LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Realtek instead of IDT?

Guest GfxApprentice

Hi,

I have HP dv5-1160ew with IDT HD audio - do you think i can install Realtek HD drivers instead of IDT drivers?

Sorry, but this is not possible.

Realtek is a competitor of IDT (formerly Sigmatel), and they each make totally separate and incompatible sound chips. It's unfortunate because I liked the Realtek chipset on my old desktop much better than the Sigmatel chipset on my Dell laptop.

• 2 years later...

Realtek is a competitor of IDT (formerly Sigmatel), and they each make totally separate and incompatible sound chips. It's unfortunate because I liked the Realtek chipset on my old desktop much better than the Sigmatel chipset on my Dell laptop.

I have an Acer 4738z with the Realtek ALC 272x chip and a HP DV6-3015tx with a IDT solution which is enhanced with Dolby sound. Comparing the the two the Realtek chip sounds punchy while the IDT kind of sounds a little washed out. Don't get me wrong, the IDT is decent BUT comparatively not on par with the Realtek solution. Another point in consideration is that the Acer with Realtek audio is a very basic machine without any Dolby or SRS sound while the more capable HP DV6 still can't match the basic Realtek solution even with the addition of Dolby. Another thing in consideration, my HP and the previous Dell I had with IDT had a very unresponsive equalizer that seemed more a gimmick that a functional tool. The Realtek on the other hand responds well to minute adjustments in the EQ. The Realtek on my desktop and Acer laptop sounds very good and work the same way from a driver perspective; currently I run an Asus Xonar in the desktop which will beat Realtek,IDT and bury Creative labs when it comes to performance in Windows 7. This is my subjective assessment.