LaptopVideo2Go Forums

vista 62bit vs vista32bit

bluewolf

I have been investigating for 4 days if vista 64 bit with 64 bit cpu changes someting significantly.

but topics usually was old which says is there any 64 bit drivers.As we know we have theese drivers for know.

I am especially asking to vista 64 bit users

Did you notice any significant improvement in games and daily process(ie. autocad, photoshop etc)

:) especially diffrence in benchmark

I got asus g2s

core2duo t7500 2.2ghz,3gb ddr2 667mhz ram,256 mb 8600m gt(1500mb can be shared),vista 32 bit

If there is impressive result I can upgrade my systm ram to 4gb and also 64 bit

Thanks for everything laptopvideo2go

Going from 32- to 64-bit Vista, you will not notice a significant performance increase in most applications. However, you will not see a decrease either. However, some applications, such as 64-bit applications and even some 32-bit applications that use lots of RAM, will benefit from the extra memory. There are also certain programs, such as 7zip, that benefit tremendously from having a 64-bit processor and OS. When compressing/decompressing some files, it is nearly twice as fast as the 32-bit version. As for drivers, you will need special drivers for 64-bit. However, these are normally not very hard to find, especially for Intel systems like yours.

There is only one pitfall to using 64-bit Windows. This is that 16-bit applications will not run, because x64 versions of Windows to not have NTVDM. Most people no longer use such old applications, but some still do. If you have 16-bit applications that cannot be replaced with 32- or 64-bit versions, then do not upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Despite the lack of support for 16-bit programs, a great majority of 32-bit programs run without a problem in 64-bit Windows.

Overall, I would recommend a 64-bit OS to most people.

Going from 32- to 64-bit Vista, you will not notice a significant performance increase in most applications. However, you will not see a decrease either. However, some applications, such as 64-bit applications and even some 32-bit applications that use lots of RAM, will benefit from the extra memory. There are also certain programs, such as 7zip, that benefit tremendously from having a 64-bit processor and OS. When compressing/decompressing some files, it is nearly twice as fast as the 32-bit version. As for drivers, you will need special drivers for 64-bit. However, these are normally not very hard to find, especially for Intel systems like yours.

There is only one pitfall to using 64-bit Windows. This is that 16-bit applications will not run, because x64 versions of Windows to not have NTVDM. Most people no longer use such old applications, but some still do. If you have 16-bit applications that cannot be replaced with 32- or 64-bit versions, then do not upgrade to a 64-bit OS. Despite the lack of support for 16-bit programs, a great majority of 32-bit programs run without a problem in 64-bit Windows.

Thanks men its clear :)

but I am still wondering about game benchs.Techniccally there must be great diffrence in cpu performance but you know ,theory and reality have diffrence.

Vista x64 is even faster than XP x86... so you do the math. You have no reason to choose x86 over x64. And if it is Windows 7 x64... even better. :)

I'm sorry that I don't have a link to post, I published the review in PC Magazine about an year ago...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread, since I'm going to change my Vista Home Premium 32bit to Vista Ultimate 64bit soon enough.

You can run 16-bit apps using 32-bit emulators just so you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for this thread, since I'm going to change my Vista Home Premium 32bit to Vista Ultimate 64bit soon enough.

MS has a deal where you just pay the shipping to change from 32bit to 64 bit if you have a legit copy.

Or you just use the torrents to get a MSDN copy of VISTA, no need to wait for the shipped disc from Microsoft (who costs about 10-30 dollars, just for the shipping - of course, that depends on your location).