LaptopVideo2Go Forums

External Graphics Cards

Tanith

I love my laptop but its main drawback is that it is next to impossible to upgrade the graphics card. I came across a few articles on a possible solution to this being an external graphics card but I am unsure if they truly work or not.

The laptop I own is a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21Z which has a Nvidia Geforce 8600M Card. I was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience with external graphics cards. If they do indeed work would one work with my specific Laptop model and if so what possible external graphics cards would I be able to use.

I have heard about the asus xg station (probably the only one of it's kind). I don't know if it has been released or if it will be. It connects to your Express Card slot so it allows pci-e 1 which will probably limit memory bandwidth. Your laptop should be upgradeable though, as it is mxm II and should be able to upgrade to an 8600m gt. I am unsure about this though and you should check before you buy an mxm card.

As anderw said the Asus XG station is indeed an option, and is available. Unfortunately the max video card it can use is the 8600 GT. so not really a good option.

I have heard about the asus xg station (probably the only one of it's kind). I don't know if it has been released or if it will be. It connects to your Express Card slot so it allows pci-e 1 which will probably limit memory bandwidth. Your laptop should be upgradeable though, as it is mxm II and should be able to upgrade to an 8600m gt. I am unsure about this though and you should check before you buy an mxm card.

Wait a sec I can upgrade my laptop models graphics card?

Edited by Tanith

And it should be.