LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX 550 - GeForce Drivers?

dmehak

I have a Dell Precision 390 Workstation, with a 128MB Quadro FX 550 in it. I?ve used it in the past to play Call Of Duty 4 (not with the greatest results, but at least playable), and recently installed Call Of Duty 5. My frame rates were averaging around 16 or 17, and dropping as low as 2 or 3 (CoD4 was running around 30-40).

Will installing the GeForce drivers for my Quadro card help my situation?

Originally I was looking into buying a GeForce card, and installing it alongside my Quadro card in the same machine (to have the best of both worlds for CAD and gaming) before I discovered that running GeForce drivers for my Quadro was even possible.

Any suggestions?

Will installing the GeForce drivers for my Quadro card help my situation?

Depends, how old are your recent drivers?

For example 178.26 is a quadro driver and overall a good benchmarker.

Sorry for the delay of the follow up to this.

The card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 550, and the current driver version is 6.14.11.7846.

Not sure if it's going to be possible to get any more gaming performance out of it, especially considering the fact that it has 128 MB of memory, and the minimum system requirements for CoD5 is 256 MB.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

185.20 might give a bit more fps - but just a little; it was faster in all benchmarks than 178.46.

So it looks like my bigger problem is only having half of the minimum required video memory the game requires, which means I need a new video card...

Does anyone know if it's possible to install a Quadro card and a GeForce card in one machine?

I was thinking I could plug the DVI-D cable into the Quadro card, and the VGA cable into the GeForce card, than have them both hooked up to one monitor. That way when I want to do some gaming, I can change the input on the monitor over to the GeForce input. I'm wondering if this might require a restart to achieve?

Not sure what the process would be to switch between two different video cards installed in one machine...

Any thoughts?