LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GTA IV on Geforce 9600M GS

abhisheksohal

Hi

I plan to buy a new laptop with the following config.-

Intel C2D T5800 2ghz processor(2mb cache,800 Mhz FSB)

4 gb ddr2 ram

Geforce 9600M GS with 512 dedicated memory..

I wanna know at what settings it can run fluently on this laptop?? I mean it should be playable(around 20 fps or so)...

and how do i go about getting the best performance from this card?

Also will games run well on this in Vista too?? Or should i go for dual boot with vista and windows 7?? coz i've heard that windows 7 gives better gaming performance...?? And should i install 64 bit windows to utilize all the 4 gb ram? Will each and every game like Crysis,Farcry2,PoP,Assassin's creed etc. run w/o any problem on this??

Edited by abhisheksohal

To utilize the 4gb ram you should have 64bits system. For the gaming performance, GTA IV is a very CPU demanding game, and you'll be limited first by the CPU than the GPU. (I have T5450 1.66Ghz, with 8600M GS (ubberclocked (lol))), and I can play @ 1024*768 everything on low. You can expect a little bit more I think. Vista or Windows 7 ? Windows 7 is still in beta stage and you can have compatibility issues (for example to install GTA IV you have to run installation in Windows XP compatibility mode). But effectively it's a little bit faster than vista. You'll can play descently Facry2, PoP, and assassin's creed. For Crysis it's another story and without tweak.. too hard for smooth play (Or @ low and it's very very awfull, Farcry 1 looks way better..) low res and medium will do the trick.

(Sorry if any error in my english, I'm french^^)

You can expect a little bit more I think. For Crysis it's another story and without tweak.. too hard for smooth play (Or @ low and it's very very awfull, Farcry 1 looks way better..) low res and medium will do the trick.

You can expect a lot more for crysis. Its one of those games which will run better than you think. Medium at 1280 x 800 will get get you an average of 22 fps, and strangely 22~25 fps in crysis is playable. I would use the pydon shader tweak if I were you though.

Playable but not really pleasant to play (and with Ice/snow levels, fps fall is even more "unpleasant"(?) ) And I have to say that my desktop computer can run it all maxed out. So, on my lappy, it's hard for me to be objective, because the ingame quality is not comparable. Crysis is for me a "Graphical Experience" for first, and play it on low spec isn't as good..

Sorry for the double post, something went wrong.

But, replying to the message of the topic starter, FORGET ABOUT IT.

I have almost the same laptop as that one you are mentioning.

2.0 ghz dual core

3 gb RAM

9600m GS

Now, you would indeed think that it works, well, no, it won't. Why ? The processor is way, WAY to slow.

Everything low ~ 18 fps , medium--> unplayable. I don't know why, but it just won't work, sadly.

It's strange, Jello.. Maybe bad driver or ? Maybe you talk about Crysis Warhead ? "First" Crysis is less demanding. Warhead is unplayable on my Lappy (T5450 @ 1.66Ghz, 2go DDR2667 8600M GS 256mo TC Overclocked it's true... (7200pts 3Dmark 05 on windows 7)), but Crysis is fairly playable @ 1024*768 with a tweak and sunshafts activated^^, way better than medium setting in term of quality. 9600 GS do 7700pts on average at 3Dmark 05, so more power than my 8600m.. Strange that you have those scores. Everyting on low i have between 35 and 80 fps on island.

heys... i have that graphics card but with only 256mb ddr3.. i have no problems running games.. and crysis runs well (as long as i use dox's drivers xD )

still my specs are better than urs as u can c!(left side)

currently im using windows 7 and it runs smoothly...

It's strange, Jello.. Maybe bad driver or ? Maybe you talk about Crysis Warhead ? "First" Crysis is less demanding. Warhead is unplayable on my Lappy (T5450 @ 1.66Ghz, 2go DDR2667 8600M GS 256mo TC Overclocked it's true... (7200pts 3Dmark 05 on windows 7)), but Crysis is fairly playable @ 1024*768 with a tweak and sunshafts activated^^, way better than medium setting in term of quality. 9600 GS do 7700pts on average at 3Dmark 05, so more power than my 8600m.. Strange that you have those scores. Everyting on low i have between 35 and 80 fps on island.

