LaptopVideo2Go Forums

185.20 the succesor of 169.04

reiluke

guys,

i have some great news

we all know that on certain laptop models with 84xx/86xx series, when you try to overclock via rivatuner, it resets back to default settings other than 169.04

my laptop is acer 4520G

i have just tried 185.20 link with the modified drivers

overclocking works! :P verified via gpuz

i hope more release with this same type of driver!

w00T :) :) no more bios flashing/ 169.04 stability check

i tried deadspace/pop4/fallout3 no errors, temp lower too compared to 180.x, but the best thing is i can overclock with rivatuner, im playing with shader and mem without raising temp (ntune doesnt work)

a3y.png

no bad flash risk!

Edited by reiluke

yeah way better than year old 169.04, i dont have any complains with performance and stability,

for those with 8xxx chip this is a dream come true. i dont have test data but my temp is 3-4c lower

for those with 84xx/86xx test this on your machine

Unbelievable!

After months of waiting it finaly works!!! :)

I'v got a Sony Vaio and it was not possible to do the low level overclocking, due to the integrated bios, but now it works!

Overclocking like hell and the temperature stays low....... superb!

gpuzvg6.th.jpg

rivatuneryq6.th.jpg

good luck to all others!

Edited by Ultimaratio

Overclocking is working fine with my 8600M GT, OCed to 585/485 (def=475/400) without problems :)

The 3DMark06 score is lower with these driver by default, but it doesn't affect the games perfmance

But one strange thing appeared : SM2.0 score is lower than the SM3.0 one :) (with oc : SM2=1332 , SM3=1853)

Bug in 3DMark06 or Nvidia's new driver writing?

Edited by gtnrkt

i can confirm also... my Acer with the 185.20 installed allow me overclock my gpu 9300m G...

As performance i dont like so much this driver (talking about game performance) so im back with the new 179.24 Acer way better for games, not so much in benchmarks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Folks

This is a trully great news. I've already given up on testing new drivers months ago. I did some extensive testing myself back in early 08 and tweaked my 169.04 to max stable overclocking settings. But now I cant wait to get home from work and try these new drivers and their performance...

BTW before I start testign ive seen bunch of drivers flying around 181.20, 185.20 and then some tweaked ones by dox etc... Should I be looking for some in particullar ?

Thanks in advance

Will post how drivers work and related temperature, overclocking, fps stats later tonight ...

:) for nVidia

Ok here are the results !!!

So i went straight for DOX's Optimizes 185.20 and selected "Performance Option" during install. Everything went fine I rebooted and yay, now I can overclock again with new drivers. Here are some images. BTW tested Left 4 Dead immense increase in FPS, smoother gameplay in FarCry2 and Crysis Warhead !

First 3dMark06 (Overclocked 460M/680C) - went up by over 200 points since 196.04:

4606801582ka8.jpg

Vista Performance Index (Aero up by almost a point & 3D Gaming up by 0.1):

indexed5.jpg

Hope these results help !!!

Edited by ^nox

• 1 month later...

This is great news indeed.

I myself have been using DOX's customized 182.05 drivers for Vista SP1 32Bit, and it's even faster than the 185.20 drivers from DOX himself.

Could someone take the time to make a thread/sticky regarding overclockable drivers for bios-locked notebooks?

So far, we have the old, but long-time overclocking sidekick, the 169.04 drivers.

Then, we jump to 185.20, followed by 182.05 (newer than 185.20 based on release date).

So what we have, as OC'able drivers, are :

These ALL technically work on BIOS-locked GPUs. I know there are more 18x.xx series drivers by DOX that also bypass the BIOS-lock.

Could someone make a sticky?

• 9 months later...

guys,

i have some great news

we all know that on certain laptop models with 84xx/86xx series, when you try to overclock via rivatuner, it resets back to default settings other than 169.04

my laptop is acer 4520G

i have just tried 185.20 link with the modified drivers

overclocking works! :P verified via gpuz

i hope more release with this same type of driver!

w00T :) :) no more bios flashing/ 169.04 stability check

is ur laptop preinstalled w/ vista?