laptop gurus!

I decided to upgate my GF7600go to GF8600GT 512mt. I am waiting to card to arrive next week.

GF8600GT has Acer bios installed.

My Laptop is Amilo PI 1556.

Do I need to upgrate Amilos bios?

Is hardware upgrade without eny modification?

Hi,

Your Pi1556 should be compatible with 8600M.

I ordered a 8600M GS 512Mb a few weeks ago (blue pcb with acer bios) and it works like a charm :-)

It was just simple plug and play...

I did upgrade my amilo bios to 1.15 because last version of bios (1.25) has a crappy fan regulation: with 1.15 level 2 fan triggers at CPU=60° whereas 1.25 it was at 75°C...So my 8600m was clearly overheating.

It's way better now I have about 65° on idle and 85/90° on full load without notebookcooler.

Hope this will help.

Good luck with your upgrade

Guest Amilo4ever

Hello!

Card finally arrived. Bios is orginal 1.15 so I should ok?

I opend the Amilo and took old 7600 away. 8600gt was same size and fits like old 7600.

So I put everything back together.

Now when I start Amilo says on "beep" and no picture. I took 8600Gt away and installed it again to just to check but same error.

Shoud I use some other BIOS on Amilo? 8600GT has Acer bios installed according the Shop.

Please Help!

Hi,

Your Pi1556 should be compatible with 8600M.

I ordered a 8600M GS 512Mb a few weeks ago (blue pcb with acer bios) and it works like a charm :-)

It was just simple plug and play...

I did upgrade my amilo bios to 1.15 because last version of bios (1.25) has a crappy fan regulation: with 1.15 level 2 fan triggers at CPU=60° whereas 1.25 it was at 75°C...So my 8600m was clearly overheating.

It's way better now I have about 65° on idle and 85/90° on full load without notebookcooler.

Hope this will help.

Good luck with your upgrade

Hi,

Yes you should stick to bios 1.15 for fan efficiency.

Do not forget to put back on the card thermal pad (you can reuse the old ones even if it is not recommanded) and on the CPU thermal grease like AS5 or you could kill 'em when putting back the heatsink.

Have you closed your laptop back with all screws?

The one which is longer (K/ :) is mandatory for booting the laptop.

If you've done all this I don't really see why it wouldn't post.

Keep me updated.

Guest Amilo4ever
Hi,

Yes you should stick to bios 1.15 for fan efficiency.

Do not forget to put back on the card thermal pad (you can reuse the old ones even if it is not recommanded) and on the CPU thermal grease like AS5 or you could kill 'em when putting back the heatsink.

Have you closed your laptop back with all screws?

The one which is longer (K/ :) is mandatory for booting the laptop.

If you've done all this I don't really see why it wouldn't post.

Keep me updated.

No luck I have replaced vga cards now for 6 six times. Go7600 works Go8600GT don't work. I tried with several amilo bios and alienware 2.06.

All works the same. Long beep and fan doesn't start no picture on display. Power, AC are on and HDD led is active.

Macrecycling listed this Amilo as compatible with 8600GT so dared to purchace this card. Is this broken or just not comaptible??

Guest Patchogue Glenwood

That's strange because I ordered a 8600m GS from macrecycling as well and it worked perfectly: it was pure plug & play!

GT and GS are pretty much the same except that GT has 32 pipes and GS 16 only.

So I really don't understand it's very likely you have a dead card...

Check with macrecycling if they cover DOA warranty and ask them to proceed to an exhange or refund.

By the way my 8600m gs has blue PCB and acer BIOS.

Guest Amilo4ever
That's strange because I ordered a 8600m GS from macrecycling as well and it worked perfectly: it was pure plug & play!

GT and GS are pretty much the same except that GT has 32 pipes and GS 16 only.

So I really don't understand it's very likely you have a dead card...

Check with macrecycling if they cover DOA warranty and ask them to proceed to an exhange or refund.

By the way my 8600m gs has blue PCB and acer BIOS.

Yes this GT has olso Blue PCB. There is another case in this forum with Alienware 5550 and GF8600GT from Mac recycling and nogo result.

Perhaps there is wrong bios on 8600GT or it is just nogo with this Amilo.