Well, i was talking about GTA IV, i actually bought the game, and it really ran like sh*t, patched and all, latest drivers, patch for GTA IV, the shortcut commands like -norestrictions blablabla, i actually tried everything, and it just would not run properly. But, games like fallout 3 run great, but saints row 2 s*cks again :) So, I don't know what is wrong with games these days, but it looks like that sandbox games really do not run properly. I don't doubt about that crysis is playable, i tried ^^ I got decent performance right there.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanna tell u that now this same laptop is coming with P8400 processor( 2.26 ghz, 3MB cache, 1066 Mhz FSB) and rest of the same config i.e. 4 gb ddr2 ram, geforce 9600M GS with 512 MB dedicated . So now how will this perform with GTA iv and a lot of other games like crysis, far cry2 etc. ??

Guest Nismo91

there should be no problem with that laptop.

im using a laptop to play GTA IV, Crysis WH, FarCry 2 etc.

its a 5930G - P8600, 4GB DDR2, 9600M GT 512 DDR3.

GTA IV should be able to be played with the GS as well. even my friend using his 5920G (8600M GT 256) can play it smoothly at low settings.

farcry 2 can be played in medium settings, and crysis, in some medium settings and some low settings.

dont worry about the 4GB RAM, the turbocache (applicable to most geforce mobile card) will eat usually 1GB of ram and u're left with 3GB RAM. just nice as the only recognize 3.2GB max RAM. (unless u;re running 64-bit windows)

so go get the laptop and start playing! :)

Ohk! I also wanna ask tha if i install 32 bit OS then around 3 gb would be utlized and can the remaining 1gb ram(after the 3gb has been allocated to the OS) be utilized by the GPU?? Can we set the amount of RAM utilized by the GPU using turbocache? And if i run GTA IV in 64 bit OS..will it improve performance?

Guest Nismo91

hmm. unfortunately the turbocache function is usually limited to hardware capabilities. my cousin GO 7600 can only takes 256MB from RAM, my gf 8600M GT can only takes 768MB of RAM, and my 9600M GT can only take 1.25GB for Turbocache. i dont know whether there is a tweak to turbocache. but turbocache are not as fast as dedicated video memory.

i dont know how it works really. but i do understand that it only takes RAM when needed. so i check my spec at computer properties and PC Wizard 08. both says my RAM is 4GB. both also says my 9600M GT is 512MB. but when i check at dxdiag, it says only 3066MB RAM, but 1777MB 9600M GT. that is definitely the turbocache. when i check at display properties (vista) it says: dedicated = 512MB, shared = 1277MB, total = 1789MB.

so u see, it depends, but im quite happy to know that at least, the RAM is definitely used by the geforce and i still have 3GB RAM.

i dont think there is performance increase if u use 64-bit OS. u need to know GTA IV is both CPU & GPU intensive. much demanding than the famous Crysis. Hence, if u want much more performance, u need to buy better laptop. it surely cost a bomb though. i personally am happy with the current GTA IV in my laptop. when i maxed out all graphic settings until i got 10-15 fps, i can see there is no much "surprise" compared to medium details. of course there are differences, which are the bloom effects, closer draw distance (u can see details of far buildings) etc.

• 4 months later...
Guest Guest

Well i have Acer asspire 7730g with 512mb GF 9600m GT and plaing GTA 4 on medium details 1440x900 with 45 fps average u just need to get new drivers for everything in ur notebook get windows 7 and set graphic card to balanced mode between quality and performance only problem is that your notebook will be noisy like hell and ur gpu will work on like 70 degrees but its normal have that notebook more than year and no damage to gpu so its normal.Dont worry just try tweaking. Btw gta 4 updates helped alot in performance aswell. Good luck :)