LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Mobile Nvidia 40nm GPUs

Dox

VR_Zone has revealed the line up of this years Nvidia mobile chips.

The new parts will be GT1xx and GT2xx with GTX, GTS, GT variants etc.

The GT1xx family with be based on the current G92 65nm core which a die shrunk to a smaller 55nm.

So a 9800MGTX for example will be rebranded GTX180M. These will be released in the first half of this year.

The highend GT2xx series will be based on on the GT 212 (enthuisatst range), while the other will be GT216 (performance range) and GT218 (mainstream range).

So expect the GTX280M or similar with this die shrunk. These will be released in the second half of this year.

I expect the performance of the GTX280M to be between the desktop GTX260 and GTX280.

Source

That's a good news for notebook users :) but by then nvidia would release gtx 3xx or 4xx gpus for desktop. :)

Edited by nikechristo

Yes, this will be interesting to follow. I wonder how notebook prices will change as well.

Yes, this will be interesting to follow. I wonder how notebook prices will change as well.

Considering the 9800M is already out out in laptops, more powerful cards are going to come out for laptops. If nVidia doesn't eventually follow the same path (albeit always slower) as the desktops, they would have to custom design the GPU's from scratch or reference them off of 9000 series (don't forget market them.) The Desktop path was with the 260/280 and they beat the 9000 series hands down and are definitely agreed that they are the 9000 series sucessors. Its only logical that they would bring the technology to laptops. Since the price of the 260/280 is not earth shattering (it is) compared to other top of the line cards when they were released, I think this will have next to 0% difference in pricing, at least in the US markets. There will propably be a low end 220, a medium range 260, and the highend 280. There might even be a 295 (two gpus on one board). The 220 - 260 will be found in 15" Laptops and will probably be around the 1000-1500$ price range depending on other specs, the 280 will probably be in the 1600-2000$ price range just like typical ranges for the 9700M GTS and 9800M + follow. Those will be 15-17" laptops depending on manufacturer. The 295 will be the deal crusher. Probably a 2000-3000$ dollar laptop, have to be a 17" and definitely dominate.

I'm still happy with my 8800MGTX,

Unless a really graphically intesive game comes out that I want and kills my card, I prob won't be upgrading.

And yah GT300 DX11 gpu is out at same time as GT2xxM.

But the current DX10 cards are DX11 compatible anyways.

I'm still happy with my 8800MGTX,

Unless a really graphically intesive game comes out that I want and kills my card, I prob won't be upgrading.

And yah GT300 DX11 gpu is out at same time as GT2xxM.

But the current DX10 cards are DX11 compatible anyways.

haha! you wish :)

It may run dx11 programs with fixed functions but it won't have tesselation or stuff like that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Of the first out, the G105M, G110M and GT130M each:

"...represent a significant performance increase in their respective segments. The GeForce G105M is over 55%i faster than the previous NVDIA product in its segment, while the GeForce G110M is 35%ii faster than NVIDIA’s previous mainstream GPU. The GeForce GT 130M is around 17%iii faster than its predecessor. "

"iGeForce 9200M GE scores 1391 in 3DMark Vantage and is being replaced by GeForce G105M which scores 2177, a difference of 56%. Tests performed on a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Montevina chipset.

iiGeForce 9300M GS scores 1841 in 3D Mark Vantage and is being replaced by GeForce G110M which scores 2481, a difference of 35%. Tests performed on a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Montevina chipset.

iiiGeForce 9600M GT scores 5230 in 3DMark Vantage and is being replaced by GeForce GT 130M which scores 6154, a difference of 17%. Tests performed on a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Montevina chipset."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1231412564434.html

Much of it seems like more renaming. A GT130M seems to be a 9650M.