How much faster is 8600gs vs Go7600 in this Amilo. I think I try to chance this 8600GT to 8600GS.

I wonder what another choise for my Amilo there is that works for sure??

Yeah I just read the case but it seems to be working fine right now...

That's odd you should ask him for advice as M5500 is pretty much the same lappy as Amilo.

8600M GS is better than the 7600 from the Pi1556 (which is downclocked compared to "normal" nvidia 7600Go due to DDR2 mem).

But still if you can keep the GT it's better than the GS.

The other card that has been tested and working on Amilos is the ATI HD 3650 but it has some weird issues one Core2 CPUs Amilo (Pi1536/1556/Xi1546...):

it doesn't "cold" boot --> means that you have to reset the lappy to make it post, so it's quite annoying but that's all.

I ordered a 9700M GT and I should have it next week. I will keep you updated if it works or not, but if it does, it's gonna be one hell of a laptop!

See ya

Guest Amilo4ever
Yeah I just read the case but it seems to be working fine right now...

That's odd you should ask him for advice as M5500 is pretty much the same lappy as Amilo.

8600M GS is better than the 7600 from the Pi1556 (which is downclocked compared to "normal" nvidia 7600Go due to DDR2 mem).

But still if you can keep the GT it's better than the GS.

The other card that has been tested and working on Amilos is the ATI HD 3650 but it has some weird issues one Core2 CPUs Amilo (Pi1536/1556/Xi1546...):

it doesn't "cold" boot --> means that you have to reset the lappy to make it post, so it's quite annoying but that's all.

I ordered a 9700M GT and I should have it next week. I will keep you updated if it works or not, but if it does, it's gonna be one hell of a laptop!

See ya

Yep! I think now that I have DOA 8600GT. I try to return it to Mac Recycling hopefully they will give a new card.

I really would like to know how 9700 works in this macnine keep me informed!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Amilo4ever

YEES!

Today I got replace for my GF8600M GT and it as just "plug and play".

I intalled drives from laptovideo2go version 185.10.

Only broblem is that this GF8600GT is slower in every test than my old GF7600Go ????

How can I check gpu temp and clock and mem speeds?

Guest big hair
YEES!

Today I got replace for my GF8600M GT and it as just "plug and play".

I intalled drives from laptovideo2go version 185.10.

Only broblem is that this GF8600GT is slower in every test than my old GF7600Go ????

How can I check gpu temp and clock and mem speeds?

Take gpu-z : http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ , or ATI tool, or RIVA Tuner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Guest Amilo4ever

Ok Core temp was high so I did a little modification to heatsink.

Now GPU is 66 °C and highest 89 °C.

I tested with 3Dmark03.

GF7600go scored 8245 points.

GF8600M GT scored 7163 points. I think point's should be over 9000 points???

Just for the record my HTCP has GF8600GT desktop and it scores over 14000 points with A64X2 4000+ processor (2ghz)

Hi,

download ATITOOL and Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) and check the frequencies of CPU and GPU.

Make sure that they both run at full speed when you lauch 3D mark.

Of course 8600m GT should be much faster than the old 7600Go: you should get at least 9500pts

Guest Amilo4Ever

GPU 512

Shader 950

Mem 399

Temp idle 63-69°C and one hour with "Call Of Duty world at war" max temp was 83 °C.

It seems to work now. Games run much smooter! 3mark05 scores 6641 wich is higher than GF7600 score.

3dmark03 still runs 7100-7300 points ???

But now I have stable and higher frame rate in games thats what counts.

Guest Amilo4Ever

More I play with this more i like it. Fonderfull machine now...

I just wish I could add more memory to this. I just downloaded Windows 7 beta and I am gonna put that and see how it works.

I wrote mail to fujitsu support and they told that 2 gb is max memory!?

More I play with this more i like it. Fonderfull machine now...

I just wish I could add more memory to this. I just downloaded Windows 7 beta and I am gonna put that and see how it works.

I wrote mail to fujitsu support and they told that 2 gb is max memory!?

You must to use Alienware 1.19w BIOS, but this version is NOT compatible with 8600 GT. I don't know realy :)

Edited by shark300

Guest Amilo4Ever

I bought a new hard disk WD 320gb 7200rpm. I installed Windows 7 Beta to it and it works like a dream.

