LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sony VAIO and OpenGL in Photoshop

Guest maestrodellatorre

Guest maestrodellatorre

Hi all,

I've been lurking a little before posting, and what it came out was that when you install a new modded inf driver some of the features (such as brightness control in the sony via fn key, even though I've seen there's a fix for it) may disappear or not work as expected.

I don't need a super fast super optimized driver for gaming, I only use this pc for working + viewing full hd video + photoshop cs4.

I cannot play full hd movie using hw acceleration, and photoshop does not recognize my card so I cannot use opengl. This is quite strange given that I can run googleearth in opengl mode (maybe it's a sw emulated version? I don't know...).

Anyway, I'm looking for the most stable solution compatible with my sony vaio VGN-SZ71E/B, without losing any feature (the brightness control, the stamina-speed switch that is most useful), BUT I'd like to play hd movie using my 8400m gs acceleration AND would like to use opengl in Photoshop.

I run windows vista sp1.

Actual driver info:

Driver date is 11/05/2007

Driver version is 7.15.11.128 (don't know which is the equivalent in the 17x or whatever numeration system).

I cannot upload the result of the nerd given that it says that it's a 6MB file, even though it's less than 500K. If you need it I can add the result as "code".

Thanks for your help

Couldn't find Sony special drivers. In 177.85 is original_inf(s)zip, which contains nvsz.inf, which should be for Sony mobile cards and it seems to include your card. Worth trying, extract that inf and replace the original nvac.inf with it.

Guest maestrodellatorre

Tnx for your reply.

I'd like to avoid starting messing with the drivers unless I have no more options.

Given that sony users are reporting several problems, and given that many users reported that cannot roll back to the original driver, I'd be more than happy to hear that *at least* one user with my machine had no problem at all (I mean that *everything* worked) and how he did it. Apparently a simple .inf substitution is not enough :)

That driver is NVidia OEM driver, meant for all kinds of OEM manufacturers and that inf is special for Sony laptops - but can't say for which models.

Guest maestrodellatorre
That driver is NVidia OEM driver, meant for all kinds of OEM manufacturers and that inf is special for Sony laptops - but can't say for which models.

this is very interesting...

any clue why my inf is named "oem2.inf", while this one has a different name?

BTW I called Sony and obviously the supreme idiot of the customer service just told me "if there's no update in vaio update, there's no update at all"...in loop!

He couldn't even tell me if the driver I've got installed support opengl 2.0 and shader model 3.0 which are the 2 features requested by photoshop cs4 to enable opengl. Do you know where I can find what a driver support?

Tnx a lot for your help!

hi, can anyone tell me the download location for the original sony nvidia 177.85 vista driver with MS certified nvsz.cat?

The driver from laptopvideo2go has the original nvsz.inf but no certified nvsz.cat. I think the original 177.85 driver is from the ftp server from sony, but I cannot find it. The latest version I can find is 167.60 for vista on ftp sony.

thanks