LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems with powermizer function on GeForce Go 7400 in Samsung X11 laptop

Ole

Hello,

after I updated my system BIOS to the newest version (22XI) I have to following problem with my graphic card:

With the original Samsung driver (83.9) I got a black screen instead of the Windows logon screen, so I removed the driver and tried various drivers from this site. The one that appearently worked best was the newest one 181.00. But even with those drivers the system crashed after a short while or after trying to play a video file with colorful lines on the screen and after that ablack screen or unreadible blue screen (see attached photo).

The only solutions to this problem was either to turn of hardware graphic acceleration to the third lowest level (all Direct 3D etc. disabled) or to turn off the Powermizer function in the nVidia settings.

I tried the newest 185.20 driver but it did not work with my card.

I have attached my NERD.log files and posted all my relevant system details in my profile.

Does anyone know a driver that supports both graphic accelaration and power saving functions on the GeForce Go 7400 with the video BIOS 5.72.22.55.00?

Thank you for your help!

post-34899-1231024782_thumb.jpg

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

LaptopVideo2Go_RegInfo.txt

Edited by Ole

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ole!

I also have a Samsung laptop with the same Bios version like you.

The latest video driver version offered by Samunsg was 83.10 so I just updated to 180.70 and everything's still working.

When I look at your screenshot, it looks more like a faulty graphic card. But I'm no expert.

Did the problems really first appear after the Bios update?

Kind regards

Hello,

the problem started right after I updated my BIOS: Before that everything was working fine, after the BIOS update I got a black screen after Windows booted. After some trying around I restarted in safe mode, deinstalled the Samsung video drivers (83.10) and tried numerous alternative drivers.

Some of them worked quite good but none supported the powermizer function.

At the Samsung Hotline they just told me to reinstall my windows and install Windows XP SP3 which I did but didn't help.

Which OS are you using? XP (with SP3?) or Vista?

Best regards,

Ole

Hello,

that's very strange.

I also updated my laptop to the same Bios (already some time ago) and didn't had any issues.

Now I just wanted to try new drivers and updated to 180.70.

The last status I posted isn't correct anymore. Since the driver update I sometimes have the problem that after several minutes inactivity the display turns black and I can't do anything.

I think I'll revert back to 83.10 again or change another driver.

But this isn't any help for you.

I'm using WinXP SP3. You can see the rest in my profile.

Did you already try a Linux version?

I also have Ubuntu installed (Wubi-installation) and the laptop's hardware is properly recognized.

You could test that way if you only have a driver problem.

Good luck & kind regards!

Hi,

I've the same problems and I've already a solution. Here is my german E-Mail to Samsung-support. The google-translation is also attached:

Sehr geehrtes Samsungteam,

bei der X11-Serie ist ein Systemabsturz mit bunt-gestreiftem Monitor ein weit verbreitetes Problem (Quelle: Diverse Foren mit vielen Beiträgen). So auch bei mir.

Nach eigenen Versuchen ist dieses reproduzierbar mit der Bios Version 20XI und 22XI in Verbindung mit einem Nvidia-Grafiktreiber mit aktivierten Stromsparmechanismen (Powermizer). Als Workaround ist die Verwendung eines selbigen ohne diese Funktion zu empfehlen, da ein Bios-Downgrade nicht ohne weiteres möglich ist.

Dieses Problem tritt also NICHT auf bei Verwendung der Bios-Version 10XI und früher oder bei Verwendung eines Grafiktreibers ohne Stromsparmechanismen.

Da meine Gerätegarantie eh abgelaufen ist, habe ich mich die Mühe gemacht, mich tiefer mit diesem Problem zu beschäftigen. Hierzu testete ich die Bios-Versionen 10XI, 20XI und 22XI und verglich die damit verbundenen Grafikfirmwares:

10XI: Powermizer ohne Probleme nutzbar; unter XP Displayhelligkeit einstellbar; unter Vista nicht.

20XI und 22XI: Systemabsturz mit bunten Streifen bei Einsatz des Powermizers; Displayhelligkeit einstellbar.

Da das Bild des Absturzes an einen zu hoch übertakteten Grafikchip hindeuteten, verglich ich die Taktraten mit ihren Spannungen.

Grafikbios:

20XI/22XI (Grafikbios 05.72.22.55.00):

- 3D-Takt 450 Chip - 450 Speicher

- Takt gedrosselt 200 - 300

- 2D-Takt 200-300

(siehe 22xi.jpg)

10XI (Grafikbios 05.72.22.36.00):

- 3D-Takt 450 Chip - 450 Speicher

- Takt gedrosselt 200 - 300

- 2D-Takt 100-100

(siehe 10xi.jpg)

Ursache des Problems:

- zu hohe Taktrate des gedrosselten Modus führt zum Absturz!

Lösung:

Grafikbios mit verminderten Taktraten der 10XI-Version

Leider lässt sich der Grafikchip im Samsung-Notebook nicht durch das NVFLASH-Tool unabhängig des Systembios aktualisieren.

Ich hoffe, dass es Ihnen möglich ist, nach dieser stundenlangen Vorarbeit, doch noch ein langerwartetes Update für mein Notebook zu veröffentlichen.

