LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking = guaranteed random downclocking

Guest Guest

I have an inspiron 1520, C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 8600m GT, currently using 179.28 drivers. I noticed that whenever I OC my card, it downclocks after an hour or two of gaming, sometimes even less than that. At stock clocks, even after 3 hours, no problems but if I increase core and memory clock speeds even just by 5 mhz each, it'll downclock. From what I have observed, the amount of OCing I do doesn't affect the time it takes before it downclocks, it's completely random. With the 174.12 driver, I can OC up to 630/430 from 475/400 with no problems/aritfacts. Any idea how to fix this without having to roll back my drivers, they perform very poorly with new games.

i think you should try the new 185.20 driver, i use it on my 8600m gs and i can oc it

theres no need for the modded because your card is supported natively

This phenomenon meets many holders of laptops and me also, I hope that someone will develop this issue further!

:) :) :P

Guest david guest
I don't see how adding an additional 5mhz will cause overheating when things are running fine at stock clocks

you're probably right but give your GPU fans a good clean - it is time consuming but my max temp dropped by 20% and fans now nice and quiet.

i can now run an extra 100mhz on my gpu at lower temps than before with no overclocking.

also change your drivers and update your chipset to the latest version links all on lv2go homepage.

you're probably right but give your GPU fans a good clean - it is time consuming but my max temp dropped by 20% and fans now nice and quiet.

i can now run an extra 100mhz on my gpu at lower temps than before with no overclocking.

also change your drivers and update your chipset to the latest version links all on lv2go homepage.

I just looked at it from the underside of my laptop, it's clean. If I wanted to clean it though all I'd have to do is blow air to the fan intake right?

you could possibly have one of the many defective 8600M GT's like i had, twice. i had this same exact problem, and dell replaced my motherboard/fan/heatsinks three times until they fixed the problem. the problem wasnt dust or anything, the card was defective and got WAY to hot. use GPU-Z to monitor temps in game.

now my 8600M GT (GDDR3 of course :) ) overclocks to 660/1030/1320 with ease, temps never going above 82c.

I really don't think it's a temp issue. Even if it works fine at stock clocks, I tried to downclock it by 5mhz just to see if even that can cause problems, and well, it did. After around an hour of playing, another random downclock.