Even 3Dmark03 score is now ok 10130 points.

Windows 7 installed drivers for 8600m GT automatically. So far everything is ok.

I bought Company Of Heroes Opposing Forces and it is wery well playable with high settings. DX10 enabled no chance though.

I am very happy with this 8600m GT upgrade.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aminotronic

Hello,

I need your help please my graphics card died yesterday :)

I have amilo pi 1556 + geforce go 7600

I would like to replace it with the 8600 GT or any other working option.

please tell me the steps (detailed if possible) , for the selling site, the replacement operation (removing heat sink ,and so on ..) , and which bios version should I use ? I have 1.26 from fujistu-siemens site

Amilo4Ever please send me your working configuration.

Appreciating any working/tested advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Amilo4Ever
Hello,

I need your help please my graphics card died yesterday :)

I have amilo pi 1556 + geforce go 7600

I would like to replace it with the 8600 GT or any other working option.

please tell me the steps (detailed if possible) , for the selling site, the replacement operation (removing heat sink ,and so on ..) , and which bios version should I use ? I have 1.26 from fujistu-siemens site

Amilo4Ever please send me your working configuration.

Appreciating any working/tested advice.

I bought the card here :

http://mac.macrecycling.com/nvidia-geforce...d-p-101356.html

It took about a week for Card to arrived here in Germany.

So I removed AC cord and battery from Amilo.

Openend the back cover.

Take Heat sink away.

Take GF7600 away.

Put new GF8600m in.

Etc...

Better explain here.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html

I am using windows 7 and it works fine.

• 6 months later...
Guest king_Arthas

I install this card My linkon my Amilo xi 1526

Because of this http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=38104

I tried FSC bios 1.20, 1.25, 1.26, 1.27, Alienware 1.19 and 2.06 in all the cases GPU stay in range of 80C when idle on XP and more on VISTA . Obviously only CPU temp cause fan speed changes.

Previously i notice with my go7600 that fun running always faster under XP. But now i can not find the combination of bios and intel inf tool "Chipset Mobile Intel" that causing fan to run at higher rpm.

Amilo is very quite as always, and fan running mostly on low speed, or not at all.

Guest king_Arthas

I install this card http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290349894053&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 on my Amilo xi 1526

Because of this http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=38104

I tried FSC bios 1.20, 1.25, 1.26, 1.27, Alienware 1.19 and 2.06 in all the cases GPU stay in range of 80C when idle on XP and more on VISTA . Obviously only CPU temp cause fan speed changes.

Previously i notice with my go7600 that fun running always faster under XP. But now i can not find the combination of bios and intel inf tool "Chipset Mobile Intel" that causing fan to run at higher rpm.

Amilo is very quite as always, and fan running mostly on low speed, or not at all.

Hello there guys,

To make the story short, Dead 7600 bought and replaced with 8600m GT (512mb)

now Im not sure whats wrong as my system boots up fine and windows load up and every thing but sadly, the laptop Doesnt seem to recognize the new card and in device manager I keep getting "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter" rather than the Card :) I dled the new Drivers and load up the setup and every thing but the setup would say theres nothing compatible to be found or some thing like that.

My current system is a Rock Pegasus 665 which is a Uniwill P53IN or just an identical clone of Alienware m5550. I even downgraded my BIOS from V2.10 (v2.10 was supplied by Rock to help with the heat issues I had in early days) to the Alienware V2.06 but Still same problem Windows load up but no sign of the new card.

Please Help me, I looked all over the net (google :P) there alot of people out there who attempted this upgrade but all either failed at the start (beeps and blank screens) or got it some how working but me on other hand... not sure whats going on :)

Okay, problem solved

It didnt have any thing to do with bios at all it was the fact i been trying to install the wrong drivers which i downloaded from the Nvidia website (FAILLLLLLLL!) and the fact those drives had no idea what my card was. So i just went and tried the 1st set of drivers i could fine ( 177.66) and it just worked just fine :)

Now I just need to solve the heat problem some how :)

so yeah 8600m GT 512mb (G84M) is working on the Uniwill P53IN clones just fine but really hot.