Dieses müsste in der einfachsten Form nur die Systemfirmware der Version 22XI mit der Grafikfirmware der Version 10XI verbinden.

Ich hoffe, dass dies durch meine Problemlösung schnell passiert, damit mein Notebook endlich wieder die Stromsparfunktionen des Grafikchips nutzen kann und dadurch die Geräuschemission wieder auf ein gewohnt gutes Maß abgesenkt wird.

In der Hoffnung baldigst positiv von Ihnen zu hören, verbleibe ich

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Google-Translation:

Dear Team,

in the X11 series is a system crash with colorfully-striped Monitor is a widespread problem (Source: Various forums with many contributors). So even with me.

According to their own experiments, this reproducible with the bios version 20XI and 22XI in conjunction with a Nvidia graphics driver enabled for power mechanisms (Powermizer). The workaround is to use the same without this feature is recommended, since a bios downgrade not readily possible.

This problem is NOT to use the Bios version 10XI and sooner or when using a video driver without power-saving mechanisms.

Since my equipment warranty has expired anyway, I made the effort to me deeper into this issue more deeply. I tested this bios versions 10XI, 20XI and 22XI and compared the associated graphics firmwares:

10XI: Powermizer usable without problems; under XP Display brightness adjustable; not under Vista.

20XI and 22XI: System crash with colorful stripes for use with Powermizers; Display brightness adjustable.

Since the image of the crash to a too high overclocked indicated the graphics chip, I compared the speeds with their tension.

Grafikbios:

20XI/22XI (Grafikbios 05.72.22.55.00):

- 3D-stroke 450 chip - 450 memory

- Clock throttled 200 - 300

- 2D-stroke 200-300

(see 22xi.jpg)

10XI (Grafikbios 05.72.22.36.00):

- 3D-stroke 450 chip - 450 memory

- Clock throttled 200 - 300

- 2D-stroke 100-100

(see 10xi.jpg)

Cause of the problem:

- Too high a clock rate of the derated mode leads to crash!

Solution:

Grafikbios with reduced rates of stroke 10XI version

Unfortunately, the graphics chip in the Samsung notebook NVFLASH not by the tool, regardless of Systembios update.

I hope that you are able, after long hours of these efforts, but still a long awaited update for my notebook to publish.

This should be defined in the simplest form only the system firmware version 22XI with the graphics firmware version 10XI connect.

I hope that through my problem-solving happens quickly, so my laptop finally return to the energy-saving features of the adapters can be used and thus the noise is back to its usual good measure lowered.

In the hope of a positive as soon as possible to hear from you, I remain

Yours sincerely,

Thanks atiman for the info! Did you get any response from Samsung?

It's strange that I've never had such problems after upgrading to the latest Bios 22XI.

But I only could use the old graphic drivers (83.10) from Samsung.

Now, after playing around with different drivers, I modded myself the .inf file and successfully installed drivers 180.70 without any problems until now.

You can try the attached .inf file with drivers 180.70. Maybe it helps.

Regards

nv4_disp.inf

Thanks atiman for the info! Did you get any response from Samsung?

It's strange that I've never had such problems after upgrading to the latest Bios 22XI.

But I only could use the old graphic drivers (83.10) from Samsung.

Now, after playing around with different drivers, I modded myself the .inf file and successfully installed drivers 180.70 without any problems until now.

You can try the attached .inf file with drivers 180.70. Maybe it helps.

Regards

Hi,

samsung didn't anwser so far. I also use almost all new drivers. But you have to check, if it is installed without activated powermizer.

Does it work for you? Canyou check with the sensor-tab of gpu-z if your chip clocks down after some seconds?

Regards

Oh jeez! You're right although powermizer is enabled it's not working as it should. The clock stays at 450 MHz and 900Mhz.

Here's a sreenshot:

es2.png

Edit: I could activate the Powermizer function with the tool PowerMizer Switch and now the clocks throttle down.

See:

1234397541.png

Let's see if problem occur.

Edited by The Lost One

Hmm,

you possibly have a "good" vga chip, which can handle the higher clock rates with the lower voltage of the throttle energy state.

Others possibly cannot handle these rates and crash with the colorful lines.

Nevertheless I'll test the 18070 driver with your inf this evening.

Let's see.....

Well, I got an answer from Samsung. They don't seem to like their customers:

Guten Tag Herr XY,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Wir bedanken uns herzlichst fuer Ihre Meinung zu unseren Produkten und

Services. Die Meinung unserer Kunden ist uns aeusserst wichtig, denn nur

durch diese ist es uns moeglich unsere hohen Qualitaetsstandarts

beizubehalten.

Google-Translation:

Good day Mr. XY,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We thank you sincerely for your opinion on our products and

Services. The opinions of our customers is very important to us, because only

this enables us to meet our high quality standards

maintain.

That was all. From my point of view a realy disappointing answer.

I also tested the driver 180.70: Same colorful lines with powermizer enabled.

Nethertheless I found a solution that should work for all driver versions!

