LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Atheros AR928X on Asus N10J (Vista Premium x86)

nsb02

I've seen on different forums that there is a problem with the draft N link on this WLAN card, but it seems that there is no issue to solve this problem. It's not my big problem because it works perfectly at 54 Mbit/s. It's weird because when I leave my cursor on this connection it says that this is a N network...

My second problem appears on another forum, I want to create an ad hoc connection on my laptop to use pdanet with 3G internet on the go for my laptop.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...53&tstart=0

Finally, "Horzer" suceed using a Sony driver but the link doesn't work... So I tried a lot of drivers, modded and original.

Nothig worked, my wifi connection connects at 54 Mbit and my ad hoc doesn't work on my iphone(My computer always write "Waiting for users to connect to your adhoc network" as in the link above).

(with the modded driver v.1.20 the card doesn't go on... with the 1.19 it's ok and I'm able to change manually in the driver parameters the ad hoc channel and it works great)

Please help me I don't want to carry a USB WLAN dongle with my small laptop :P (or big netbook... as you want). :)

Sorry for my english but I'm french. :)

Edited by nsb02

So you need to use v1.19 INF with newer drivers.

If that v INF works just replace the INF in a newer driver and see how it goes.

Atheros cards are just to finnecky to work with, can only work with the cards I have.

But other cards in other machines seem to behave differently

So you need to use v1.19 INF with newer drivers.

If that v INF works just replace the INF in a newer driver and see how it goes.

Atheros cards are just to finnecky to work with, can only work with the cards I have.

But other cards in other machines seem to behave differently

Thanks for this fast reply, I didn't know I can use the same INF for different driver version. I'll try that right now....

Ofcourse you can, it will just show the wrong version in Device manager

Ofcourse you can, it will just show the wrong version in Device manager

Nothing changed... I used v7.6.1.194 with INF v1.19. The only difference is the version displayed in Device manager and I can modify some parameters... I don't know what parameter to modify to solve my problems. It appears that Atheros has forgotten us it's boring because except the driver problems there are good products I think.

I've tried to modify some parameters with another driver version with the same INF and only the Adhoc channel Selection worked.

The only clue that make me believe it can work is that if I set a password in my adhoc connection on my laptop and I enter it correctly on my iPhone, it connects, if not it doesn't. After, if I open a webpage on my iPhone the signal indicator on my laptop goes up but the waiting message doesn't change. So, they communicate but my laptop network card is crazy. :)

Edited by nsb02

You need one of these

There is a special section in the Client Utility for setting up adhoc, will be a breeze to setup.

The best I can do for Atheros advice is go Ralink.

You need one of these

There is a special section in the Client Utility for setting up adhoc, will be a breeze to setup.

The best I can do for Atheros advice is go Ralink.

I've tried this Ralink driver and Clieny Utility but they don't fit with my WLAN card, didn't install.

I also tried some drivers from the MSI Wind U120 that have the same WLAN card in it, these are for XP. It install very well and my ad hoc connection works. But the N network don't work and windows says that my router connection is a 802.11g one. But this is not the big problem because even with the vista's drivers it does't work anyway... it is that my card cannot goes ON and OFF, the indicator light goes OFF a moment but my card stays active and later the light returns ON.

Another thing I see is when creating ad hoc, I cannot select WPA as Encrypting method. Maybe it doesn't support WPA keys... I haven't tried that.

So, Win XP drivers don't work great... Ralink drivers don't install... and vista drivers are really bad even if they are made for it.

I give you the full information about this WLAN card that is write below my tiny notebook:

WLAN mini card Module: AW-NE771

Model number: AR5B91

Thank you for your help I'll keep searching by my side... :)

Edited by nsb02