1a) Install driver with customized inf (powermizer disabled)

or

1b) Install driver with powermizer enabled. DO NOT reboot system!

Put a video file or a shortcur on your desktop!

2) Restart system.

3) If 1b) was used, start the video file as soon as you see your desktop (timing is everything!)

This prevents the gpu from clocking down.

Use the Powermizer Switch.exe to disable powermizer

4) Install Rivatuner and change the clock frequencies of the performance states "standard 2D" and "throttled 3D"

You can downclock the chip as you like (e.g. 150 Mhz) and OVERCLOCK the VGA MEM from 600 to 650 Mhz.

Check if these clocks will be used at windows startup!

5) Reboot System

6) Enable powermizer with powermizer switch

7) Reboot system and save energy =) You can check the clock rates with the sensors tab of gpu-Z

Hope that will help some people!

Greetings from Germany

atiman

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the modified inf from me also isn't working correct so I uninstalled it.

I was now testing the latest Nvidia Beta driver for Notebooks: 179.48

Again I also have problems. When inactive for some time I get an BSOD (nv4_disp STOP: 0x000000EA) or the laptop freezes.

I followed now your detailled instructions, but unfortunately without success.

Anyway, thanks for telling us. I hope it helps others.

For now I will revert back to the old 8.3.1.0 driver from Samsung and hope that Nvidia will release a working version.

I also provided feedback on Nvidias site. Maybe it helps when more people do this.

Hello atiman,

thank you for all your effords. I tried your workaround but unfortunatly it didn't work for me: I wasn't able to change the low power 3D states in Rivatuner, I could only change the 2D ones and the performance 3D ones. I tried with the forceware driver 180.70 and with the Dox customzed drivers versions 180.84 and 182.05, but in neither of those I could change the low power 3D settings, neither with powermizer on or off (can be turned on/off in the NVIDEA control panel).

Is there anything special I have to do to be able to change the low power setting?

Playing around with different core clock and memory clock settings I noticed that I get those colourful-stripes display glitches whenever the 3D core clock drops under ca. 300 MHz, but in 2D mode everything is OK even if I set the clock to 100 MHz. Sometimes the system just gets unstable and I get a black screen every few seconds but the system doesn't really crash but often it crashes totally.

If you or anyone else has anymore advice on this issue an answer would be more than welcome, also in German by private message as there are sappearently some more Germans having problems with this laptop.

I would really like to find a solution to this problem because with the 3D clock always high my battery only lasts about 30 min.

Unfortunatly the Samsung service on the phone is just as unhelpful as in your e-mail, but I guess I'll just have to call them again and insist that they take in my laptop and change the graphic chip. After all I am still im warranty time because I bough the extended warranty together with my laptop.

I just hope that this doesn't take too long because I need my laptop for a longer journey next month.

Nethertheless I found a solution that should work for all driver versions!

1a) Install driver with customized inf (powermizer disabled)

or

1b) Install driver with powermizer enabled. DO NOT reboot system!

Put a video file or a shortcur on your desktop!

2) Restart system.

3) If 1b) was used, start the video file as soon as you see your desktop (timing is everything!)

This prevents the gpu from clocking down.

Use the Powermizer Switch.exe to disable powermizer

4) Install Rivatuner and change the clock frequencies of the performance states "standard 2D" and "throttled 3D"

You can downclock the chip as you like (e.g. 150 Mhz) and OVERCLOCK the VGA MEM from 600 to 650 Mhz.

Check if these clocks will be used at windows startup!

5) Reboot System

6) Enable powermizer with powermizer switch

7) Reboot system and save energy =) You can check the clock rates with the sensors tab of gpu-Z

Hope that will help some people!

Guest atiman

Hello Ole,

the low power 3D and standard 2D settings are normally linked in rivatuner, but this can be changed in the expert settings.

Nethertheless you dont have to change that. Give both of them the 200/650 Mhz settings (with this rates my model works).

So change the 2d settings and the low power 3d setting should be changed to the same rates by itself.

The global powermizer setting can be changed with the powermizer switch, which can be found here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21782

Greetings

atiman

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Atiman,

thank you, but I didn't really get the Riva Tuner settings to work, so I decided to call at Samsung and send my laptop in for repair as it still has warranty. Fortunatly I bought the two years warranty extension as I have had problem with my laptop before which died just after two years.

Now, two weeks later I got it back, they changed the graphic card and now everything works fine with the original Samsung driver 83.10.

I haven't tried the alternative drivers yet though.

Thank you all for your help, but it seems like Samsung used some partly faulty graphic chips in their X11 laptops.

Greetings, Ole

Nice to hear that you solved your problem!

I suggest you stay now with the old drivers if you don't need to play games.

I'm afraid newer versions won't work for you either.

Kind regards

• 2 months later...
Guest ManX

Hi to all!

I had the same problem after upgrading BIOS. But the problems of screen happens from time to time, most often - when I switch of and again swich on cable 220W. I don't know the reasons of this problems> May be it's also a result of a broken Video card. I don't know. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Anonye tried the 8.6.2.8 drivers from Samsung? They seem to be a bit newer.

You can download them at R65 Samsung's Download-Center.